OOTP14 File?

This topic contains 56 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Mexico City DOM 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

It’s not out yet, is it? I assume we aren’t running a sim tomorrow?

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

I have no idea. It was supposed to be posted “sometime over the weekend” with a sim scheduled for tonight but i kinda forgot about it and expected to receive an email when it was up.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

Just wanted to post a simple note – Marc has encountered an issue with OOTP 14 that we have never seen in other ‘new’ iterations of OOTP. When setting up the new 14 league file, OOTP is asking for the ORIGINAL password the original commish used for the game. this p/w is different than the one Marc uses (which has always worked when upgrading).

Marc has contacted OOTP and we are trying to find a resolution. Stay tuned.

Busan CUB 
    Spectator

oh that sucks… I just shelled out money too … boo… darn ootp Cap_PDT_01_15

Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

That sucks…you’d think almost 6 months since being released they’d have heard about this issue and resolved it. That’s why we wait so long before upgrading. And cause we’re cheap Cap_PDT_01_07

Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

well this is a shocking turn of events. πŸ˜†

Mexico City DOM 
    Spectator

Thanks Ben… I’ve shared the info with the folks in my other league as we are looking to move to 14 very soon as well.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

Yes this does suck, most of us decided to upgrade at the ASB with the discount on the premise that we’d be upgrading.

I have no doubt Marc would have been on schedule (or relatively close) had this not happened; however, this issue is not something he (or anyone else) could have foreseen.

I don’t want to speak out of turn too much, in the event I’m wrong, but I don’t think this issue is super critical to the livelihood of the league. I think worst case scenario would mean using 13 in the meantime until this gets resolved.

However, I will say that Marc (and the BOD) is really trying to get an answer so that we can move to 14, which might mean a few more days of work.

We understand that no one likes lengthy down time. I urge everyone to be as patient as possible during this time.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Take your time. Let’s get it done the right way.

Baracoa CUB 
    Spectator

The only recommendation I would make, for the future, is for us to fully vet and test out the new version before upgrading. We always must decide an entire OOTP season ahead of time to upgrade, and use that buffer period to make sure the upgrade goes smoothly.

I would volunteer to spend time on it in the future, if necessary, as Marc already does all the heavy lifting.

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

@Baracoa (DOM) wrote:

The only recommendation I would make, for the future, is for us to fully vet and test out the new version before upgrading. We always must decide an entire OOTP season ahead of time to upgrade, and use that buffer period to make sure the upgrade goes smoothly.

I would volunteer to spend time on it in the future, if necessary, as Marc already does all the heavy lifting.

Few things with this issue and etc…

1st. There was absolutely no way anyone could have forseen this (yeah I know it was said before). BUT our only options are if Marcus can crack the league or has some way to over ride this.

OR

I don’t know if anyone still in here knows J personally (Bob were you orig buddies with him?) or has his mail. He likely won’t give a flying F about us by now b/c he left on crappy terms and was a real DB about the whole thing. But hey it’s an option.

I know people have already paid and I think that’s why Marcus or someone will come through for us.

2nd. We have tried to test out things in the past and to be quite honest, there really isn’t any way to or any reason to waste the time. What happens is there is no real way to test out EVERYTHING that can go wrong or might go wrong. Every single test we ever did in the past (And I was involved with 80-90% of those) went fairly smoothly with really no problems during the test b/c we did everything that we would normally do. BUT the issues come in when 56 (or 88 as we used to have) owner do different things. There is no real way to “test” or simulate every weird thing that can be done. So simply, it’s just upgrade and go. It’s more of an IF we upgrade rather then WILL it work.

Some years make it easier for us to do the off season stuff but really none of these new editions do anything major for the way we run the league.

Keep an eye on the thread Marc started on the forums and bump the hell out of it till we get a response.

MMD

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Moca (JPN) wrote:

(Bob were you orig buddies with him?)

Nope. Never met him and I wasn’t one of the original founding GMs. I joined (the first time) when the Mexican League was created.

Puerto Plata USA 
    Spectator

If this isn’t fixed by tomorrow morning I’m gonna jump! Don’t come one step closer, I swear to God I’ll fuckin’ jump!!

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

@Santiago de Cuba (USA) wrote:

@Moca (JPN) wrote:

(Bob were you orig buddies with him?)

Nope. Never met him and I wasn’t one of the original founding GMs. I joined (the first time) when the Mexican League was created.

I know you weren’t around that far back but for some reason I thought maybe you knew him personally. It’s been so long and so many people have come and gone my memory is foggy about who knows whom

La Habana KOR 
    Spectator

I was around, but I wasn’t his friend nor did I know him other than as a gm…

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

Update: Marc has gotten in touch with Andreas and they are working on it. I think (IMHO) it sounds more like this weekend for resolution and file BUT dont worry I dont think your money was wasted!

Chihuahua USA 
    Spectator

Thanks for the updates. I know this must be frustrating for you guys, we appreciate your hard work!

La Habana KOR 
    Spectator

it is killing me to wait, but i know it will be worth it! once again, the best damn on-line league, period! Cap_PDT_01_02

Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

Enter OOTP 14 additional unnecessary IT drama. Dun dun dun. 😯

Baracoa CUB 
    Spectator

Thanks for the hard work, guys. The season cross-over used to usually take a week anyway, so this is no big deal.

Busan CUB 
    Spectator

I left once before and returned and will wait till we solve this

Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Baracoa CUB 
    Spectator

Any update? We should just continue along with OOTP13 until we can get 14 figured out…

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

I don’t think so. If we do that then it’s december when this one is over then people are saying “just wait for 15” then those who bought 14 are pissed.

No just have some patience, and continue with 14

Akashi USA 
    Spectator

In my other league (Full Count Baseball) the commissioner eventually contacted Marcus directly and asked him to intervene with a similar OOTP14 password problem. He was able to unscramble the old password and get the league going again.

Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

We need MacGyver

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

I’ll be going ahead with an OOTP 14 file tomorrow.

It’ll be posted at the normal time and we should be able to resume with the Thursday night sim.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Woohoo! Thanks Marc!

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

@Hong Kong (CUB) wrote:

I’ll be going ahead with an OOTP 14 file tomorrow.

It’ll be posted at the normal time and we should be able to resume with the Thursday night sim.

Sweet!

La Habana KOR 
    Spectator

great news!!!

Puerto Plata USA 
    Spectator

Will we need to download the full league file to 14?

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

Yes. Full file.

I’ll be emailing when it’s ready.

Santiago de los VEN 
    Spectator

Jolly Good!
    Cap_PDT_01_02
    Thanks Marc

Hamilton JPN 
    Spectator

Thanks! What ended up being the trick??

Oaxaca JPN 
    Spectator

AWESOME!!!

Tijuana VEN 
    Spectator

Great news! Thanks

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

I got mine up and running! Download/extract took just about a half-hour for me, quickest I can remember.

Good work Marc

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

when I try to load WBH in 14, it’s not recognizing the WBH league folder.

I extracted to the saved_games folder, and there’s no WBH file in the WBH file. not sure why it’s not seeing the league folder.

just tried restarting the computer, which didn’t do anything… so weird, I am literally staring at the league folder in the saved_games folder, why doesn’t OOTP see it?

Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

@Taegu (VEN) wrote:

when I try to load WBH in 14, it’s not recognizing the WBH league folder.

I extracted to the saved_games folder, and there’s no WBH file in the WBH file. not sure why it’s not seeing the league folder.

just tried restarting the computer, which didn’t do anything… so weird, I am literally staring at the league folder in the saved_games folder, why doesn’t OOTP see it?

I am sure it’s something really simple.

Are you MAC or PC?
    Are you in ootp 14 saved games (not an earlier version)
    does your league folder have “.lg” at the end of the name
    make sure you don’t have a folder within a folder
    what size is your downloaded file (confirm this with other GMs)
    what size is your extracted folder (confirm this with other GMs)

those are the top troubleshoots I can think of at this moment.

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

Somebody see if they can help Ben with his issues. My only idea is: make sure it’s the right saved_games folder. On my machine, the folder location moved.

Here’s what happened with the file, in more detail than anyone probably wants or needs:

When you create an online league in WBH, there is a “commish password”, that is a sort of master password on the whole file. It is not the same password that a commissioner user uses to log into the game. Long story short: we needed it, and I didn’t have it. Here’s why:

For the newer guys, I am actually the fourth commissioner the WBH has had, although I am the longest serving, and many of you don’t know any other WBH commish other than me. So, the guy who actually created this league was three commissioners ago, and when he left, it was rather abrupt and there was some tension. At that time, I had only been in the league for a season or two as a player.

I have been the commissioner since around 2020 (I forget precisely), and I have gone through versions of OOTP all the way back to 10 (or possibly 9…I forget), and this master password was never required before. In fact, not having started an online league myself, I didn’t even know such a password existed!

In version 14, the developers decided to make that original password necessary to access the “game setup” screens. These are the screens where you tweak league settings (which I needed to look at to make sure there aren’t new ones that will cause problems), and it’s also the same place where you can change league structures (which is what we have to do manually to handle promotion and relegation).

So, in other words, without that password, the league would have had to fold…or basically continue on version 13 until we didn’t have enough GMs to make it interesting.

None of us were in touch with the original commissioner anymore, and that’s why we didn’t have that password. The OOTP guys recovered the password for me, and I was able to get into the game setup screens, and I have now also changed that master password to one I know, and if I decide to step down as commissioner at some point in the future, I will make sure to pass that info on to others so they can keep it going.

So, that’s that. Basically the delay was just waiting for the OOTP guys to get the password for me; there was no real problem with the file or anything.

I’m very happy we’re moving into OOTP 14 because we now have 5-6 open teams, and now that we’re on the latest version, we can recruit new GMs.

Chihuahua USA 
    Spectator

Awesome, great to get back into it!

Will the next sim be on Thursday or next Tuesday? The e-mail says next Tuesday but your post in this thread says Thursday

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

Crap. That email was actually sitting in my “drafts” folder for the last week and a half and I overlooked that. That was incorrect. I’ll send another email.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

I had a terrible time trying to find where to save my league folder. It turns out that Mac OSX Lion hid the Library folder. I found this on the OOTP forums and it worked for me:

Permanently un-hide the user library folder so you can find it. Open a terminal window (terminal.app in Applications –> Utilities and run this command

Code:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

Tomorrow 9/12. Correct.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

I am sure it’s something really simple.

Are you MAC or PC?
    > PC

Are you in ootp 14 saved games (not an earlier version)
    > not at my home PC right now, but I’m pretty sure I was this AM

does your league folder have “.lg” at the end of the name
    > IIRC yes

make sure you don’t have a folder within a folder
    > 99.9% sure this was not the case

what size is your downloaded file (confirm this with other GMs)
    > don’t know. I deleted it after extraction. May need to reDL

what size is your extracted folder (confirm this with other GMs)
    > I will need to check tonight, not sure

Thanks for the help. More to come tonight when I get home. May not be until 8 or later

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

I am in the following path:
    Whitley Laptop > Documents > Out of the Park Developments > OOTP Baseball 14 > saved_games

WBH.lg is there, no “file in a file”…

“Size” is 1.94 GB…
    “Size on disk” is 2.16 GB
    what’s the difference between the two? and can someone check theirs to verify?

I am going to re-DL and see what happens

Chihuahua USA 
    Spectator

When you create a new league (or if you have any other leagues), do you see it appear in that directory?

I think folders ending with .lg should show up in OOTP, even if it’s not a OOTP14 league folder. It sounds like we’re in the wrong folder here.

Alternatively, I think when you’re trying to load a game, there’s a button like ‘Open Folder’ that should open the saved_games folder in Windows Explorer. You can see if the folder that leads you to is the one that you expected

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

I’m not sure what you mean, in first sentence of second paragraph.

I thought about following the path in OOTP to make sure I was in the right place, but without ANY league folders, the only options available in that window are Restore from Backup and Cancel. the others are grayed out

in the process of re-DL now, it’s showing the .rar file to be 698 MB.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

Thanks to your suggestion David, i may have it figured out now, but I won’t know until the file is finished extracting

so in the “OOTP Baseball 14” folder, there is a “data” folder and a “saved_games” folder. I put the WBH file in the “OOTP Baseball 14 > saved_games” folder, but there’s ALSO a “OOTP Baseball > data > saved_games” (i.e. a second saved_games folder INSIDE the “data” folder), which is where the MLB file was placed when I started it.

I don’t recall going to the “data” folder in the past. and Marc’s instructions don’t show the “data” folder step, just directly into the “OOTP Baseball 14 > saved_games” folder.

I’m not placing blame on those instructions, but if other people followed that and it worked, then why didn’t it work for me?
    Cap_PDT_01_31

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

You said in the email build 23 but I just downloaded the game now and it says build 28 I am in the process of DL the league file is this going to be a problem?

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

so the league folder needs to be in the “data > saved_games” folder. I’m good now

Dan, i updated this morning, so I probably have build 28 as well.

so far so good (granted, after only 5 minutes in game and no export yet). we’ll see

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Moca (JPN) wrote:

You said in the email build 23 but I just downloaded the game now and it says build 28 I am in the process of DL the league file is this going to be a problem?

Are you sure you didn’t misread that? According to the OOTP forum, Build 23 is supposed to be the final update. I updated this morning and I’m pretty sure it was Build 23. (I’m not in front of my desktop right now.)

La Habana KOR 
    Spectator
     Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

I don’t know, Dan…build 23 was the most recent when the file was created.

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

I just loaded it up again and it clearly says version 14.5 Build 28 But I didn’t have any problems opening and exporting the file so Im not too worried.

Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

@Moca (JPN) wrote:

I just loaded it up again and it clearly says version 14.5 Build 28 But I didn’t have any problems opening and exporting the file so Im not too worried.

Though I can’t see any mention of it (haven’t really looked either), the last 3 updates seem to be cross compatible, at least for established leagues.

Mexico City DOM 
    Spectator

If you look at The Leones post above, build 28 was released yesterday.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOIN US

If you would like to join, send us a message with a little bit about you and your OOTP history.

Sending

Β©2019Β World Baseball Hierarchy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar