OOTP15!

This topic contains 36 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Tokorozawa DOM 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
     Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

It’s released today…downloading my copy now. Anyone else get it? First impressions?

Mexico City DOM 
    Spectator

Got mine, but unwrapping it will wait until later…

Tijuana VEN 
    Spectator

Tonight!

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

I played it a bit over the weekend.

The graphical overhaul is welcome (since this has always been one ugly-ass game). I’ve been saying for years they needed to hire a graphic designer, and looks like they finally did. Problem is, much of the organization of in-game elements is still so jumbled and quirky. This is actually my #1 complaint about the game in general. It is hard for a designer and information architect to play this game without wincing, believe me! There are things that take too many mouse clicks, things that are buried deep in the interface that don’t need to be, etc.

I played a bit with a Fictional league stocked with random major leaguers. Went through a couple of seasons. Worked pretty well, though I encountered a bug in a draft where it allowed me to draft the same player twice when I used the back button to go back one too many screens.

One feature I do find interesting is the ability to have player ratings normalized against the league average (so I guess this means a 10 doesn’t mean 10…it means the player is that far above the mean).

Many of the changes they added in this version (3D stadiums, more real-life leagues to play, etc.) don’t really affect me as much, since I don’t play the game that way.

As for the WBH, there’s not a whole lot there that will directly affect the way we play.

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

How do you think that whole ratings difference will effect us?

Do you think it will be fun enough to matter or do you think it is skippable.

Have you tried to import the WBH and see how things change?

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

@Moca (VEN) wrote:

How do you think that whole ratings difference will effect us?

Do you think it will be fun enough to matter or do you think it is skippable.

Have you tried to import the WBH and see how things change?

I’m not really sure yet how different that would make things (with the ratings). What it does do is give you a clearer idea of how valuable a player is in the particular league you’re playing. Like now, you have someone with a 6 contact, but the thing is you don’t really know if everyone in the league has a 7 contact, which means he sucks, or else most players are 5, which means he’s good. I think it’s a feature we could debate using or not using later once we have upgraded.

I didn’t do a WBH import yet; I will the next time I spend some time with it.

Busan CUB 
    Spectator

that feature would be interesting for when a team gets relegated or promoted, imagine having a player who is like all 9’s as a hitter to only move up and become 5’s. it would be a huge shock, but then you would know why they underperformed

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Busan (KOR) wrote:

that feature would be interesting for when a team gets relegated or promoted, imagine having a player who is like all 9’s as a hitter to only move up and become 5’s. it would be a huge shock, but then you would know why they underperformed

I wonder how this would work in free agency. Would they get compared to the entire hierarchy?

Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

great questions gang

Does the setting for the new graphics apply to the “universe” or the “league”. And by league I assume it would apply throughout that league’s lower levels. In other words your AAA player with 7 contact won’t drop to a 4 contact when called up.

We need to really, really check into this stuff before making our decision. I am going to try and read about it on the OOTP forums at some point. We have plenty of time and testers here. (Although I probably won’t buy 15 until the all-star break. 🙂 )

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

my understanding is that the new normalized ratings are optional. our old standby method of ratings players is still an option in the game.

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

@Taegu (VEN) wrote:

my understanding is that the new normalized ratings are optional. our old standby method of ratings players is still an option in the game.

Yes, it’s an additional feature, not a replacement, if I didn’t make that clear.

I was using it in my fictional solo test league, but honestly when you’re in an all-new league with all-new players you don’t really notice it, or I mean notice any difference, since it started that way to begin with. I might notice it if I do two WBH imports and turn it on in one of them and compare.

I know people were just giving examples, but it’s very unlikely a 9 is going to turn into a 4 in this scenario. maybe a 4 could be a 5, or a 7 could be a 6, unless you create some crazy-ass league where everyone has ratings of 2 or 9 or something. The effect of it is far more subtle, in practice.

Tijuana VEN 
    Spectator

That rating system could make interleague trades a real crap shoot.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

I agree with those above. If our league was setup as a single universe, it wouldn’t be an issue. but our league is setup as 7 independent leagues. this was supposed to be an option in a recent OOTP version where you could join leagues into a single league, but it didn’t work well in practice (as reported by Marc when he tried to do it with WBH)

the CBL is upgrading to 15 now, and it makes sense for leagues like that where you only have a single league.

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

I know I’m not adding to the discussion, but this made me lol and I wanted to share.

Erie VEN 
    Spectator

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

I know I’m not adding to the discussion, but this made me lol and I wanted to share.

https://twitter.com/TheFosh/status/459345255825825792/photo/1

It’s pretty bright out in Erie. We would know.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Erie (DOM) wrote:

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

https://twitter.com/TheFosh/status/459345255825825792/photo/1

It’s pretty bright out in Erie. We would know.

It’s never bright in Erie. It snows 11 months per year.

Erie VEN 
    Spectator

Exactly. When the sun peeks out, the glare off the snow is insanely bright. So bright that it affected Mr. Faulk’s team photo.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

bump for relevance.

Pacora JPN 
    Spectator

When does the WBH switch over to ootp15?

Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

Next year I’d guess…we usually switch around the MLB All Star game cause OOTP has a 50% off special.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

We always put it to a league-wide vote since it costs real-world money. I can’t remember if it’s majority vote or two-thirds. And yes we try to do it around the 50% off sale so I expect we will be voting on whether to switch for 2037.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Every time I fill out a draft list I’m reminded why I hate shelling out money for a new version. Trying to drag and drop players around is broken beyond belief. Try to drag a player to #13? He winds up at 8 and the player at 8 simply disappears, etc., etc., etc. Takes me a fucking hour or more to do the 4-10 draft list (which is mostly garbage) and I want to throw the keyboard through the monitor. I appreciate the quality of the simulations, and I love the stats it generates, and the history, but the OOTP user experience leaves a lot to be desired.

Someone please tell me this is better or my vote will be no out of spite Cap_PDT_01_15

Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

@Vancouver (USA) wrote:

Every time I fill out a draft list I’m reminded why I hate shelling out money for a new version. Trying to drag and drop players around is broken beyond belief. Try to drag a player to #13? He winds up at 8 and the player at 8 simply disappears, etc., etc., etc. Takes me a fucking hour or more to do the 4-10 draft list (which is mostly garbage) and I want to throw the keyboard through the monitor. I appreciate the quality of the simulations, and I love the stats it generates, and the history, but the OOTP user experience leaves a lot to be desired.

Someone please tell me this is better or my vote will be no out of spite Cap_PDT_01_15

To avoid that conundrum, I drag players a couple of spots away from each other while ranking them, then I use consolidate to put them in their final places. Yeah, it’s a bitch.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

After 20 seasons I have finally realized you can right-click a player and add do draft list. This doesn’t help with sorting after the fact, but it’s helpful for the 56-team list where sorting isn’t as much of an issue. I just like to fill out the whole list so I don’t wind up with 5 first baseman. Oh AI, where did you get that I? Cap_PDT_01_17

Bani DOM 
    Spectator

Short notice, but the Steam summer sale is on right now. Long story short: voting is currently ongoing about the next set of game deals, of which 15 is a potential part. The sale would start at noon EST today (6/24) and the listed potential price is $10. No, that’s not a typo. Otherwise it’s currently $29.99 for the duration of the sale, which ends on the 30th.

If you’re a Steam member you can vote in the “Community Choice”.

UPDATE: The group it was in didn’t win the votes, but it is still on sale for $29.99 through Steam.

Cheju CAN 
    Spectator

Isn’t there usually a sale around the all-star break each year ?

KEN

Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

yes

La Habana KOR 
    Spectator
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Thanks for sharing!

Baracoa CUB 
    Spectator

This is also discounted on Steam. I prefer it on there because you don’t have the 2-computer limit, and there’s no licenses to mess around with.

La Habana KOR 
    Spectator

I wonder how many gm’s took advantage of the sale?

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

is it over already?

We need to make these decisions before the sale end(s). If it’s over I think we should be waiting till next version

Erie VEN 
    Spectator

The sale goes until Wednesday.

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

@Erie (DOM) wrote:

The sale goes until Wednesday.

sounds good.

Let’s make this decision in stone before it ends.

La Habana KOR 
    Spectator

I agree…let’s make the decision to move or not move…I already posted my vote!!!

Barquisimeto CAN 
    Spectator

@La Habana (CUB) wrote:

I wonder how many gm’s took advantage of the sale?

I already bought it.

Tokorozawa DOM 
    Spectator

I missed the sale and now see that the league is moving that direction for next season. Will it go on sale again before we start the next season? If so, when?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOIN US

If you would like to join, send us a message with a little bit about you and your OOTP history.

Sending

©2018 World Baseball Hierarchy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar