The Jays Nest

This topic contains 46 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jeonju CUB 5 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
     Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

Under new management, the Jeonju Jays had the 4th pick in the South Korean draft and went with the top American prospect available. The selection was California HS starting pitcher Tavio Estevens, who started 12 games and went 8-0 with a 0.84 ERA, 0.77 WHIP, 115/10 K/BB in 86 IP. Estevens was able to rely on his stuff in HS but only tops out in the mid 80’s and will have to head to Single-A to work on becoming a pitcher and locating his pitches. He doesn’t have the stuff to project as an ace but should fit into the middle of the rotation if he can develop his control.

Estevens Link – http://worldbaseballhierarchy.com/lgreports/news/html//players/player_17951.html

Next Selections: 2nd Round (12th Overall), 3rd Round (20th Overall)

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

Day 2 Summary

2nd Round (12th Overall) – OF Man-su Cho
    Key Attributes: 6-8-8-6-5 potential, 9 Rating in LF, 9 Stealing Ability, 7 Speed
    Personality: Leader Ability – High, Intelligence – Very High, Greed – Very Low
    Cho is a 20 year-old college outfielder from Seoul and will remain in his home country to play for the Jays. Cho projects as a left-handed power hitter with potential for a respectable on-base and batting average. He won’t hurt you in the field either as he already provides plus-defense in left field. He’s not the fastest guy in the world but will be a threat on the bases. In 49 college games, Cho had a .317/.394/.615 slash with 14 HR, 56 RBI, and he went 36/40 on SB attempts.

3rd Round (20th Overall) – LH SP Ju-hyung Kim
    Key Attributes: 5-7-7 potential, 89mph FB, 6 Stamina, 4 Pitches, 54% GB
    Personality: Leader Ability – High, Loyalty – High, Intelligence – Very High
    Kim is a South Korean HS left-hander who will also stay in his home country to play ball for the Jays. He doesn’t have the best stuff but has respectable velocity, 4 pitches that all move around and solid control. It always helps to be a lefty and especially a young lefty that the coaches can work with. In 15 starts during his senior year, Kim went 8-2 with a 1.58 ERA, 0.96 WHIP and 118-17 K/BB rate in 102.2 IP. He projects to the back end of a rotation which we’re happy to get in the 3rd round.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

The Jays have acquired LF Myung-chor Yun in a salary dump deal from the Santiago de Cuba Rough Riders. Yun was overmatched at the USA Level last year, but does posses a lot of power that could prove to be useful in Korea. His 5/7/9/4/5 ratings against LHP should help him compete for a platoon gig in the outfield against left-handed pitching.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

The Jays were very aggressive on the waiver wire to help fill out a roster prior to Spring Training. We signed 2 outfielders that may find their way into our Opening Day starting lineup.

LF Yannick Rounthwaite
    6.7.5.6.6 Ratings, 10 Rating in LF
    He’s a 30 year old lefty bat from Las Vegas that is under contract for 5 more years at $1.1M per year, which seems like a fair contract from the Jays perspective. We have to assume that Bonao wanted out from under the contract so badly that they were willing to waive him. If he can replicate his .275/.359/.435 slash with 11 HR’s line from last year, then I will be extremely pleased. Even if there’s some regression, I think that we’re getting a decent player, at a reasonable price, fo’ free… even if he doesn’t play against lefties.

RF Chia-lang Pang
    5.8.6.6.5, 8 Rating in RF
    This 32 year old lefty is signed to a $700k contract and still under team control, probably through the end of his career. He’s never seen full-time at bats, but did manage to hit 5 HR’s and post a .745 OPS in 106 Cuban league at bats at couple years ago. He figures to start against righties in right field.

More on the pitchers we claimed, as well as Round 4-10 picks later…

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

wow, you really did alot of work in a short amount of time to build a respectable ML roster. good job

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Jeonju even gets to celebrate their first Hall of Famer!

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

Thanks guys, I’m trying to make us at least semi-respectable this year without giving up anything for later. The first issue was only having 15 guys on the roster! I didn’t know we had a Hall of Famer! Obviously, this front office had nothing to do with that but we’ll research it and give him the recognition that is deserved. Cap_PDT_01_07

To continue our trend of filling out the roster with rejects from other squads, the Jays have claimed 3 relievers on waivers, two have joined the team already and one is expected to join shortly…

MR Laurence Trepanier
    9.6.3 ratings, 98 MPH FB, 10 Rated Changeup
    He put up an ERA of 3.96, 3.05 and 2.96 in 2028-2030 before seeing his ERA balloon to 7.41 last year. He obviously struggles with his control at time but like his stuff and expect an improvement over last season. The Jays are expecting an ERA in the 3.25 to 4.75 range. It’s a wide range but for $650k this season, we’ll take it.

MR Loic Robitaille
    5.6.5 ratings, Former 1st Round Pick, Lefty
    He fills the need of a left-hander in the bullpen. Everyone can use those, so we took a flyer on the former first round pick who is on a minor league contract. He’s appeared in 74 games, starting 54 in his career while racking up a 4.40 ERA. At 27, his career takes a turn to the bullpen where he’ll try to find a niche with the Jays.

MR Dan Shaw
    5.6.5 ratings, 9 stamina, 4 pitches
    This 30 year old reliever will be used as the long man in our bullpen and may get a spot start here and there. He missed all of last season with an injury and has just 4.1 IP of ML experience. We expect him to eat some innings this year for the Jays, especially given the state of the rotation. He’s on a minor league contract so no risk in claiming him.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

The Jays have made another trade with a team looking to dump salary, this time with Korean rival Wuhan. The Jays have added veteran starting pitcher Sergio Gomez and outfield prospect Hai-feng Zi in exchange for $1.

Gomes is a 33 year old righty who is in the last year of his contract and will make $12M this season. His ratings have recently regressed to 5.6.7 but in 290 career games (287 starts), he is 128-70 with a 3.49 ERA and 1.22 WHIP. The Jays have a need in the rotation and Gomes will fit in nicely in Jeonju. He’s a shell of what he once was but the drop in competition should lead to an improvement over last season (8-10, 4.48 ERA).

Zi was sent as consideration for accepting the salary dump. He was the 2nd round selection of the Blackhawks, 10th overall, in the 2032 Korea Draft that just happened. Just prior to the draft results being revealed, the Jays front office touted him as one of the players they were hoping to get. The Legends proclaimed he was #1 on their board after day one but he went to Wuhan prior to either the Jays / Legends getting a chance to pick. He’s very raw and is a boom or bust prospect, but the Jays do see superstar potential if he can work on his game in the minors. The 18 year old has 5.8.9.5.5 potential with 10 speed/stealing/baserunning/bunt for hit. He has a fairly average personality and defensive game but at 18 years old there’s a lot of time for him to work on his game.

Overall, the Jays are happy to fill a rotation spot with a proven veteran. It’s a bonus that we’ve added a prospect that we wanted to take in the draft. There’s still much work to do, but this trade helps the ML team, the farm and doesn’t hit the payroll beyond this season.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

Middle rounds – The Jays wanted to go with a mid-round approach of adding as many young prep players as possible. The farm system is fairly weak and we want to build depth from top to bottom. It starts at the bottom so we’re loading as many 17-19 year olds as possible. There is a very heavy weight towards pitchers because the scouting department wasn’t very impressed with the positional players this year. All in all, I’m pretty satisfied but maybe some of the WBH veterans can further comment about my draft.

Round 4 – SP Justino Roman
    4.6.8 potential, 17 years old
    His 4 endurance rating is fairly low and is stuff isn’t all that impressive but I was happy to get a young pitcher with ML potential this late in the draft. This is the type of guy who could make a few strides and turn into a very legitimate prospect. Being 17 years old, our coaches have a lot of time to work with him. I really liked this return in the 4th round.

Round 5 – CF/SP Sang-mok Son
    4.7.4 potential as SP, 5.5.1.3.6 potential as CF, 9 Speed, 10 Steal, 17 years old, Lefty
    This is one of the more interesting prospects in the draft as he was listed as an outfielder but I think he’s better suited as a pitcher. It’s worth noting that if I make him a reliever, his potential is already 6.7.4 as a lefty reliever. He will obviously need to work on his control but I find this guy very interesting. He’s going to be a pitcher to start and if he fails, we’ll move him to the outfield.

Round 6 – SP Don Kelloway
    3.4.7 potential, 17 years old, Lefty, 9 stamina
    Nothing more than a very long shot of a prospect. We like the fact that he has a high stamina rating and good control. If he can improve his stuff/movement, he has the potential to be a crafty lefthander at the back of a rotation who eats innings up.

Round 7 – MR Alfonso Trujillo
    5.4.7 potential, 19 years old
    One of the few college players selected by the Jays. He has slightly more potential than Kelloway in the round before, but less stamina / RHP / 2 years older. He’ll need to make some moves pretty quickly if he wants to be considered a real prospect. Trujillo won’t be given the shot to be a starter and will try to quickly move through Single-A this year in a middle relief role.

The late rounds – At this point, the talent pool really started to fall off. Our picks are all very young but they have a long way to go before they can approach being useful players at the ML level. Nothing really to write about here…

Round 8 – SS Yoo-chul Chong
    5.3.1.3.4 potential, 18 years old

Round 9 – SP Byung-hyun Im
    4.4.4 potential, 90mph FB, 18 years old, 9 stamina

Round 10 – SP Sok-yung Sip
    3.5.4 potential, 18 years old, 8 stamina

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

An unnamed member of the Jays front office was today quoted as saying, “I think we’re really trying to get a handle on the economics of this league. Despite being way under budget and having a ton of cash, it feels impossible to even make a play at the remaining free agents – all of whom are flawed. We haven’t been around for the start of a season to see what happens to these guys so I’m just going to assume they will drop demands soon, or they will go unsigned. But, I’m completely puzzled with this free agent economy. At this point, supply is greater than demand, but the prices are still well over the fair market price. We have spent less than half of our budget and feel broke.”

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

The patchwork Jays have finished Spring Training with a 13-11 mark, which is better than their fans expected. There’s not a whole lot of news but there are a few things to note…

CL Jian-cheng Hua tore his labrum and is out for 4 months. The Jays are optimistic that he will be able to return late in the season. The timing is bad as he just signed a 2 year extension for $1.3M per year prior to the injury.

The injury to Hua opened the door for free agent signee Taisuke Kurogane to earn the closer role. Kurogane pitched 8 scoreless innings in Spring Training. That coupled with 160 career saves made him the logical choice as the new Jays closer. At 36, Kurogane has not held down a closer role since 2027 for La Habana.

SP Suk Om dazzled everyone in Spring Training. In 4 starts, he threw 16 innings and racked up a 23/3 K/BB ratio. He had a 0.56 ERA and opponents hit just .175 against him.

Waiver claim OF Yannick Rounthwaite had 52 at bats from the leadoff spot and posted a 1.014 OPS.

The Jays farm system moved up from #4 to #3 in Korea behind a strong draft class.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

We’ve finally had time to digest the trade of our franchise catcher to the Vancouver Ventures and get our first impressions of a major trade that sent 8 players to Jeonju.

To Vancouver:
    C Clark Bowers
    7.6.5.7.8 current ratings, 29 years old, $1.7M Salary, 8 Defensively, Good Personality, Popular
    He really had it all including a very reasonable deal that paid him $1.7M through the end of 2033. In the end, the Jays management thought that it would probably be too costly to re-sign him. The decision was made that despite being in contention this year, the Jays should attempt to move him while his value was still relatively high. In his 659 game career in Jeonju, he posted a .287/.368/.413 slash but his OPS soared over the .900 mark in each of the last 2 seasons. He’s currently posting a .909 OPS in 22 games split between Jeonju and Vancouver. He almost made his way to Bonao and they were the early favorite in the negotiations.

To Jeonju:
    C Nobuo Asai (ML)
    6.7.6.5.5 ratings, 29 years old, 8 catcher rating, $580k through 2033
    He was really just a throw in to save Vancouver some salary but has performed nicely in his first 2 weeks with Jeonju. I’m not sure if he’s ever been the unquestioned #1 starter but with no one in the pipeline, he’s the starter for the Jays and he seems happy. In 11 games with the Jays, he’s posted a .825 OPS and through out 42% of the runners trying to steal on him. Very small sample size but it’s been a nice find.

SP/MR Marcus Bornio
    5.5.9 ratings, 34 years old, 9 endurance, $800k through 2033
    Much like Asai, Bornio was a salary dump. He was a late addition to the deal and I really like pitchers with good control so I was excited about what he brought. So far he’s been a disappointment out of the bullpen, posting a 9.53 ERA in 5.2 IP. He’s been very unlucky as shown by a .474 BABIP. I think he might be more successful in the rotation and I have a starter struggling so I might make the move to him as a starter soon despite the poor numbers.

SP Pyeong-kyu Kang (AAA)
    6.7.6 potential, 4 endurance, 24 years old, Very High – Leader / Work Ethic / Intelligence
    He’s got some solid skills to sit in the middle of my rotation in a couple years and I love his personality. The endurance leaves a lot to be desired but it’s offset by the personality. He’s repeating AAA in 2032 after posting a 3.49 ERA in 19 AAA starts in 2031. Probably won’t be called up this year as I have a couple other AAA starters in the pipeline that are more developed and older.

SP Shihei Shimao (AAA)
    6.6.5 potential, 23 years old, 96mph Fastball
    He went undrafted in the 2026 Draft but has worked hard to develop himself into a legitimate prospect after signing a minor league deal with Vancouver. The hope is that he can have success at AA this season and make the move to AAA next season to prepare for a potential ML career at the back of a rotation or in the bullpen. He’s not off to a promising start but its a small sample size.

CL Shi-fu Liu (AA)
    6.5.8 ratings, 23 years old, 4 endurance
    Liu is a former 10th round pick who has worked hard to make himself a legitimate prospect which I’m noticing is consistent with a lot of Ventures minor leaguers. I’m hoping he doesn’t have a heavy steroid program that I’m lacking and these guys will fall off the map! But anyways, Liu is slightly behind the desired level of development for a 23 year old but I’m encouraged by all of the potential boosts and the good personality. He won’t ever be a closer for the Jays but he’s filling that role in the minors to get him used to high leverage situations. He’s off to a good start and is 7/7 in save opportunities this year.

2B Edgar Calderon (AA)
    5.6.3.5.4 potential, 10 speed/steal, 22 years old, 10 IF errors, 9 Double Play, 8 arm
    If only his infield range was better than a 6…. But I guess if that were the case, I probably wouldn’t have been able to acquire him. Calderon has the potential to be a really good utility man and at 22 there’s some room to grow into more. He’s really struggled in AA since we acquired him, posting a .385 OPS in 50 at bats. In order to try to jump start him and show some confidence, we’ve moved him to the leadoff spot for next sim. Another guy to watch since even the smallest bump in hitting potential could make him a fringe starter at the big league level.

SS Vladimir Rentas (A)
    6.8.6.6.6 potential, 18 years old, 8 IF Range / DP, 7 Arm / Error
    For me, Rentas was the big jewel of this trade. I’m not sure exactly what it is other than having a baseball player named Vladimir, since I used to be a big Vlad Guerrero fan. I’m not 100% sure but I think his power and avoid K’s rating has jumped since I trade for him. The knock on Vlad is whether he can stick at shortstop as he progresses through the minors. The answer will be determined by what we have in the majors and in the pipeline by the time he reaches the show. At 18 years old, I’m not worried too much about his stats but he’s absolutely raked since being traded – posting a .354/.373/.542 slash in 12 games with the Jays A affiliate. Definitely a guy to keep an eye on.

SP Jorge Fresneda (A)
    4.8.7 potential, 21 years old, 6 endurance, 69% groundballs
    He was a third-round pick this year for the Ventures and I could tell a guy they really liked. At 21 years old, he’s got to perform right away in Single-A and he’s done it – posting a 2.13 ERA in 4 starts. The knock on him is low stuff and a lack of a solid 3rd pitch. He’s got 3 pitches but his changeup is only rated a 1 potential. He’s going to be given a chance to start throughout his early minor league career and we’ll see what happens. If it becomes evident that he’s not going to get that improved third pitch by AAA then he’ll make the transition to the pen where he can become a very solid left-handed reliever.

In Summary
    I’m happy. I give myself an A- for the trade. If Asai can keep it up and we stay in contention or if some guys continue to develop more then the grade will go higher. The only thing lacking is a real impact prospect which was my initial hope for the Bowers deal. But we’re really adding some juice to our farm which is the biggest goal in the next few years. That’s not to say Vancouver didn’t do well either because I think he got a good trade too. He gave up some ML players not useful to him, netted nothing in salary and moved prospects that if they reach full potential would still probably not start for his ballclub. That’s what’s cool about this tiered setup. I’ll always remember my first big trade as Jays GM.

I’m very open to feedback… Especially from Vancouver.

Chihuahua USA 
    Spectator

I agree with your thoughts. It seems to be a win-win due to the different tiers of the two parties. From Vancouver’s side the pieces given up may mostly be bench players in the USA league, despite being very solid pieces for you. I definitely like it for your side and I think it’s a very fine haul, but Vancouver is doing whatever it can to try to win now and this seems to help their goals too. I only wonder if Vancouver could have gotten more for what they gave up.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

6/5/2032 – Amidst a 4-game losing streak, there are some minor shakeups in Jeonju for tonight’s sim. First off, the Jays have claimed C An-shi Li on waivers from Changsha. Li is a switch hitting catcher with a rocket arm and good ability to handle pitchers. He’s better against RHP, which is the opposite of our current starter, and has a career runner thrown out percentage of 33.9%. Li and current starter Nobuo Asai will alternate starts against RHP with Asai getting all the starts vs LHP.

Additionally, Hoitsu Kiyomizu has finished his rehab assignment and been called up to the majors. He will resume his usual backup role at first base with a twist. Our outfielders have had trouble with LHP and we’re going to give Kiyomizu a trial run in an outfield platoon role given his 7.6.6.4.5 ratings vs lefties. He’ll surely have a negative ZR but we’re struggling to field .200 batting averages against left-handed pitching right now.

The Jays hope to improve a 15-15 record that is quite puzzling considering their #1 in the division bullpen and plus-26 run differential. We’ve got 3 in San Lorenzo followed by 3 at home against lowly Wuhan. Anything less than a winning sim will be a major disappointment.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

@Chihuahua (JPN) wrote:

I agree with your thoughts. It seems to be a win-win due to the different tiers of the two parties. From Vancouver’s side the pieces given up may mostly be bench players in the USA league, despite being very solid pieces for you. I definitely like it for your side and I think it’s a very fine haul, but Vancouver is doing whatever it can to try to win now and this seems to help their goals too. I only wonder if Vancouver could have gotten more for what they gave up.

Thanks for the feedback. Only time will tell. This is one of those trades that will be worthwhile looking back on every now and then to see how things are panning out.

Ultimately, this will probably judged on if Vancouver can win a USA Title before Bowers contract expires at the end of next year. Additionally, if they re-sign him what will they have to pay.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

There is much debate going on in the Jeonju war room over whether or not the Jays can compete for a division title this season. There are thoughts and news reports that the Jays are selling but recently emerged as a buyer in a deal that doesn’t involve rental players, and would be focused on the next few years. Anyways… both the Jays and first place Busan share a +31 run differential on the season, but the Jays find themselves at 22-26 and 5 games out of first. The big issue is that the Jays are 3-10 in one run games. The bullpen isn’t exceptional but it hasn’t been crippling to the point that it is the sole cause for losing these tight ballgames. The Jays have compiled a .789 OPS, good for second in Korea, just .004 back from Maracaibo, but that offense just isn’t clicking late in close ballgames. A perfect example of how the season is going is last sim’s 2-1 loss to Wuhan. The Jays outhit Wuhan 9-6 and also drew 7 walks compared to Wuhan’s 3. The Jays defense, which has made the fewest errors in Korea (18), made two errors. Meanwhile, Wuhan’s horrific defense (65 errors) didn’t make any errors. Additionally, Wuhan turned 3 double plays compared to 0 double plays for Jeonju. The additional slap in the face is that 2 of the doubleplays were 6-4-3 DP’s despite Wuhan’s poor middle infield – their SS has no rating at short and is rated 3 in turn DP, and their 2B is rated 1 at second with a 4 rating in DP. The other DP was started by a solid first baseman though he is only rated 4 in DP’s and turned by the aforementioned shortstop. The Jays, who couldn’t manage a DP, started Katagiri at short and Kim at second, both are exceptional fielders with 9 turn DP ratings. Granted, we didn’t have a GB pitcher on the mound and Wuhan did but it’s still frustrating. Easily the most horrific game of the season for the Jays.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

To extend on our earlier post, the Jays are attempting to shake things up and turn things around this sim. There are 3 noteworthy moves to report….

SP Jesus Alexandre, our #2 pitching prospect, has been called up to the majors and inserted into the starting rotation. In 9 starts in AAA this season, he posted a 2.78 ERA and 1.25 WHIP. He will make his major league debut against the division leading Busan Dragons.

Ray McIntyre has been moved to the bullpen into a setup role. The Jays still have high hopes for him being a mid-rotation starter but it just hasn’t worked out the past couple of seasons. He has electric stuff and translates to a 9.5.7 reliever, with 10 stuff against righties. The bullpen has been rather suspect lately and this move should strengthen it.

2B Jung-kyoo Kim, our #13 overall prospect, has been called up from AAA and will start in the place of Alberto Amella who will have a short stint on the DL. Kim has mashed his way to a .352/.422/.485 slash in 196 AAA at bats this season. After 964 AAA at-bats where he hit .311 with a .769 OPS, Kim finally will make his major league debut.

Dae Sim was optioned to AAA to make way for the callups. It was doing him no good to work through his issues in a long relief role and he’ll get to log innings in the AAA rotation. Sim posted was 1-6 with a 5.81 ERA in 12 games, 8 of which he started.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

The Jays made a couple moves this week that are expected to help them in the short-term this season as well as beyond. The first move was a trade with the Chihuahua Chihuahuas….

Jeonju Gets:
    SP Beck “Gasoline” Maitland – 6.8.6, 31 years old
    MR Felix Menchavez – 7.5.7, 28 years old

Chihuahua Gets:
    SP Ju-hyung Kim – 5.7.7 potential, 18 years old

Kim was our 3rd round pick this season and is a very promising prospect. He’s got solid ratings, a good personality, is young and performed well in Single-A for us (10 GS, 3.50 ERA). A little boost here and there and he could end up being a middle of the rotation starter, or better. Needless to say, I will be keeping track of him as he progresses through the Chihuahua minor league system.

In Beck Maitland, we get a former #1 overall pick who has been the anchor of the Chihuahua rotation since he came up to the majors. We’re eating his $11.1M salary this season which is way too high for a guy who had a 5.40 ERA in his first 12 starts in Chihuahua this season. However, he’s signed to a 3 year extension for $3.9M per season which is pretty reasonable for his talent level. I’m expecting him to be in the middle to back of my rotation for the remainder of that contract.

Felix Menchavez was a late developing reliever who wasn’t viewed as a potential major league option until a couple seasons ago. He hasn’t seen a lot of success so far but has only 1.5 years of ML service and 3 option years remaining. I think he’ll be significantly better than his career ML numbers indicate and he’s pretty cost controlled for the forseeable future.

Additionally, we claimed lefty reliever Carlos Blancarte on waivers from fellow Korean team Maracaibo. Blancarte struggled wildly with a 6.75 ERA in 13.1 IP with the Jackals but has thrown 3 shutout innings since joining the Jays. He’s rated 7.7.5 versus lefties and 7.6.5 overall so we figured it was worth giving him a shot to turn it around at a prorated $880k salary that expires this season.

Right now, we’re in talks for an additional starting pitcher and bullpen help. Before pulling the trigger on any deals, we’re going to take a “wait and see” approach to see how this sim goes since we’re matching up against the best two teams in Korea (Jackals/Volcanos). If we can manage at least 2 or 3 wins, expect the Jays to pull the trigger on another deal rather quickly… The tricky thing is we don’t want rentals and we don’t want to give up a ton of our top prospects. I’m trying to make deals that will help us this year and at minimum, next season as well. So far, we’ve done well with that because Maitland has a 3 year extension and Menchavez is under team control for 4 more seasons.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

The Jays have made another trade… it’s again with Chihuahua. This time Jeonju adds a proven closer as well as a young utility infielder in exchange for a young outfield prospect.

Jeonju Gets
    CL Bob Hogan (ML) – 10.7.4, 32 years old, 98mph, 73% GB
    SS Nevada Dimartinez (ML) – 5.7.5.3.4 potential, 24 years old, 10 Rating at SS

Chihuahua Gets
    OF Jae-ik Cho (A) – 5.8.6.6.5, 10 Speed, 19 years old, High Work Ethic

I’m in the curious position of being 30-36 and feeling like a buyer. We’re only 3 games back and with a minus-5 Pyt Record, I feel like we could be in much better shape. We went 3-10 in our first 13 one-run games and then made some major changes to the pen. Since then, we’re 4-3 in one-run games and after adding Hogan I think the bullpen is probably a strength. In 25.2 IP, he’s racked up 26 K’s and a 1.75 ERA to go along with 16 saves. Hogan is also signed through next season so he’s not just a rental which is why I pulled the trigger on this trade.

Dimartinez will be our utilityman and backup at all infield positions. He can even play the corner outfield spots if we’re in a real pinch. He has a very high work ethic so there’s always the possibility of a ratings increase but we didn’t factor that into our decision to acquire him. Not much else to write home about for Dimartinez.

I’ll be curious to follow the career of Jae-ik Cho, the 10th overall pick in the 2031 Draft. He was a draft choice of the previous GM so I didn’t feel the ties to him that I do to some of the guys that I have drafted / traded for which made it easier to trade him. Almost every team I talked trade with inquired about him which made me wonder what I was missing. Maybe I’m just too focused on defense and the fact that righty power bats die in Jeonju. Additionally, 3 of our top 4 prospects (Man-su, Hai-feng, Chae-pong) are corner outfielders so Jae-ik was probably blocked from an ML role assuming all prospects developed (probably not a fair assumption).

Good luck to Chihuahua. It was a pleasure dealing with you again.

Chihuahua USA 
    Spectator

From our end, Cho being a righty is a plus for us, as our park caters to right handed power bats very well. We’re also a bit lacking in young OF prospects in our system so Cho will definitely get an opportunity to play and develop. His work ethic is a bonus along with the fact that he gained a point in eye since the beginning of the year.

Nevertheless, he’ll need some more rating bumps in order to become productive at the ML level (an extra contact point could go a long way!) and I wish he had some better defense, but I imagine he hasn’t maxed out at LF yet. I don’t think I could’ve gotten much more for Hogan despite his excellent season. Dimartinez is a nice utility guy who is currently starting for me due to an injury to a starter, but I have plenty of other utility infielders in AAA so he was expendable.

Best of luck to Hogan and Dimartinez! I’ll be disappointed if the four players I sent over to Jeonju doesn’t at least bring a division championship there!

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

nice work and write ups Jeonju!

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

Thanks Ben / David… I enjoy writing these up and I always welcome any feedback whether it be agreeing on things or offering a difference of opinion. It’s definitely interesting to hear David’s take on the deal. It seems like both teams got what they were looking for which is what makes trading fun.

This recent weekend was a big one around the league with lots of trade talks heating up. We led into the weekend by making a pretty solid waiver claim….

CF Albert Costello – 6.3.1.7.7, 9 OF Range, 8 Def at CF, 10 Def at LF/RF
    With our BABIP being a prime cause of the pitching staff inefficiency, I’ve been looking at ways to improve this figure. We have plus defenders all around the field with the exception of CF and 2B. Our 2B, despite so-so D ratings, actually is posting a positive ZR this year so that left CF as the culprit. Upon further review, we have quite a few SP’s who are fly ball pitchers and were probably suffering from the play out there. Costello was brought in to be a positive defender in CF and also helps with another need which is OF’s that can hit LHP. Our previous platoon guys were not working, despite solid ratings, and the Jays are 10-15 vs LHP. Costello is signed through 2034 at a touch under $1M per year and he will become our everyday centerfielder. Hopefully he can hit for a decent average and draw a few walks to set the table for the top of our order, he’ll be hitting 9th. But in reality, anything he gives us offensively is just a bonus. P.S. He was born in 1999 and grew up in Guantanomo Bay. Rumor is that he was waived by the USA League after having his Visa revoked due to terror suspicions.

Despite big moves around the league at the deadline, sitting 5 games out and 40 to play, the Jays have stood pat. We made some inquiries on some middle infielders and right handed outfield bats but at the end of the day, there weren’t any deals that made sense for us. With Busan making some solid moves to improve their team, I thought it was better to not try to chase them and give up our future considering how far out we are.

However, I don’t think that the division race is over just yet. Our teams record does not match up with runs scored / allowed and I’m hoping for a change of luck there. Additionally, with picking up SP Maitland / CL Hogan / CF Costello / MR Menchavez, we have recently bettered our team. All of these players are under contract for next season when the Jays will return virtually their entire roster and have approximately $25M in Budget Room + $15M in Cash. Hopefully we can make a run this year. If we can’t, we return an entire roster that had a +31 Differential through 80 games, the benefit of recent acquisitions and $25-40M to play with, and a relatively intact farm (#2 in Korea). I like where we’re at.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

@Jeonju (KOR) wrote:

I’ll be curious to follow the career of Jae-ik Cho, the 10th overall pick in the 2031 Draft. He was a draft choice of the previous GM so I didn’t feel the ties to him that I do to some of the guys that I have drafted / traded for which made it easier to trade him. Almost every team I talked trade with inquired about him which made me wonder what I was missing. Maybe I’m just too focused on defense and the fact that righty power bats die in Jeonju. Additionally, 3 of our top 4 prospects (Man-su, Hai-feng, Chae-pong) are corner outfielders so Jae-ik was probably blocked from an ML role assuming all prospects developed (probably not a fair assumption).

Cho has quickly turned things around in the Chihuahua system. In 72 games in our system he posted an OPS of .610 but in 8 games in Chihuahua he posted a .930 OPS. Additionally, he’s seen his contact and eye rating jump and he’s now projecting to 6/8/6/7/5 which is very solid. May have dropped the ball on this one! Cap_PDT_01_15

@Jeonju (KOR) wrote:

SS Vladimir Rentas (A)
    6.8.6.6.6 potential, 18 years old, 8 IF Range / DP, 7 Arm / Error
    For me, Rentas was the big jewel of this trade. I’m not sure exactly what it is other than having a baseball player named Vladimir, since I used to be a big Vlad Guerrero fan. I’m not 100% sure but I think his power and avoid K’s rating has jumped since I trade for him. The knock on Vlad is whether he can stick at shortstop as he progresses through the minors. The answer will be determined by what we have in the majors and in the pipeline by the time he reaches the show. At 18 years old, I’m not worried too much about his stats but he’s absolutely raked since being traded – posting a .354/.373/.542 slash in 12 games with the Jays A affiliate. Definitely a guy to keep an eye on.

Vlad had another surge in his ratings this offseason and he’s now projecting out to 7/8/6/7/6. He also posted in .886 OPS in 71 Single-A games with us and will make the jump to AA this year. Fielding is still the question as he posted a -1.8 ZR with 18 errors in 65 games at shortstop. He’s only rated a 5 right now but I could forsee his rating climbing to 6 with a possible peak at 7 as he gains experience at the position. If he could stick at short, he would be a huge plus bat there.

Chihuahua USA 
    Spectator

Pleased with Cho’s development. It was a pleasant sight when opening the new OOTP14 file, hope he keeps it up!

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

@Chihuahua (DOM) wrote:

Pleased with Cho’s development. It was a pleasant sight when opening the new OOTP14 file, hope he keeps it up!

I’ve not had much time to contribute much lately, but I just saw Cho’s ratings today… Ughhhh….

Hogan was awesome for me, but he’ll walk to free agency without playing in any postseason baseball in Jeonju.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

For the first time under the current regime, the Jays are players in Free Agency… Jays snagged 3 Free Agents this morning, all of them will play significant roles on next year’s team…

OF Florino Anrade – $6M/Yr for 3 Yrs – He slots in as our 2 hitter and will play left field for the Jays. After a disappointing 2033 campaign with Moca, he’ll look to rebound in Jeonju and we’re hoping for a high OB% since he’ll bat in front of our slugging first baseman. With 7 contact and 9 eye, he joins our leadoff man Delcurto (8 contact and eye) as a very solid top of the order tandem.

C Jerome Chouinard – $2.5/Yr for 4 Yrs – We were in dire need for a catcher after both of ours walked to Free Agency and had to go after Chouinard. I didn’t want to give him 4 years but needed to make sure I got a catcher. I like the contract in the first 2 years but he’ll likely be dead weight towards the end of the deal. If anything, he provides a respectable stop gap until I can get something in my system. He’ll start at catcher and is slotted to bat 6th.

MR Myun-gu Chang – $1.1M for 1 Yr – Our bullpen was a team weakness last year and our lights out closer walked to free agency, so we had to address the issue somehow. Most of the upgrades will be filled internally, but this gives us a veteran presence in the pen so we’re not starting too many arbitration clocks this year. Though Chang’s career ERA is 4.67, we think he has a good chance to fit into Jeonju at a sub-4 level. He can also start some games if we’re in a pinch.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

@Jeonju (KOR) wrote:

Waiver Claim…

RF Chia-lang Pang
    5.8.6.6.5, 8 Rating in RF
    This 32 year old lefty is signed to a $700k contract and still under team control, probably through the end of his career. He’s never seen full-time at bats, but did manage to hit 5 HR’s and post a .745 OPS in 106 Cuban league at bats at couple years ago. He figures to start against righties in right field.

Looking back on this it’s definitely one of our better moves to date. Pang has been very solid in a Jays uniform, posting WAR/OPS of 2.8/.883 in 2032, and 2.3/.861 in 2033. His good performance has made him a bit overpaid in arbitration but if he keeps up the production we’ll be fine with it.

@Jeonju (KOR) wrote:

Waiver Claim…

MR Laurence Trepanier
    9.6.3 ratings, 98 MPH FB, 10 Rated Changeup
    He put up an ERA of 3.96, 3.05 and 2.96 in 2028-2030 before seeing his ERA balloon to 7.41 last year. He obviously struggles with his control at time but like his stuff and expect an improvement over last season. The Jays are expecting an ERA in the 3.25 to 4.75 range. It’s a wide range but for $650k this season, we’ll take it.

Another guy that was good enough for us for the past 2 years that he got a 2-year contract extension from the Jays. Trepanier threw 50 innings in 2032 with a 3.00 ERA and 9.71 K/9IP. In 2033, he threw 40.2 IP with a 3.98 ERA and 9.74 K/9IP.

It’s been very nice to see a couple claims from the scrap heap work out for us so far.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

In addition to Anrade, Chouinard and Chang – the Jays have signed 4 more, all to 1-year deals…

The first couple signings are both righty bats that will platoon against LHP. We went 6-14 vs. LHP last year so it was important to keep filling in righty bats. Based on the moves we’ve made, I’d expect to flip that record to 14-6 vs. LHP as it’s now a strength…

OF Ogai Okimasa – $960k for 1 year – 6/6/9/6/4 vs. LHP – 8 Rating in LF
    It was only 52 at-bats, but last year his OPS vs. LHP was .999 which is ridiculous. He will slot in as our cleanup hitter against lefties and provide a significant power threat. It will help to have him as a pinch hit option on days where he’s not starting too. Overall a great guy to platoon with Pang.

C Israel Sula – $1.5M for 1 year – 7/7/4/8/7 vs. LHP
    Another guy who hits lefties well, he had an .811 OPS against them last year in 98 at bats. He’ll get the starts against lefties and will get some here and there against righties as well. We lost both our catchers in free agency and now we have signed 2 that fill those voids.

Additionally, we picked….

CF Julian Novian – $950k for 1 Year
    Nothing flashy here but he plays good defense at all outfield positions and will get some starts in center against righties over the incumbent Cerejeiro. He was having a career year last season before being injured and comes with the ‘Fragile’ tag.

LHP Wen Zhao – $955k for 1 Year
    He’s a lefty reliever with a career ERA of 4.80 but the last 4 seasons have seen him at 3.26, 3.99, 2.79 and 3.96 ERAs. Our other lefty in the pen, Hua, is quite injury prone so I felt like I needed to add a contingency plan here.

We’re still $23.6M under the Cap with the budget room + cash to spend up to it, so more moves could be coming. There are rumors that the Jays have their eyes on adding some more help to the bullpen. With them missing on most of their rumored SP targets, we might see a big prospect like Tavio Estevens cracking the rotation this year. Fans want to see him get some starts. Additionally, the fans are upset that uber prospects SS Vladimir Rentas and OF Chae-pong Chin have been sent to AAA for more seasoning.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

As was hinted at, the Jays add another player in free agency, this time to the bullpen…

CL Wilfredo Borromeo – $4.5M/yr for 2 years – 10/5/7 ratings
    We definitely overpaid a little bit to get him but given our current payroll situation and roster makeup, I was very comfortable with giving him more money than his recent performances deserve. Despite his pretty solid ratings, he has had some struggles to live up to expectations while playing for the Arsenal. However, I think he’s been a little bit better than the numbers may indicate. He has a career 4.42 ERA which has ballooned due to a career BABIP of .332 in 529.1 innings pitched, so we’re hoping for better numbers in Jeonju. We’re expecting him to be the closer for the Jays.

We have $10M in budget space and $20M in Cap Space that we can spend up to but there aren’t many holes left on the club. We had a bunch of openings on our roster coming into FA and a lot of space. Our goal was to add a lot in free agency but spend responsibly. So far, we’ve added 8 players that will be on the Opening Day roster for a grand total of $18.5M in salary this year. We’ve picked up a starting LF, starting C, backup C, platoon RF, platoon CF, closer, lefty specialist and a middle reliever. I’m very happy with where we’re at.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

Not much news this past sim, with the only signings being of the minor league variety. With that being said, I figured I would give an overview of a few of our minor league signings this offseason that have some ML upside. All of whom are pitchers with past ML experience…

MR Pedro Gomez – 9/7/2
    He had some good years in Toluca but is a shell of what he once was. That being said, I’ve seen stranger things than a 9.7.2 pitcher have success. My setup man has been very successful at 9.6.3 but I’m going to stash Gomez in AAA and see what he can produce there.

SP Hector Feliciand – 4/8/5
    He’s a former #1 overall pick of Panama City and has 8 seasons of ML experience but is clearly on the downswing of his career. He had a devastating torn rotator cuff in 2031 and hasn’t been the same ever since. We’re hoping he can revive his career in a bullpen role and will put him in our AAA pen to start the year. He doesn’t crack our AAA rotation, which is absolutely loaded, and that’s a sign that he doesn’t have much of a chance to be a starter in Jeonju.

MR Alonso Zosa – 8/4/6
    Here is another player with a long track record but not much success in recent years due to a rough BABIP. With such a low ground ball percentage I feel like he should have a much lower BABP since fly ball pitchers normally do (I think). Another guy who will be stashed in AAA and may get the call at some point.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

So far we’ve added 3 pitchers in the draft, none of the sure thing variety but all with a little bit of potential. Maybe I’m already adapting to a draft pool with “lesser” prospects because I really liked a lot of the guys in this pool once I dug deeper than their surface ratings. I’m glad I got the 3 guys below…

Pick 6 – SP Hye-min Park 6.4.8, 92 MPH, 8 End, 52% GB, Righty
    He just turned 18 years old and has yet to fill out his 6’7” frame which really intimidated HS hitters in Korea this past year. His best pitch is a cutter that he taught himself after watching old baseball films of former MLB Star Mariano Rivera. His isn’t quite as good but it’s his out pitch. Despite being big and throwing fairly hard, Park’s primary asset is his command of his pitches. He doesn’t walk too many people and generally lives on the corners. His upside is as a 4/5 starter if all goes well, which isn’t exactly what I wanted with my first round pick but it is what was available. He’s young so hopefully things go well for him down on the farm and he picks up some ratings. Was #4 on my board.

Pick 14 – SP Dong-ki Song 6.8.4, 89 MPH, 9 End, 65% GB, Lefty
    In today’s “Moneyball” age, I think that a lot of people get scared off when they see a low control rating. For me, I see guys with control issues as the new market inefficiency since people are shying away from them. That being said, Song will struggle to start every 5th day at the big league level if these ratings hold. A bump in ratings anywhere and he will look like a very legitimate pitching prospect with his high ground ball percentage. He’s 20 but if he was 18 or 19 then I would say he’s a better prospect than our first rounder. Can you tell that I like this pick? I also like that his ratings increase to 7.8.4 when used as a reliever. Lefty relievers, my favorite. Was #2 on my board for Rd 2 and got him at 6, so I was thrilled.

Pick 22 – SP Jung-won Kim 6.5.5, 88 MPH, 4 End, 49% GB, Lefty
    He will probably get some starts this year in A-ball to see if he can develop at all but his future looks to be in the pen. As a reliever, he grades out as a 7.5.5 lefty which isn’t too bad and could have some use vs LHB depending on how his ratings fill out. If he was a righty, he probably wouldn’t have been on my board this high. Didn’t plan on getting two SP prospects than the fallback option was as lefty relievers but it worked out that way. He was #11 on my board for Rounds 2-3, and got him 14th in that sim so I’m cool w/that.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

The Jays made 4 trades and signed a big free agent name in the past couple days. Here’s a look back at what happened….

SP George Ramos gets $15.7M from Jeonju with a team option for next year. He’s a nice addition to a very solid rotation. I had a lot of cash / budget room so I could afford a luxury signing like this one.

Trade 1
    Jeonju Gets
    2B Oswaldo Luvian (A)

Chihuahua Gets
    SP Beck ‘Gasoline’ Maitland (ML)

Analysis: Maitland returns to Chihuahua after a brief year and a half in Jeonju. He should have enough gasoline (get it?) in the tank to be a pretty good deal at $3.9M for the last 2 years on his deal. I wouldn’t expect a replication of his 13-8 record and 3.34 ERA but he’ll be good in the middle / back of a rotation. With the pending addition of Ramos, I didn’t think it made sense to spend $3.9M on what was now my #5 SP. Some may look at it as a big gamble to assume I was going to get Ramos, but if I didn’t I would have been able to go to AAA to call on Tavio Estevens which I was fine with. The prospect coming back to me will start at 2B in Single-A, and he’s definitely got some ML potential. Good defense, plus speed and a decent bat. It’s also worth noting that he’s had some good development and if he continues to improve he could become an above average regular at the position. Probably could have got more, but I just wanted to move Maitland before last night’s sim.

Trade 2
    Jeonju Gets
    RF Danys Zumosa (A)

Mexico City Gets
    SS Kuniaki Katagiri (ML)

Analysis: I’ve always really liked Katagiri because he can be an exceptional fielder at every position except catcher. He’s always had a fringe bat and I think he’s underperformed relative to his ratings. I have to assume that he will not be the starter in Mexico City based on their acquisition of Alan Hargrove but hopefully he gets a decent number of AB’s. It’s tough to see him go, but I love the player coming back to me in the deal. Danys Zumosa will man centerfield for my Single-A team and actually gained a point of eye potential during the sim. I think there’s some upside for him to keep improving and be an everyday player at the ML level. I don’t really have any true CF prospects in my system so it’s nice to add one. I have very high hopes for Zumosa’s future with Jeonju.

Trade 3
    Jeonju Gets
    MR Cody Labonte (AAA)

Changsha Gets
    2B Juan Avila (A)

Analysis: This is probably the least important of the trades but we do pick up a guy with a pretty good arm. With 8.8.3 ratings he does have control issues but we’ve had a lot of success with Laurence Trepanier who is a similar pitcher. I’m going to stash Labonte in AAA and see what happens for him there. As for Avila, he was a fringe prospect but his defense would make him a liability in the field. As I continue to build this team up, defense up the middle will continue to be a focus so he didn’t fit the long term plan here.

Trade 4
    Jeonju Gets
    C Forrest Vaive (AAA)
    3B Alejandro Felieiano (AAA)
    SP Santiago Valle (AAA)

Wuhan Gets:
    $7.5M Cash

Analysis: There isn’t much risk involved in this trade for us because all we sent was cash. I don’t project to max out my cash at $15M anymore but we’re not having money issues by any means. That being said, I think we got a decent haul of players for the money even though all of them are just serving as depth options in Triple-A. Both Vaive (+1 contact / power) and Felieiano (+1 power) received ratings boosts already. Vaive suddenly looks like the catcher of the future but will likely spend the whole season in AAA since we just signed 2 catchers. Felieiano is a bit of a wild card but he should end up seeing significant ML playing time if he reaches his potential. He’s got ridiculous range (10) for a third baseman but will make some errors. As for Valle, he’ll start the year in our AAA rotation but is likely one of the first names called if there’s an injury or underperformance from anyone on our ML staff. He jumps to 7.6.6 as a middle reliever.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

All good moves for you. I think you’ve done well there, and look to be on a great track.

Good signing in Ramos. I was right there with you; my offer was very very similar, can’t recall exactly what it was (in the $15.x million range).

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

Thanks man, appreciate the kind words.

Sounds like the bidding was pretty close. I offered every available cent that my owner allowed prior to the Maitland trade and with all my guys called up from the minors…

Hopefully it works out. I’m already dreading what to do about the team option / potential to be playing in the Championship. If his ratings drop during the year, I’m not going to want to exercise but I am going to want him pitching in the postseason.

Probably too early to be talking playoffs but it’s in the back of my head at least.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

BREAKING from Buster Olney on Twitter…

@Buster_ESPN: Unnamed source in Jeonju says spending spree a result of GM J-Rod being out of the country all of next off-season – 30m comes off the books… (1/1)

@Buster_ESPN: Wanted to spend the max this year with belief they could make up the funds next year when they won’t be able to be active in Free Agency (2/2)

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

Lost our starting 3B for 3-4 months last sim. This sim lost FOUR other position players to injury but managed minimize the bleeding and go 2-4 despite some ragged looking lineups late in the sim.

Ugly start for the Jays but overall we still have a winning record and are 1 game out of first place.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

SP George Ramos has allowed 1 earned run in his last 50.2 IP. Holy crap…..

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

@Jeonju (KOR) wrote:

Whoa

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

@Jeonju (KOR) wrote:

Wow, and additionally Qi-chao Huang is leading the ENTIRE WBH in HRs, RBIs, On Base %, Batting Average and Slugging Percentage.

PED’s in Jeonju?

Hukuoka CUB 
    Spectator

One heckofa year in Jeonju that is for sure. plenty to root for if you are a fan!

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

Jays keep rolling… 72-30!

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Jeonju (KOR) wrote:

Jays keep rolling… 72-30!

Wow, you have a chance to tie or pass the WBH wins record with a couple excellent sims. A 14-4 finish will tie the record (86 wins), 15-3 breaks it.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

Tried to shake things up with some callups to get them some experience and promtly went 2-4. The record is essentially out of reach. No big deal, it’s more important to get a few of my AAA players a little bit of time so I can see what they can do.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

Jeonju vs. Thunder Bay Series Recap

Game 1: TB (Varela, 10-7, 2.52) @ JEO (Om, 14-6, 2.46)
    What was billed as a battle of Korean aces including Raul Varela, the reigning WBH PoY, this turned into anything but that. With the game tied 1-1 in the top of the 4th, stud SP Varela dropped a 3-run homer to give the Avengers a 4-1 lead – the 2nd HR of his 734 AB career. The crowd was stunned and never quite recovered. Through 5 innings, Thunder Bay led 7-4, and both of the aces were out. Both teams used a variety of players throughout the remainder, with the Avengers coasting to a 12-8 win, and a 1-0 series lead in Jeonju. Despite a mediocre 5 IP and 4 ER, Raul Varela is the player of the game in my eyes, after a dagger of a homer. In addition to Varela, the Avengers got 4 hits from Rigo Piloto. The teams combined for a ridiculous 33 hits in this “Battle of the Aces”. While it was only 1 game, the newpapers and fanbase in Jeonju appeared to be totally shaken up by their ace falling apart in a very schizophrenic and unfamiliar looking game for the Jays fans. Thunder Bay leads 1-0….

Game 2: TB (Espinoza, 12-4, 3.34) @ JEO (Im, 16-4, 3.45)
    The Avengers led 1-0 through 3.5 with the crowd still seemingly in shock from the Varela homer the day before until Alejandro Felieiano launched a 2-run homer into the stands to give the Jays a 2-1 lead. In the top of the 6th, the Avengers rallied for 2 runs to retake the lead at 3-2. In the bottom of the 6th, last year’s RoY runner up Felix Delcurto singled, stole 2nd and was singled in by platoon catcher Israel Sula to tie things up again. The 7th was quiet with both teams going 1-2-3. In the top of the 8th, the Avengers got a 2-out double, which was followed up with an intentional walk. Laurence Trepanier got Amarius Jarro to fly out to end the threat. In the bottom of the 8th, the Avengers would not be as lucky getting out of a jam… Chia-liang Pang led off with a pinch hit single. Florino Anrade tried to bunt him into scoring position but was unsuccessful and struck out swinging. After that, Jerome Chouinard doubled to put runners on second and third… Delcurto came up and played hero with a 2-run double to score both runners and put the Jays up 5-3. Felieiano singled home Delcurto to make it 6-3 before the inning ended. There was nothing dramatic in the 9th as Wilfredo Borromeo slammed the door with 3 consecutive strikeouts for the save. Series tied at 1 going to Thunder Bay…

Game 3: JEO (Ramos, 11-6, 2.97) @ TB (Miller, 9-4, 2.64)
    Thunder Bay got off to an unfortunate start with SP Langley Miller exiting the game with an injury after 2 outs in the first. Their bullpen held up quite well but the Jays carried a 3-1 led into the 7th inning stretch with hired gun George Ramos still going strong for the Jays. That is, until Neil Nassau put the first pitch of the bottom 7 into the bleachers to make it 3-2. From there, Thunder Bay started to play some small ball for the first time in the series. Sandro Carrizdles singled, was bunted to 2nd and advanced to third on a fielders choice. Ze-min Ning then came through with a line drive single just over the 2nd basemans glove to tie things up at 3 through 7 innings. There wasn’t much noise in the 8th or 9th, but the Jays got their first 2 men on in top 10 before a double play on a bunt eventually ended the inning in a bad way for Jeonju. Jays closer Borromeo struck out 3 in the bottom 10 with a double sandwiched in the middle, he had 5 k’s in 2 IP. In the top of the 12th, Jerome Chouinard gave the Jays a 4-3 lead with a solo homer. With the Jays closer out of the game, converted SP Ray McIntyre was assigned the task of closing things down. He allowed the first man to get on before a failed bunt attempt followed by a double play silenced the Thunder Bay crowd. Jays lead 2-1….

That’s where the first Championship Sim ended with the GM’s left to work their magic one last time in 2034….

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

The Jays have moved long-time third baseman Hai-dong Zhao to La Habana for a similarly named pitcher Hao-hing Zhao. Hao-hing just turned 24 at the start of the offseason and has 8.5.4 ratings to go along with 8.6.7 potential. He’s been very successful in the minors, but in 59.2 ML innings last year he got knocked around to the tune of a 5.28 ERA. Barring any injuries or other moves, he’ll compete for a spot in the bullpen but will likely start the year in the AAA rotation as a strong depth option. He’s quite a boom or bust prospect, so I’m hoping for the best. In the worst scenario, he should be a strong bullpen candidate and has five seasons of team control remaining. It’s worth noting that 2035 is his last option year.

In terms of what we’re losing, Hai-dong has been our third baseman for a while but a torn labrum last year opened the door for Alejandro Felieiano to steal his job. With Felieiano signed to a cheap new 4-year contract, we thought the better value play was to move Zhao’s $8.7M cap hit and pursue a big hitting first baseman in free agency rather than move one of the two third basemen to first. Zhao has one more year of team control where his arbitration number is likely to soar to $10M with us certainly being unable to retain him past that point. This could come back to bite us if we can’t come up with anything in the 1B market, as we don’t plan on making a play via trade at any first basemen.

We’re down to around $55M in payroll with a pretty solid roster. We need to add 2 depth options in the outfield, another infielder and a first baseman; but otherwise the roster is filled out. With our budget going all the way up to $86M, this gives us some room to be more active for the remainder of the free agency period.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

The Trek of a 20-Game Loser – Part 1

There are few pitchers in WBH history that know what it’s like to lose 20 games in one season. For Jays pitcher Santiago Valle, that was his reality in his 2033 rookie season pitching for Wuhan….

Q: How were you feeling going into that 2033 season that went so wrong for you?
    A: I was feeling great. After being a 6th round pick by Monterrey in 2026, I had come a long way. It took me 4 years to get out of Single-A and no one ever considered me a prospect. I was now a prospect that was ready to help a team that needed help. I had never pitched in the majors but I knew I was ready. Well, I thought I was…

Q: Why did you feel so ready?
    A: I started 2032 in AA and was quickly promoted to AAA, and I pitched really well at both levels. No one intimidated me anymore. I was going at hitters and I was hitting 98 or or 99 consistently on the gun. Hitters feared me. The park was a little more filled when I pitched. And uh, prettier girls started talking to me at the clubs. That’s always nice, you know…

Q: That last part is probably the best part of the whole story… We’ll talk more about that later. But, what happened?
    A: I mean, everything. We had guys out of position, bad attitudes and a culture of losing. The Blackhawks have some titles in their history so fans aren’t going to accept a team that was as bad as us. I read the articles, I heard the talk, but I knew that I would be successful. But, I wasn’t… Nothing seemed to go right from the start and it just snowballed. Then I started trying to be too perfect. My guys weren’t going to make plays so I needed to strike everyone out. I walked 100 batters.

Q: What was the most difficult about the season?
    A: I started to really doubt myself. Just remember, I was a rookie. And I was losing EVERY time on the mound. I lost 20 games. Typical starting pitchers go every 5 days, I lost 1 out of every 6. By the end of it, I was ready to hang up the cleats… I was going through the motions in Spring Training this past season and then the phone rang…

Q: Who was it and how was the news broken to you?
    A: It was my battery mate, catcher Forrest Vaive. He told me that he had a feeling we were going to get a ring this year. I told him that I appreciated our relationship but I wouldn’t marry him. I like girls. Then he told me about the trade. I was happy but also sad. I knew this probably meant I was back to the minors.

Q: Tell us about the transition back to the minors.
    A: It wasn’t easy to go back to that life but it gave me a chance to focus on pitching again. The numbers weren’t great but I feel like I really made some strides. Just like 2033, it felt like every ball hit was finding a hole but my manager gave me quite a few lectures about “small sample sizes” and sabremetrics.

Q: Oh yeah?
    A: Yeah, he told me about this stat called FIP. It’s supposed to take luck out of the equation, at least thats the simple explanation. He told me that I’m a better pitcher than my stats. That made me feel a lot better. Management must believe it too, because they have me slotted to compete for a spot in the pen this year. My boy Forrest Vaive is getting the call up too.

Q: Any predictions for this year?
    A: Stat-wise, no. I just know I’m going to have a lot of fun and do what I can to help the team win.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

We missed out on both of our top FA candidates with what I thought were very competitive offers. Had to really re-assess things last night, we’ll see how the rest of FA shakes out….

We did hit on one of our depth FA signings, MR Aronne Beauregard, and won a waiver claim for 1B Mao Huang.

Beauregard is a reliever with phenomenal stuff, minimal control and cut from a similar mold as some other pitchers that we’ve managed to have success with. He’s now making less than 25% of what his previous deal paid him, and while there’s been some erosion of talent I think it’s a bargain to get him at $1.3M. 58 walks in 58.2 IP last year was a problem, but I think he was pretty snake bitten with a .370 BABIP. If nothing else, he provides decent depth on a one-year deal with a team option for next year.

Huang hits lefties pretty well and projects to play 1B against LHP no matter what we do in free agency. This allows us to focus on finding a left-handed 1B who hits righties well. If he’s in more than that platoon role on Opening Day, then I’d say we’re in trouble. He’s on a 1-year deal for $2M, so he’s a nice stop-gap and emergency plan at that position.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOIN US

If you would like to join, send us a message with a little bit about you and your OOTP history.

Sending

©2019 World Baseball Hierarchy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar