Web Pages and Communication

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Bani DOM 6 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
     Toa Baja KOR 
    Spectator

I’m in several on-line leagues and am generally very active in each. There are many outstanding facets to the WBH including links on how to’s that are well spelled out and easy to follow.

However, I find the WBH confusing when it comes to aspects of the web pages and communication (email with sim info is good). This is not to say that I don’t like the league and this is most definitely not a criticism of those that spend a lot of time doing great things for us GM’s. I do think the league experience could be enhanced if a few issues could be looked at. I’m a relatively new guy here so there may be some things that I’m just missing but more to the point here are my suggestions:

1. Eliminate the outdated standings on the home page and just turn them into links for the teams. Or keep them updated.
    2. Sim threads that are up to date and sequential, easy to follow for each league. Our sim thread is locked right now. Other threads go way back in years and it’s questionable if these are looked at very often.
    3. I think there is a place for historical information threads but they should be separated from current threads.
    4. Maybe GM team names and GM’s could be listed in the hierarchy chart.

Just throwing a few things out there for consideration. Thanks for listening.

Santurce de CAN 
    Spectator

Those all sound like good ideas to me.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

1. agreed

2. we use “season” threads as opposed to individual discussion threads for each sim. the Sims forum was formerly used as a place to record when each sim was uploaded, with pertinent news for each sim (not as a place for discussion, which is why it’s locked). but since we’ve been using email to pass along sim information, the Sims forum has become a relic. however, I would also like to see it used, and was considering doing it myself following the simmer’s email – mostly as a placeholder for where we’re at in the season and when the next sim is supposed to be. if there’s interest, I will begin doing it.

3. not sure what you mean here. since we use “season” threads, the current season stays pinned to the top of the forum, while previous seasons slide down the forum over time from lack of posting.

4. agreed, good idea in theory, but with the number of GMs we have here, it’s a bookkeeping exercise to maintain it – especially keeping an online roster current. maybe a good compromise would be to *require* every GM to put their name in their forum signature. that way if you need to find a GM, you can use the forum member directory.

Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

@Taegu (VEN) wrote:

1. agreed

2. if there’s interest, I will begin doing it.

4. maybe a good compromise would be to *require* every GM to put their name in their forum signature. that way if you need to find a GM, you can use the forum member directory.

1. YES

2. YES

4. YES – AND links to their teams (this means you Moca Man Dan – since your team goes up and down all the time I always forget where the hell you are) Cap_PDT_01_05

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

Molson just assume I am at the absolute bottom and work your way up when you cannot find me. But always on the left side, since I will NEVER get to USA to end up switching sides lol

Puerto Plata USA 
    Spectator

I would like there to be a thread that is updated after each new sim. Or, if there is not a sim run for some reason, the simmer updates the thread to let us know if there is going to be a delay and provide ETA. Like right now, I have no idea if yesterday’s sim was run or if there is a delay for some reason because I did not get an email and there is nothing posted about a delay.

I appreciate everything that is done by people to keep the league running, but this would be my #1 wish if we were to change anything.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Puerto Plata (CUB) wrote:

Like right now, I have no idea if yesterday’s sim was run or if there is a delay for some reason because I did not get an email and there is nothing posted about a delay.

Yesterday’s sim was run.

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

@Puerto Plata (CUB) wrote:

I would like there to be a thread that is updated after each new sim. Or, if there is not a sim run for some reason, the simmer updates the thread to let us know if there is going to be a delay and provide ETA. Like right now, I have no idea if yesterday’s sim was run or if there is a delay for some reason because I did not get an email and there is nothing posted about a delay.

I appreciate everything that is done by people to keep the league running, but this would be my #1 wish if we were to change anything.

Today the sim was late because I completely forgot it was a sim day. In that instance there’s not going to be a notification, seeing as if I forgot the sim entirely, I’d also forget to send an email. 🙂

We do strive to communicate these problems when we can…when there’s a known reason, it’ll be communicated. From my end, it’ll usually come by email rather than on the forum, but other GMs are usually good about translating my
    messages onto the site.

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

As for the comments about the website, they are good, in general. The problem, as it always is, is time.

As for forums, I don’t really like forums at all, to be honest, because they are awkward in terms of replying to specific comments earlier in a thread, and whatnot. There has been a long-standing project to revamp the site, but it hit a wall long ago, and though it will get picked up again eventually, it will not be anytime soon.

I would like to dispense with forums altogether in favor of a more fluid “news” post sort of setup, where content can be dynamically pushed to the front page (or pushed there by people with editorial privileges), and where discussion can happen right underneath, like on facebook, for example. I’d like every team to have its own section, where they can have their own articles, but which are automatically pushed into “league” threads, and ultimately maybe to the front page itself. And then, also an ongoing twitter-like feed of quick-burst thoughts people can leave under any league, for trash talk, and funny one-liners and the like.

Especially noteworthy in this respect are the “Blog” forum posts…in this site they’re kind of buried, but imagine instead that those posts were articles on your home team page that anyone could easily comment on, or promote to the front page for greater visibility. This would put less burden on us to keep the home page “fresh” with content, since anyone’s content could go there.

Those are the big ideas. It’s been in the works, but it’ll be a ways off.

As for small items in the meantime, in the current somewhat disjointed system (we have a wordpress install + the PHPBB install, plus some custom pages, plus the OOTP reports), you’re absolutely right that we should clean up broken content, and whatnot. The standings, for example, rely on a database dump that hasn’t happened in a long time. I should either do the dumps, or ditch it and replace with something persistent (team links is a good idea).

Toa Baja KOR 
    Spectator

Thanks, Marc, for the responses. You put in considerable time in managing the league behind the scenes as well as up front so it would be great to see some adjustments to the web pages as they fit with your schedule.

Even if you do nothing (else) you do a very nice job running the league. Thank you!

Bani DOM 
    Spectator

@Hong Kong (CUB) wrote:

As for small items in the meantime, in the current somewhat disjointed system (we have a wordpress install + the PHPBB install, plus some custom pages, plus the OOTP reports), you’re absolutely right that we should clean up broken content, and whatnot. The standings, for example, rely on a database dump that hasn’t happened in a long time. I should either do the dumps, or ditch it and replace with something persistent (team links is a good idea).

While a nice touch, the dumps add work to the sim and persistent links would be a better placeholder, IMHO.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOIN US

If you would like to join, send us a message with a little bit about you and your OOTP history.

Sending

©2019 World Baseball Hierarchy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar