Strange Sim Happenings

This topic contains 45 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Vancouver CUB 5 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
     Tokorozawa DOM 
    Spectator

So, just downloaded the most recent sim. I had 42 mail messages, none of them about my team. Got other teams salary arbitration results, budgets, player development updates etc. but none for me. Also, when the message was about a certain player, the player info at the bottom of the message was for a different player entirely, usually not even someone in the same league.

SP Stephen Crewe had been signed (to a very reasonable contract) and then immediately released? No idea why, but now he won’t negotiate with me for a contract.

Any idea why this would have happened? Is it something that I did wrong?

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Ditto on the mail. I got the news for Santiago de los.

It looks like Crewe was an illegal signing. Free agency is closed during the playoffs.

Tokorozawa DOM 
    Spectator

Ok, I thought since this Sim was after the playoffs were over I could sign him but that must have not been the case.

Mexico City DOM 
    Spectator

I got someone else’s mail, too… I actually am not sure who’s mail, because the arbitration notices are for multiple players from multiple teams! I’m going to try to re-DL and see what happens…

EDIT:
    Nope… that didn’t work. I’ve got messages from Boca’s, Incheon’s, Seoul’s, Barqa, Vancouver’s, Akashi’s (complete with a Pacora pitcher’s image), owners about their budgets, Hong Kong’s, Maricaibo’s player development report, Incheon and Moca’s team option decisions (fortunately I can’t do nothing…)

And more…

Changsha JPN 
    Spectator

I got the wrong mail, but everything else seems to be right. Game On!!!

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

I see the news problems as well, now that I’m back on my machine. Obviously I don’t like this…but the rest of the file appears to be working correctly (when you click on a name, it leads to the correct player page, etc.)

Maybe some bug related to changing the league rules or whatever…for now, let’s move ahead and hope this is a glitch that was due to something we did, and not a sign of a fake baseball apocalypse.

Tijuana VEN 
    Spectator

No one is stealing signs at least.

Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

I get other peoples emails quite frequently, and it has gone back to previous versions.

I think it only happens when I miss a download (or upload). And I always assume that ootp does not properly overwrite old messages, or something to that effect.

Panama City JPN 
    Spectator

This is not the only online OOTP league where I get other GM’s mail. It’s annoying, but I’ve never seen any other side effect other than the messages aren’t for me, and I’ve never really seen it give away any real critical information, either.

Puerto Plata USA 
    Spectator

This has causes a major problem with my team. I have message for a different team therefore never received an email for me to execute or void “Team Options”. I have two players (Blas Eizaguirre and Dante Rodriguez) that have team options that I have been planning to not execute before the 2039 off-season and had no way to do that.

What is the plan for this issue?

Panama City JPN 
    Spectator

I only had this issue (messages for other teams in my Mail & News) in the long off-season sim.

At least for Panama City, the last post-season sim did send me the messages about team options, nobody else’s messages, and I was able to execute/decline with no problem. Although I sometimes see other’s messages, I’ve never had a case where I missed key messages for my team.

Erie VEN 
    Spectator

@Panama City (JPN) wrote:

I only had this issue (messages for other teams in my Mail & News) in the long off-season sim.

At least for Panama City, the last post-season sim did send me the messages about team options, nobody else’s messages, and I was able to execute/decline with no problem. Although I sometimes see other’s messages, I’ve never had a case where I missed key messages for my team.

Agreed. The team options were sent 2 sims ago, not this past sim. If you missed them, it’s not because the messages were messed up this past sim.

Puerto Plata USA 
    Spectator

I have messages about executing option years for players on other teams but no message for my players.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

@Puerto Plata (CUB) wrote:

I have messages about executing option years for players on other teams but no message for my players.

I deleted all my messages before this last sim and now my inbox is filled with messages from all different teams dating back to 6/2038, including messages about options, arbitration, etc.

The most likely scenario is you missed the messages from 1 or 2 sims ago, and they were overwritten by the offseason gobbledygook so they would not appear now.

It is plausible you never received the messages in the first place, but I have never seen that problem before, and no one else has brought it up. If a problem doesn’t affect the league at large we don’t back up the season so this will have to be chalked up to human error, or the OOTP gods frowning down upon you.

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

Nice thing to do would be to just drop those two guys off his team. No harm, no foul imo.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

Nice thing to do would be to just drop those two guys off his team. No harm, no foul imo.

I’ll forward it along to the commish but I don’t like the precedent it sets. There were two sims to release the guys before the championships were over, and he could have done it before the end of the season since he was mathematically eliminated. Screwing up and learning from it is part of the process. Lord knows I’ve done it plenty.

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

@Vancouver (USA) wrote:

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

I’ll forward it along to the commish but I don’t like the precedent it sets. There were two sims to release the guys before the championships were over, and he could have done it before the end of the season since he was mathematically eliminated. Screwing up and learning from it is part of the process. Lord knows I’ve done it plenty.

Actually, I don’t think you can drop a guy with an option without automatically exercising it. For example, if you try cutting a guy with future team options right now, it will pay him for those options, even though you aren’t exercising them. Maybe I’m wrong.

I think he only had one chance to decline the option and he says he didn’t get the emails that provided that chance. I think if he tried cutting those guys during the playoffs, it would have cost him more money than if he declined the options.

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

Actually, I don’t think you can drop a guy with an option without automatically exercising it. For example, if you try cutting a guy with future team options right now, it will pay him for those options, even though you aren’t exercising them. Maybe I’m wrong.

I think he only had one chance to decline the option and he says he didn’t get the emails that provided that chance. I think if he tried cutting those guys during the playoffs, it would have cost him more money than if he declined the options.

I don’t think this is true. I tend to use a lot of team options when I negotiate contracts, and I have cut guys before the season ended before, and the game only charged for the remainder of the guaranteed contract.

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

@Hong Kong (CAN) wrote:

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

I don’t think this is true. I tend to use a lot of team options when I negotiate contracts, and I have cut guys before the season ended before, and the game only charged for the remainder of the guaranteed contract.

I’m thinking of Vesting options. I’m not going to give a guy his 400 at-bats, but the game makes you keep him on the roster the whole season or it pays him as if he was vested.

Panama City JPN 
    Spectator

If the team option year(s) has/have a buyout, you are charged for that when you release the player, too. But not for the contract cost.

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

This has causes a major problem with my team. I have message for a different team therefore never received an email for me to execute or void “Team Options”. I have two players (Blas Eizaguirre and Dante Rodriguez) that have team options that I have been planning to not execute before the 2039 off-season and had no way to do that.

Since this was brought up publicly, I am also responding here for others (have responded in email).

I logged in as Puerto Plata and the messages were sent on September 29, before the news glitch from the offseason sim. So these two things are unrelated. The time to handle this would have been in the October 1 sim (two sims ago), or during the playoffs.

Seoul KOR 
    Spectator

Based on the message that this was the last opportunity to drop players, I dropped Hyobe Kakuta and his $20 mil contract. This was the only thing I did with my team. I thought I did everything right. Made sure he was no longer on my rosters and exported twice just to make sure. I was surprised when I opened the latest results and saw that he was still on my team.

I was also puzzled by the unusual emails that I had received that belonged to many other teams.

My first inclination was that I had somehow accidentally screwed something up. But it appears something was fishy in our entire universe. Now I remember a message that the sim upload was taking long and couldn’t be monitored. Seems it’s possible the league got corrupted somehow.

If people had not gotten the team option emails and players weren’t released something is definitely wrong. Perhaps there are even some major problems that nobody has yet discovered. It seems to me that it would be worth a redo of this sim before we head into free agency.

I know that it took a lot of work to put together this sim with end of season and re-working the schedule. I’d hate to have the simmers go through all that work again. But if something’s wrong, we may be forced to redo anyway after a bunch of additional work has already been put in by everybody.

Mexico City DOM 
    Spectator

For the record, I have never seen the mixed-up mail messages from other teams like I have seen this sim – here or in my other online league. Secondly, If I’m not mistaken, options are available to yay or nay after the post-season, not during. Thirdly, we are able to decide on options for multiple sims, and saying that someone should have done it the first chance (even though I chose to do so) is not fair.

Just my 2¢…

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

What happened is I only included seven days of news in the output instead of 130. It’s a minor mistake, but it makes the news go haywire. I’ve re-uploaded the file now so people can see there’s not an issue.

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

Addressing this publicly again.

I’ve decided to correct this issue for Puerto Plata because I may have made this “7 days” mistake in both of the last two sims, which would mean in the prior sim he wouldn’t have received the messages.

A tip for the future: GMs should know that they do not have to wait for these messages to cut team option players. They can be cut anytime during playoff sims or the final sim before the game moves into a new year.

Mexico City DOM 
    Spectator

@Hong Kong (CAN) wrote:

What happened is I only included seven days of news in the output instead of 130. It’s a minor mistake, but it makes the news go haywire. I’ve re-uploaded the file now so people can see there’s not an issue.

And now all free agent offers have been erased… Cap_PDT_01_11 and we had quite a few…

Tokorozawa DOM 
    Spectator

Yup. Just downloaded and everything I had done since Tuesday’s sim is gone. Sigh.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Unbelievable. The re-sim caused my star infielder to get MS.

Hope you enjoy reading your news properly. Cap_PDT_01_15

Erie VEN 
    Spectator

@Tokorozawa (DOM) wrote:

Yup. Just downloaded and everything I had done since Tuesday’s sim is gone. Sigh.

Can’t you just import your team from FTP since we’re still at the same game date?

Erie VEN 
    Spectator

@Santiago de Cuba (USA) wrote:

How does MS only keep him out for 5 days? Do you think he’s suddenly going to retire in a year or two, or start missing 10-20 games at a time multiple times per season?

Tijuana VEN 
    Spectator

I had this MS notice with my 2B Mora a year ago. I think the 5 days is for diagnosis, all you can do is stand back and watch the numbers tumble, although he will have no issue being assigned to the Minors.

Mora was diagnosed with MS a year ago and took an immediate fielding rating hit, his numbers have dropped from .354/440/.639 2 seasons prior to diagnosis (probably a symptom that this was coming) and was .214/.320/.373 in ’38.

One more year on a $15.6M contract for Mora. Hoped he would retire in the off season, instead we will have a retirement tour season for him. May move him to 1B for the season if he can keep his batting number from dropping any further.

Gordon

Baracoa CUB 
    Spectator

Is there any way to get our exports back? I spent a decent amount of time on moves that I don’t really relish having to re-do.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Erie (DOM) wrote:

How does MS only keep him out for 5 days? Do you think he’s suddenly going to retire in a year or two, or start missing 10-20 games at a time multiple times per season?

@Tijuana (DOM) wrote:

I had this MS notice with my 2B Mora a year ago. I think the 5 days is for diagnosis, all you can do is stand back and watch the numbers tumble, although he will have no issue being assigned to the Minors.

Mora was diagnosed with MS a year ago and took an immediate fielding rating hit, his numbers have dropped from .354/440/.639 2 seasons prior to diagnosis (probably a symptom that this was coming) and was .214/.320/.373 in ’38.

One more year on a $15.6M contract for Mora. Hoped he would retire in the off season, instead we will have a retirement tour season for him. May move him to 1B for the season if he can keep his batting number from dropping any further.

Gordon

What Gordon said.

I’ve been following Mora’s decline a little bit and it sucks that it happens to anybody’s player at all. It sucks a lot worse that it happened during an offseason re-sim so that a few people could get the right mail.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

good grief that sucks

before I update, I will go through my transactions log, as well as take a screen grab of my pending offers. that way I can replicate the important stuff.

I just hope none of my players get hit with the stupid stick.

Erie VEN 
    Spectator

@Baracoa (CUB) wrote:

Is there any way to get our exports back? I spent a decent amount of time on moves that I don’t really relish having to re-do.

Try to import your team from FTP.

Mexico City DOM 
    Spectator

@Erie (DOM) wrote:

@Baracoa (CUB) wrote:

I’m thinking this won’t work because the import tracker was reset with the new update? I’ll give it a try and report back…

Edit: yep! Got an error message – couldn’t import…

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

@Erie (DOM) wrote:

@Baracoa (CUB) wrote:

This might work but I’m not going to trust it since the whole offseason was run again. Things are slightly different and it may cause weirdness, or make the export not take. Safest bet is a complete do-over. Maybe import via ftp to see your transactions, then reenter them in a clean file.

He was dreadful the last couple months of the season – this could have been a seed that was already planted it just came out earlier. Regardless it sucks giant donkey balls.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

@Mexico City (VEN) wrote:

@Erie (DOM) wrote:

@Baracoa (CUB) wrote:

I’m thinking this won’t work because the import tracker was reset with the new update? I’ll give it a try and report back…

even if you do manage to import your changes and export successfully, there’s no way to tell if it will import correctly when the next sim is run. Safest bet is a full do-over. Sucks for me too because I had a ton of transactions.

Incheon KOR 
    Spectator

Yipes. Picked the wrong sim to overhaul my minor league teams…

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

The whole offseason was not run again. All I did was re-export the file with the correct amount of days in the news. Everything about the offseason is the same.

I didn’t include your exports, because your exports could have been based on bad data or lack of data, and people were complaining about it. There really was no good choice here.

Mexico City DOM 
    Spectator

@Hong Kong (CAN) wrote:

I didn’t include your exports, because your exports could have been based on bad data or lack of data, and people were complaining about it. There really was no good choice here.

So does this mean our exports are still ‘there’ to be imported, or do we need to redo everything we may have done?

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

@Hong Kong (CAN) wrote:

The whole offseason was not run again. All I did was re-export the file with the correct amount of days in the news. Everything about the offseason is the same.

Guess it’s a good thing you got to read your mail, eh Bob? Cap_PDT_01_05

still sucks though.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Vancouver (USA) wrote:

@Hong Kong (CAN) wrote:

Guess it’s a good thing you got to read your mail, eh Bob? Cap_PDT_01_05

still sucks though.

Yeah, I guess that worked out then. That would’ve been quite the surprise…

Busan CUB 
    Spectator

so i updated the game today… and my mail is all messed up.

ruban brambila signs with Santiago du cuba yet when I click on his name it goes to mr Garcia hidalgo

this is the same for my other mail aswell….

is it just mine or is anyone still having issues

Panama City JPN 
    Spectator

@Busan (KOR) wrote:

so i updated the game today… and my mail is all messed up.

ruban brambila signs with Santiago du cuba yet when I click on his name it goes to mr Garcia hidalgo

this is the same for my other mail aswell….

is it just mine or is anyone still having issues

My download was fine, just a few messages, all for me.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

All fine here. I still have nonsensical messages from before the playoffs last year but those are meaningless.

If you’re having trouble with recent messages update in game again. I find if my download is interrupted it will sometimes act like it worked but everything will be haywire. If the affected messages are from 2038, ignore them.

Brambila was signed two years ago around this time. Probably just a ghost message.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOIN US

If you would like to join, send us a message with a little bit about you and your OOTP history.

Sending

©2020 World Baseball Hierarchy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar