Five Questions

This topic contains 47 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Santiago de Cuba USA 6 years, 2 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #2334
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    Soon I’ll be launching a monthly column for the homepage called Five Questions. I figured the homepage could use some updating. I’ll feature one the GMs and ask them five WBH and team-specific questions.

    Here’s a question for you: Who would you like to see featured first?

  • #18226
     Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

    The winner of 2027 GM of the year would be a nice start.

  • #18237
     Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

    Either that or most improved GM.

  • #18238
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    A GM of the Year interview wouldn’t be super interactive.

  • #18239
     La Habana KOR 
    Spectator

    How bout the GM with the best record or the flip side, the GM with the worst record?

  • #18240
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    @La Habana (CAN) wrote:

    How bout the GM with the best record or the flip side, the GM with the worst record?

    Interviewing the GM with the worst record could become rather contentious. It would certainly be a good read, that’s for sure.

  • #17571
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    I’m excited to announce the Jim Lee from Azua (USA) will be the first subject of the new Five Questions column! I figured that the top would be a good place to start. When considering USA Championships, Jim is by far the most successful GM in WBH history.

    Ideally, I’d like to make the column interactive with the forum by selecting a forum submitted question as one of the five questions.

    What question would you like to see me ask Jim?

  • #18318
     Nagasaki VEN 
    Spectator

    @Santiago de Cuba (USA) wrote:

    I’m excited to announce the Jim Lee from Azua (USA) will be the first subject of the new Five Questions column! I figured that the top would be a good place to start. When considering USA Championships, Jim is by far the most successful GM in WBH history.

    Ideally, I’d like to make the column interactive with the forum by selecting a forum submitted question as one of the five questions.

    What question would you like to see me ask Jim?

    Given that he’s a Pepsico executive in real life, I think we all have the same burning question: Does he have a fully stocked beverage fountain in his office?

  • #18321
     Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

    -OR-

    Pepsi Max or Coke Zero?

  • #18322
     Nagasaki VEN 
    Spectator

    @Taegu (JPN) wrote:

    -OR-

    Pepsi Max or Coke Zero?

    The correct answer to that question is, of course: “dying of thirst.”

  • #18323
     Toa Baja KOR 
    Spectator

    Better yet can we get Pepsi to sponsor the USA champion with a supply of Mt Dew until the next champion is named.

  • #18338
     Cheju CAN 
    Spectator

    Its a simple choice between Pepsi & Coke :

    Have you ever heard someone order a Captain and Pepsi ? Me thinks not.

    Coke rules (though we’ll gladly take Pepsi’s sponsership $$$…lol)

    KEN-CHEJU

  • #18343
     Tokorozawa DOM 
    Spectator

    I would ask him if it’s true that Pepsi has developed a top secret PED drink. And if so, I would ask if the Azua Tortugas are the test subjects.

  • #18345
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    Thank you everybody for your insights. It was super helpful.

    The questions and answers are done, I’m just waiting for Marc to set me up with some info on how to post.

  • #18360
     Mao DOM 
    Spectator

    It must have been a forgery, Bob, because I certainly haven’t sent you any answers.

  • #18375
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    The first article is up. Let me know what you think!

  • #18377
     Moca DOM 
    Spectator

    It’s a great article!

    I have said it many times before Jim is a class act and one of my longtime favorite managers in the league and one I consider a friend for a long time. I have had a few long chats with him on AIM and he’s just a great guy.

    I hope to meet Jim in real life some day if nothing else but to have a beer with someone who shares the equally geeky taste that we all have in being in love with fake ball players!

  • #18386
     Toa Baja KOR 
    Spectator

    Very nice article about a great owner.

  • #18401
     Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

    Great read, great owner, and great job by Bob also.

  • #18402
     Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

    I really wanted to take the Muppets approach with the two old guys in the balcony depicting what they saw. In this case what they have read. However, I can’t do it. Nicely done. Two thumbs up.

  • #18405
     Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

    Great “new” feature. I remember when Carmen Pisano (IIRC) did a similar feature when I was new to the league. Glad it’s back.

    Well done to both of you guys.

    edit to say: it would be cool to see which question was the “guest question” and who it came from (if the selected questioner doesn’t mind being named)

  • #18214
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    @Taegu (JPN) wrote:

    edit to say: it would be cool to see which question was the “guest question” and who it came from (if the selected questioner doesn’t mind being named)

    Nobody. All you guys wanted to know was questions about Pepsi fountains and Mountain Dew sponsorship.

    I hoped to make it interactive and pick a question from the forum but I never got a good one. I’m going to try again next month. I’ll cut that effort if we don’t get a good question then.

  • #18415
     Chihuahua USA 
    Spectator

    Great job. I really enjoyed that. Thank you both for taking the time to give us that treat.

  • #18543
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    August’s Five Questions column will feature Bocas del Toro’s Warren Pineau, 2027’s Most Improved GM.

    I’d love to pick a question from the crowd. What question would you like to see me ask Warren? Post it and I’ll pick my favorite and ask him.

  • #18562
     Moca DOM 
    Spectator

    what brough you to WBH

    What other leagues you been in or in now

    What keeps you here

    Your fav opponent or rival?

  • #18565
     Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

    @Santiago de Cuba (USA) wrote:

    August’s Five Questions column will feature Bocas del Toro’s Warren Pineau, 2027’s Most Improved GM.

    I’d love to pick a question from the crowd. What question would you like to see me ask Warren? Post it and I’ll pick my favorite and ask him.

    Reveal one secret you use while scouting players that other owners may not be aware of. Cap_PDT_01_05

  • #18570
     Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

    Did your mentality change from season to season to win this award? Or was it a plan over a period of time when you hit your apex?

  • #18573
     Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

    What’s your main hobby, or what do you do for fun other than the WBH?

  • #18576
     Baracoa CUB 
    Spectator

    @Santiago de Cuba (USA) wrote:

    August’s Five Questions column will feature Bocas del Toro’s Warren Pineau, 2027’s Most Improved GM.

    I’d love to pick a question from the crowd. What question would you like to see me ask Warren? Post it and I’ll pick my favorite and ask him.

    Can you please let Baracoa win the VEN LAD this season? Cap_PDT_01_18

  • #18793
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    August’s Five Questions is up! Check it out and let me know what you think.

  • #18811
     Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

    from the 5-Questions…

    It looks like Toluca will take the Longitude Division, and we think that would be an excellent final. If the bullpen doesn’t pick it up quickly, we’ll probably be bringing fireballer Manuel Velazquez up from AAA to take over the setup role.

    Call up the kid, Toluca would love to face him in an important part of a championship series. Cap_PDT_01_26

  • #18812
     Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

    We did end up bringing him up for the next sim…couldn’t trust our damn bullpen anymore.

  • #18830
     Thunder Bay KOR 
    Spectator

    Good read and I’m not just saying that because you used my question. Cap_PDT_01_07 .

  • #19088
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    I have a special Five Questions segment for September and I was waiting for the new file to come out to announce it.

    Every 2028 league champion has agreed to participate and answer one question.

    Post your question and who you’re asking. I’ll answer a question too but only if one is asked to me directly. Ask the champs and get some insight on how to win your league!

    Please have all questions posted by Wednesday the 12th.

  • #19103
     Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

    I’ll toss out a question for Bob…

    Were you surprised by the relatively easy time you had of it in the USA on the first year after promotion?

  • #19247
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    September’s column has been posted. Thanks to everybody who participated!

  • #19226
     Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

    Nice to see insights from so many different guys.

    The amount of planning everyone here puts into their teams makes us all legally committable to insane asylums, I think.

  • #19269
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    @Hong Kong (CUB) wrote:

    The amount of planning everyone here puts into their teams makes us all legally committable to insane asylums, I think.

    I consider this my full-on hobby. I would equate it to practicing and playing golf constantly… but much cheaper.

  • #18231
     Toronto JPN 
    Spectator

    nice articles

    best of luck this season

  • #19286
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    October’s column featuring Zeb White of Hukuoka is now posted on the homepage. Check it out!

  • #21634
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    Five Questions is coming back! I never forgot about it, I just got busy. I got tied up with my business at the end of last year. It was going to relaunch in January but then a local TV station started recruiting me back into my former profession. There’s no way I would’ve had time for the column if I took the job. That whole thing is finally behind me so I can get back to writing.

    Anyways, Molson from Toluca, our standing Japan champion, will be the subject of this month’s article. I’ll either post it tonight or tomorrow depending on how much time I have.

    (On a side note, Brian should have the yearly awards ready sometime around the weekend. I’ll post the Hall of Fame ballot once the yearly voting is done.)

  • #21638
     Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

    New front page is up!

    I feel famous! Cap_PDT_01_05

  • #22017
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    April’s Five Questions is now up on the homepage featuring USA veteran Gerhard Trippel of Oaxaca. Take a look when you have time!

  • #22018
     Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

    good read as always. thanks, bob and gerhard.

  • #22022
     Toa Baja KOR 
    Spectator

    I enjoyed it, too. Thanks for taking the time to make this contribution.

    Down the road if you continue to do these I’d like to learn a bit about the people who do the necessary tasks to keep the league running. This is such a large league I admit to sometimes just being overwhelmed with the number of participants. I’d like to read about Marc, our commish, and how he manages the league…the challenges, high and low points, etc. Also, the GM’s who have been here the longest.

    Thanks!

  • #22023
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    @Toa Baja (USA) wrote:

    I enjoyed it, too. Thanks for taking the time to make this contribution.

    Down the road if you continue to do these I’d like to learn a bit about the people who do the necessary tasks to keep the league running. This is such a large league I admit to sometimes just being overwhelmed with the number of participants. I’d like to read about Marc, our commish, and how he manages the league…the challenges, high and low points, etc. Also, the GM’s who have been here the longest.

    Thanks!

    Excellent suggestion! I try to choose a GM based on something currently happening in the league. I picked Gerhard (a 17 season veteran) this month because we recently had a disagreement in the USA thread about the value of a prospect that he selected.

    There are certain longterm GMs (Marc – Hong Kong, Ben – Taegu, Dan – Moca, etc) that would definitely make excellent subjects but I’m waiting for something big to happen with them (i.e. Dan finally gets to the USA) or a lack of stuff going on elsewhere.

    I used to try making this column interactive and getting questions from the forum but it wasn’t working so I just saved myself the effort.

  • #22025
     Moca DOM 
    Spectator

    @Santiago de Cuba (USA) wrote:

    @Toa Baja (USA) wrote:

    I enjoyed it, too. Thanks for taking the time to make this contribution.

    Down the road if you continue to do these I’d like to learn a bit about the people who do the necessary tasks to keep the league running. This is such a large league I admit to sometimes just being overwhelmed with the number of participants. I’d like to read about Marc, our commish, and how he manages the league…the challenges, high and low points, etc. Also, the GM’s who have been here the longest.

    Thanks!

    Excellent suggestion! I try to choose a GM based on something currently happening in the league. I picked Gerhard (a 17 season veteran) this month because we recently had a disagreement in the USA thread about the value of a prospect that he selected.

    There are certain longterm GMs (Marc – Hong Kong, Ben – Taegu, Dan – Moca, etc) that would definitely make excellent subjects but I’m waiting for something big to happen with them (i.e. Dan finally gets to the USA) or a lack of stuff going on elsewhere.

    I used to try making this column interactive and getting questions from the forum but it wasn’t working so I just saved myself the effort.

    Dude you might be waiting a LONG time for that to happen

  • #22414
     Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

    May’s column is on the homepage and features the guy who was dominating the third tier (until the last two sims), Jae Gregory.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOIN US

If you would like to join, send us a message with a little bit about you and your OOTP history.

Sending

©2019 World Baseball Hierarchy

or

Log in with your credentials

or    

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar