Five Questions

This topic contains 47 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Santiago de Cuba USA 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Soon I’ll be launching a monthly column for the homepage called Five Questions. I figured the homepage could use some updating. I’ll feature one the GMs and ask them five WBH and team-specific questions.

Here’s a question for you: Who would you like to see featured first?

Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

The winner of 2027 GM of the year would be a nice start.

Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

Either that or most improved GM.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

A GM of the Year interview wouldn’t be super interactive.

La Habana KOR 
    Spectator

How bout the GM with the best record or the flip side, the GM with the worst record?

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@La Habana (CAN) wrote:

How bout the GM with the best record or the flip side, the GM with the worst record?

Interviewing the GM with the worst record could become rather contentious. It would certainly be a good read, that’s for sure.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

I’m excited to announce the Jim Lee from Azua (USA) will be the first subject of the new Five Questions column! I figured that the top would be a good place to start. When considering USA Championships, Jim is by far the most successful GM in WBH history.

Ideally, I’d like to make the column interactive with the forum by selecting a forum submitted question as one of the five questions.

What question would you like to see me ask Jim?

Nagasaki VEN 
    Spectator

@Santiago de Cuba (USA) wrote:

I’m excited to announce the Jim Lee from Azua (USA) will be the first subject of the new Five Questions column! I figured that the top would be a good place to start. When considering USA Championships, Jim is by far the most successful GM in WBH history.

Ideally, I’d like to make the column interactive with the forum by selecting a forum submitted question as one of the five questions.

What question would you like to see me ask Jim?

Given that he’s a Pepsico executive in real life, I think we all have the same burning question: Does he have a fully stocked beverage fountain in his office?

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

-OR-

Pepsi Max or Coke Zero?

Nagasaki VEN 
    Spectator

@Taegu (JPN) wrote:

-OR-

Pepsi Max or Coke Zero?

The correct answer to that question is, of course: “dying of thirst.”

Toa Baja KOR 
    Spectator

Better yet can we get Pepsi to sponsor the USA champion with a supply of Mt Dew until the next champion is named.

Cheju CAN 
    Spectator

Its a simple choice between Pepsi & Coke :

Have you ever heard someone order a Captain and Pepsi ? Me thinks not.

Coke rules (though we’ll gladly take Pepsi’s sponsership $$$…lol)

KEN-CHEJU

Tokorozawa DOM 
    Spectator

I would ask him if it’s true that Pepsi has developed a top secret PED drink. And if so, I would ask if the Azua Tortugas are the test subjects.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Thank you everybody for your insights. It was super helpful.

The questions and answers are done, I’m just waiting for Marc to set me up with some info on how to post.

Mao DOM 
    Spectator

It must have been a forgery, Bob, because I certainly haven’t sent you any answers.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

The first article is up. Let me know what you think!

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

It’s a great article!

I have said it many times before Jim is a class act and one of my longtime favorite managers in the league and one I consider a friend for a long time. I have had a few long chats with him on AIM and he’s just a great guy.

I hope to meet Jim in real life some day if nothing else but to have a beer with someone who shares the equally geeky taste that we all have in being in love with fake ball players!

Toa Baja KOR 
    Spectator

Very nice article about a great owner.

Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

Great read, great owner, and great job by Bob also.

Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

I really wanted to take the Muppets approach with the two old guys in the balcony depicting what they saw. In this case what they have read. However, I can’t do it. Nicely done. Two thumbs up.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

Great “new” feature. I remember when Carmen Pisano (IIRC) did a similar feature when I was new to the league. Glad it’s back.

Well done to both of you guys.

edit to say: it would be cool to see which question was the “guest question” and who it came from (if the selected questioner doesn’t mind being named)

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Taegu (JPN) wrote:

edit to say: it would be cool to see which question was the “guest question” and who it came from (if the selected questioner doesn’t mind being named)

Nobody. All you guys wanted to know was questions about Pepsi fountains and Mountain Dew sponsorship.

I hoped to make it interactive and pick a question from the forum but I never got a good one. I’m going to try again next month. I’ll cut that effort if we don’t get a good question then.

Chihuahua USA 
    Spectator

Great job. I really enjoyed that. Thank you both for taking the time to give us that treat.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

August’s Five Questions column will feature Bocas del Toro’s Warren Pineau, 2027’s Most Improved GM.

I’d love to pick a question from the crowd. What question would you like to see me ask Warren? Post it and I’ll pick my favorite and ask him.

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

what brough you to WBH

What other leagues you been in or in now

What keeps you here

Your fav opponent or rival?

Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

August’s Five Questions column will feature Bocas del Toro’s Warren Pineau, 2027’s Most Improved GM.

I’d love to pick a question from the crowd. What question would you like to see me ask Warren? Post it and I’ll pick my favorite and ask him.

Reveal one secret you use while scouting players that other owners may not be aware of. Cap_PDT_01_05

Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

Did your mentality change from season to season to win this award? Or was it a plan over a period of time when you hit your apex?

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

What’s your main hobby, or what do you do for fun other than the WBH?

Baracoa CUB 
    Spectator

Can you please let Baracoa win the VEN LAD this season? Cap_PDT_01_18

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

August’s Five Questions is up! Check it out and let me know what you think.

Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

from the 5-Questions…

It looks like Toluca will take the Longitude Division, and we think that would be an excellent final. If the bullpen doesn’t pick it up quickly, we’ll probably be bringing fireballer Manuel Velazquez up from AAA to take over the setup role.

Call up the kid, Toluca would love to face him in an important part of a championship series. Cap_PDT_01_26

Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

We did end up bringing him up for the next sim…couldn’t trust our damn bullpen anymore.

Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

Good read and I’m not just saying that because you used my question. Cap_PDT_01_07 .

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

I have a special Five Questions segment for September and I was waiting for the new file to come out to announce it.

Every 2028 league champion has agreed to participate and answer one question.

Post your question and who you’re asking. I’ll answer a question too but only if one is asked to me directly. Ask the champs and get some insight on how to win your league!

Please have all questions posted by Wednesday the 12th.

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

I’ll toss out a question for Bob…

Were you surprised by the relatively easy time you had of it in the USA on the first year after promotion?

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

September’s column has been posted. Thanks to everybody who participated!

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

Nice to see insights from so many different guys.

The amount of planning everyone here puts into their teams makes us all legally committable to insane asylums, I think.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Hong Kong (CUB) wrote:

The amount of planning everyone here puts into their teams makes us all legally committable to insane asylums, I think.

I consider this my full-on hobby. I would equate it to practicing and playing golf constantly… but much cheaper.

Toronto JPN 
    Spectator

nice articles

best of luck this season

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

October’s column featuring Zeb White of Hukuoka is now posted on the homepage. Check it out!

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Five Questions is coming back! I never forgot about it, I just got busy. I got tied up with my business at the end of last year. It was going to relaunch in January but then a local TV station started recruiting me back into my former profession. There’s no way I would’ve had time for the column if I took the job. That whole thing is finally behind me so I can get back to writing.

Anyways, Molson from Toluca, our standing Japan champion, will be the subject of this month’s article. I’ll either post it tonight or tomorrow depending on how much time I have.

(On a side note, Brian should have the yearly awards ready sometime around the weekend. I’ll post the Hall of Fame ballot once the yearly voting is done.)

Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

New front page is up!

I feel famous! Cap_PDT_01_05

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

April’s Five Questions is now up on the homepage featuring USA veteran Gerhard Trippel of Oaxaca. Take a look when you have time!

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

good read as always. thanks, bob and gerhard.

Toa Baja KOR 
    Spectator

I enjoyed it, too. Thanks for taking the time to make this contribution.

Down the road if you continue to do these I’d like to learn a bit about the people who do the necessary tasks to keep the league running. This is such a large league I admit to sometimes just being overwhelmed with the number of participants. I’d like to read about Marc, our commish, and how he manages the league…the challenges, high and low points, etc. Also, the GM’s who have been here the longest.

Thanks!

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Toa Baja (USA) wrote:

Down the road if you continue to do these I’d like to learn a bit about the people who do the necessary tasks to keep the league running. This is such a large league I admit to sometimes just being overwhelmed with the number of participants. I’d like to read about Marc, our commish, and how he manages the league…the challenges, high and low points, etc. Also, the GM’s who have been here the longest.

Thanks!

Excellent suggestion! I try to choose a GM based on something currently happening in the league. I picked Gerhard (a 17 season veteran) this month because we recently had a disagreement in the USA thread about the value of a prospect that he selected.

There are certain longterm GMs (Marc – Hong Kong, Ben – Taegu, Dan – Moca, etc) that would definitely make excellent subjects but I’m waiting for something big to happen with them (i.e. Dan finally gets to the USA) or a lack of stuff going on elsewhere.

I used to try making this column interactive and getting questions from the forum but it wasn’t working so I just saved myself the effort.

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

@Toa Baja (USA) wrote:

Thanks!

Excellent suggestion! I try to choose a GM based on something currently happening in the league. I picked Gerhard (a 17 season veteran) this month because we recently had a disagreement in the USA thread about the value of a prospect that he selected.

There are certain longterm GMs (Marc – Hong Kong, Ben – Taegu, Dan – Moca, etc) that would definitely make excellent subjects but I’m waiting for something big to happen with them (i.e. Dan finally gets to the USA) or a lack of stuff going on elsewhere.

I used to try making this column interactive and getting questions from the forum but it wasn’t working so I just saved myself the effort.

Dude you might be waiting a LONG time for that to happen

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

May’s column is on the homepage and features the guy who was dominating the third tier (until the last two sims), Jae Gregory.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOIN US

If you would like to join, send us a message with a little bit about you and your OOTP history.

Sending

©2019 World Baseball Hierarchy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar