Free Agency Chatter

This topic contains 26 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Santiago de Cuba USA 5 years, 3 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #3184
     Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

    Well I was looking for a 2B or 3B after my starting 2B Yu wanted 25M for the next 5 years and since he’ll be 38 by the time the season starts, I told him where to go. So I found a solid, yet not spectacular replacement in Sagasgume, and he was only looking for 4M for 2 years…sounds awesome. So I figured there might be a bidding war, so I offered 4.5M for the next 3 seasons as a solid starting point. Well it turns out he received a much better offer at 3.8M for 2 years with Puerto Plata. That has me confuised…we’ve averaged over 80 wins the last 5 years, you’d think players would take discounts to sign with us, not take discounts to not sign with us.

  • #22720
     Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

    Yet again we’ve got some ridiculous contract demands…Sol, a 32 year old RF who played in 56 games last season and hit 6 HR wants 20M/season. He’s a 7/7/6/5/7…I understand he’s a solid player, but 20M is franchise type player money and he’s far from that.

    Then we have Masaki Kamuta who wants 175M over 7 years, and he’ll be 32 when the season starts. He also has a wrecked injury history and has missed 85 games the past 2 seasons.

    So do you guys generally just wait a few sims, then try and lowball a few guys cause no way these guys sign for this amount.

  • #22721
     Hukuoka CUB 
    Spectator

    I usually offer what I am willing to pay. Which starts out with the FA asking for more, but once the season gets closer to starting the people who have yet to sign come back to earth and take the offer (or sign with someone else). That is how I got SP Lopez last season at least. I put the offer on the table the first FA sim and then waited until one of the last ones before he finally broke down and took my offer (which surprised me).

  • #22724
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    Warren, I’m in virtually the same boat. I tried to land Ryobe Sakei who was asking $1.7 mil per year. I offered slightly more than that and I thought I would get him since he’s a pretty average player. I lost him to Santurce for $4 mil per year.

    I usually just wait out the madness. If I really need somebody, I’ll overpay a little bit. I’m not paying $15 mil per year for five years to 35 year old Francois Jacques, especially since he needs to be platooned.

  • #22725
     Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

    @Hukuoka (USA) wrote:

    I usually offer what I am willing to pay. Which starts out with the FA asking for more, but once the season gets closer to starting the people who have yet to sign come back to earth and take the offer (or sign with someone else). That is how I got SP Lopez last season at least. I put the offer on the table the first FA sim and then waited until one of the last ones before he finally broke down and took my offer (which surprised me).

    So did he not respond to your offer and then sign many weeks later, or did he ask for more money, you didn’t increase the offer and then he just took it? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a time where I offered a guy say 10M/year, he asks for 15M and I just ignore him and he ends up taking to 10M.

  • #22208
     Hukuoka CUB 
    Spectator

    I didn’t offer him any more, I just left it be (i actually forgot about it) and suddenly I see a message that he took my offer… He might have been illegaly signed by another team and then re-entered the FA market (I cant remember and I don’t have the game open at the moment). I never offered him any more than my initial offer, he just ended up taking it.

  • #22733
     Incheon KOR 
    Spectator

    The voided contract was for substantially more money than the $13M/yr that he ended up signing for. When I saw the first contract, I assumed that he’d go for at least that much and didn’t even offer again. I guess the team that picked him up a little early didn’t even try to make the same bid. Others must have also stayed away after initial sticker shock, because $13M is a very reasonable salary in our current free agency climate.

  • #22744
     Mexico City DOM 
    Spectator

    The Gilas put out four FA offers in hopes of landing one, and thus far are 1-1 on those signings. C Iwane Kataoka will be bringing his career .300+ average to the Distrito Federal, providing some punch to the line-up as well as some pretty reliable defense. Kataoka signed a 2-year, $22M deal with two team options for a potential 4-year deal.

    Where the Gilas are bummed is losing out on SS Jay-Man Kal, whom choose Bonao’s offer of three guaranteed years. Kal was Mexico City’s #1 FA choice, but were hesitant to commit long term to the 31-year old SS. It was the new GM’s unfamiliarity with the WBH’s age-performance distribution curve that led to such hesitation.

  • #22745
     Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

    @Mexico City (VEN) wrote:

    The Gilas put out four FA offers in hopes of landing one, and thus far are 1-1 on those signings. C Iwane Kataoka will be bringing his career .300+ average to the Distrito Federal, providing some punch to the line-up as well as some pretty reliable defense. Kataoka signed a 2-year, $22M deal with two team options for a potential 4-year deal.

    Where the Gilas are bummed is losing out on SS Jay-Man Kal, whom choose Bonao’s offer of three guaranteed years. Kal was Mexico City’s #1 FA choice, but were hesitant to commit long term to the 31-year old SS. It was the new GM’s unfamiliarity with the WBH’s age-performance distribution curve that led to such hesitation.

    We were after Kal was well, I believe we offered almost the same deal to what was accepted by Bonao. I think our deal was a 4 year deal averaging 6 or 6.5M/season. I thought I was overpaying, but it seems all the free agents still want a ridiculous amount.

  • #22746
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    I’m stunned that anybody wants to pay Kal more than $3 mil per year. He’s a plus defender and that’s it. I considered him for a split second as a utility infielder and then realized that somebody would overpay him so it wasn’t worth my time.

  • #22747
     Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

    @Santiago de Cuba (USA) wrote:

    I’m stunned that anybody wants to pay Kal more than $3 mil per year. He’s a plus defender and that’s it. I considered him for a split second as a utility infielder and then realized that somebody would overpay him so it wasn’t worth my time.

    We can’t all Moneyball it, it’s called supply and demand Bob.
    Billy Beane cannot exist in a world with out Steinbrenner and other big spenders.
    Don’t tap the glass.

    Cap_PDT_01_25

  • #22748
     Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

    @Santiago de Cuba (USA) wrote:

    I’m stunned that anybody wants to pay Kal more than $3 mil per year. He’s a plus defender and that’s it. I considered him for a split second as a utility infielder and then realized that somebody would overpay him so it wasn’t worth my time.

    Says the guy who just doubled the salary of a 31 year old lefty coming of a 4.76 ERA. Cap_PDT_01_19

  • #22749
     Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

    I don’t why you’d say that Bob, Kal looks like he’d be an upgrade for you at SS.

  • #22750
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    @Toluca (USA) wrote:

    @Santiago de Cuba (USA) wrote:

    I’m stunned that anybody wants to pay Kal more than $3 mil per year. He’s a plus defender and that’s it. I considered him for a split second as a utility infielder and then realized that somebody would overpay him so it wasn’t worth my time.

    Says the guy who just doubled the salary of a 31 year old lefty coming of a 4.76 ERA. Cap_PDT_01_19

    Balsa has a phenomenal track record as one of the best pitchers in the league. He had a definite down year but I’d still rather pay $12 mil per year to a 9/7/6 starter than the $20-25 mil that I’d pay to land him as a free agent.
    @Taegu (VEN) wrote:

    I don’t why you’d say that Bob, Kal looks like he’d be an upgrade for you at SS.

    Kal and Fok have the same 7/2/5 hitter ratings although Kal is definitely better on defense. Fok needs time in the majors to see if he’ll develop into his 9/4/6 potential. He’s not progressing at AAA.

  • #22751
     Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

    Values are relative.

    Bob, obviously you’re not going to spend $6m on a SS when you have an identical SS on your team already. Beyond the talent, different teams have different cap room available, and therefore the dollar value has different meaning to them.

    So if someone really needs a SS, and they have the money to spend, it’s perfectly reasonable. $6m is not a particularly high salary in this league, anyway.

    Editing this to say: I probably overspent on Blanco Quintana, particularly in terms of length of contract. I have a little buyer’s remorse. But, one glaring weakness for me last year was OF hitting against LH, and fearing other interest in Quintana, I offered him a decent deal, just to fill that hole. (In fact, I spent $10m to bring in him and Villamide to fill that hole in a big way.)

    If you look at my player salaries, there’s not much of a correlation between player quality and salary amount. Like he said, supply and demand…players are worth whatever it takes to get them, to fill the holes you need to fill at the time.

  • #22752
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    @Hong Kong (CUB) wrote:

    Values are relative.

    Bob, obviously you’re not going to spend $6m on a SS when you have an identical SS on your team already. Beyond the talent, different teams have different cap room available, and therefore the dollar value has different meaning to them.

    I guess I look at it a bit differently. In my opinion, and perhaps I’m in the minority, certain skills are worth a certain paycheck. If the price goes over that, I’ll bow out. The only exception is for a one year hole plug.

    That’s probably how I mostly avoid bad contracts. Then again, that’s also probably why I don’t sign many free agents. (I only have two productive free agent signings on my roster right now: Ostrom and Villima)

  • #22753
     Cheju CAN 
    Spectator

    We opened up the bank on SP Roman Cruz @ $20M x 3 yrs. He has a decent track record and solid ratings. Finished 2nd the last 3 years so hopefully he’ll put Cheju over the top.

    KEN

  • #22754
     Baracoa CUB 
    Spectator

    I liked Kal, but when I lost out on him I went to the trade market and got a much better option. I did give up a chunk of my farm system, and keeping the guy I got will cost a pretty penny, but a guy putting up 5+ WAR every year is a lot more rare (and thus a lot more valuable) than a guy putting up 2+ WAR like Kal. It’s not a linear scale. I’d rather have my guy at $15M, say, than Kal at $7.5M (plus my prospects), even though both at their best my guy is only likely to double Kal’s production.

  • #22755
     Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

    Ya, I mean I didn’t Kal was worth 7.5M/season for his production, but there were a few factors I had to consider…

    A) I have limited options in the minors from drafting 8th for 5 straight years to trade for a solid SS
    B) My team’s payroll is 40M under the cap and I need a Closer, 2B/SS and one Outfielder

    What good does it do me to have my payroll at 50M and make $40M this year? I’d much rather overpay a few guys for 2 or 3 years and bring my salary into the 85M range.

    Free Agency isn’t the way to build a winning team, but if you already have a winning team, you’re going to have to overpay for Free Agents. It’s very similar to MLB where you can generally re-sign a player for less than what it’d cost to get him on the open market.

  • #22763
     Moca DOM 
    Spectator

    You know that thing where you need a bunch of pitchers so you send out a bunch of offers b/c no one EVER signs with you…. Then they ALL sign?

    Ummmm yeah that sucks (sorta)

  • #22770
     Mexico City DOM 
    Spectator

    Mexico City signed a couple of lower tier FAs to complement their roster, while two offers to bigger named stars remain on the table as they ponder the offers. 3B Chang Park, whom The Gilas claimed off waivers and then watched him hit .290 in a reserve role, signed a 1-year deal for $950K. He’ll continue to back-up at 2B and 3B. MR Myung-Bak Sagong, who spent his entire career with Jeonju, signed a 1-year deal for $750 K. Sagong had a 3.50 ERA over 43.2 IP last year for the Jays, with a .259 OAVG and a 1.35 WHIP.

    Neither are mind boggling deals, but are seen as temp moves as Mexico City awaits rebuilding the farm system, young talent at MC maturing, and a few bigger FAs signing.

  • #22838
     Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

    Wow! How the hell did Azua get Lee tai hoi Jin with a 1-year $6,000,000 deal? Did everyone just give up on him? The guy’s got a frickin .416 career OBP and barely ever strikes out. 9/5/2/9/10 vs RHP Cap_PDT_01_31

    I had an offer on him early in the 17,000,000 a year range but pulled out figuring there would be too much competition. and decided to overpay for Kamuta and Jacques. That signing by Jim could really tilt the balance of power in the CUB LAD.

    Speaking of Kamuta and Jacques – yeah, I don’t mind over-paying for need since it’s not like I can pocket the money. I was lacking guys who get on base and those two wear out right-handed pitching. Kamuta’s only two years, and Jacques third year is a team option.

    I have always coveted Frenchy McFrench. Left-handed infielder who murders righties and pretty much backs up every position except C and CF. Hopefully I can squeeze a couple more good seasons out of him.

  • #22842
     Tijuana VEN 
    Spectator

    @Vancouver (USA) wrote:

    Wow! How the hell did Azua get Lee tai hoi Jin with a 1-year $6,000,000 deal? Did everyone just give up on him? The guy’s got a frickin .416 career OBP and barely ever strikes out. 9/5/2/9/10 vs RHP Cap_PDT_01_31

    I was watching him but he wanted a lot more money from me. I never have had any luck signing anyone for less on the first offer. Usually a player’s demand will come down after an offer, but they never sign. This FA class was slim pickings and everyone wanted more money from me than what they sign for with other teams.

  • #22849
     Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

    @Tijuana (JPN) wrote:

    This FA class was slim pickings and everyone wanted more money from me than what they sign for with other teams.

    It’s always best to offer what you’re willing to pay, and ignore what they want. I’m sure he wanted 20 million from Azua too. I’ve gotten guys on the cheap before just because I had extra money lying around and made a “what the hell” offer. If no one gives them what they want they’ll eventually take the best offer standing.

  • #22949
     Puerto Plata USA 
    Spectator

    @Bocas del Toro (USA) wrote:

    Well I was looking for a 2B or 3B after my starting 2B Yu wanted 25M for the next 5 years and since he’ll be 38 by the time the season starts, I told him where to go. So I found a solid, yet not spectacular replacement in Sagasgume, and he was only looking for 4M for 2 years…sounds awesome. So I figured there might be a bidding war, so I offered 4.5M for the next 3 seasons as a solid starting point. Well it turns out he received a much better offer at 3.8M for 2 years with Puerto Plata. That has me confuised…we’ve averaged over 80 wins the last 5 years, you’d think players would take discounts to sign with us, not take discounts to not sign with us.

    My offer was actually 3.8MM/yr x 3yrs, with some incentives for performance. I rarely venture into FA market due to $ and having rug pulled out from under me when players sign for less than I offered. In my book, I was due.

  • #22957
     Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

    I can’t believe how much the players are demanding to sign. I have a lot of salary cap room but I feel like I’m better off not signing anyone unless I can get them on a one-year deal.

  • #22960
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    @Jeonju (KOR) wrote:

    I can’t believe how much the players are demanding to sign. I have a lot of salary cap room but I feel like I’m better off not signing anyone unless I can get them on a one-year deal.

    Yup. You’re a quick learner!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOIN US

If you would like to join, send us a message with a little bit about you and your OOTP history.

Sending

©2018 World Baseball Hierarchy

or

Log in with your credentials

or    

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar