Daaaa Bears.

This topic contains 33 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Taegu JPN 5 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
     Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

Friday March 1, 2030 – As many already know by now, we have pushed the Reset Button. Nay, we smashed the Reset Button with one of those huge wooden mallets, Gallagher style. Although, that’s still not an apt description… Of the 25 players that finished the 2029 season with us, only 11 remain. The 11 that survived consists of 4 noodle armed relievers, 3 not-so-special outfielders, 2 backup infielders, and A Partridge in a Pear Tr….. nope, sorry, wrong tune. and 1 crummy catcher. There’s an above average SP in there somewhere as well. A handful of these guys won’t last much longer, as rumors are swirling that a couple may have new homes before much longer.

Replacing these guys is a motley crew; the near-future outlook does not appear to be very good. I think the “Bad News” label is a very accurate description of this new team, but hopefully it won’t stay that way for long. In the coming posts, I will try to chronicle the apocalypse, and give a view of the future.

The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming.

-Harvey Dent

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

In our first trade of the season, we sent OF Yannick Rounthwaite, SP Zai-shuo Lok and SS Felipe Camo to Thunder Bay for a bevy of players: Major leaguers 1b Octavio Gomez, 2B Manuel Antruz and SS Freddy Canalles; and prospects CL Kyung-suk Yo, 1B Don Duncan and C Hugo Urbaez. Our thoughts on this trade have already been discussed in further detail, so we will move on to our second deal, an agreement with the Maracaibo Jackals.

SP Dae-hwan Chon was flipped to Maracaibo for a couple of pitching prospects, MR Chris Kerfoot and SP Alberto Pacheco. Chon was a tough player to lose, as he was a guy in our system for a very long time. He took a couple of talent hits, but still put up good numbers at or near the top of our rotation. We got quantity over quality in return – Kerfoot is a 7.7.5 pitcher with two good pitches (8 fastball, 9 slider), but needs to work on his “2” change-up. He’s 19, so maybe that third pitch will grow. If not, he could still be a great reliever for us. Pacheco (23) is much closer to the show, a 6.5.5 out of 6.5.7 SP with 2 good pitches (8 fastball, 7 changeup) and an OK third one (4 slider). He has also shown great improvement over the years from the guy who was taken in the 10th round of the 2025 draft. Of course, neither player will be a top of rotation pitcher like Chon was, but I think Kerfoot and Pacheco can be great contributors, or could be trade bait for future deals.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

We continued shipping off major components of our roster, moving 3B Jose Olivares to the Roswell Invasion for one of their top prospects, OF Mikah Dolinsky. In the deal, we also proposed to take on 1B Julian Pineda and his salary. Pineda makes $10.1M this year, but it’s only for one year. Plus we were moving salaries anyway, not a big deal. The only problem with Dolinsky thus far is that he is somewhat injury prone. In two years, he has had three injuries that lasted over 2 weeks. But, he projects to be a good solid player (7.6.5.5.8) with good running abilities. He needs to work on that outfield defense though (4 rating in LF). But as a 19 year old, he will have plenty of time and opportunity to grow.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

Much like moving SP Lok, trading off SP Roque Aguilar was painful. The pair of pitchers had seen us through the ups and downs of the last 12 seasons. Aguilar was shipped off for Santiago de Cuba’s SP Pedro Lopez, a nearly ready 24 year old 7.7.5 starter with a decent assortment of pitches. That 4 stamina isn’t the greatest, but he has outstanding intangibles (high leadership, loyalty, intelligence and work ethic). He’s not a world beater, but he should be able to help right the ship and be a good arm in a rebuilding rotation.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

We loved dealing with Bonao so much, we made two deals with them this offseason. The particulars of each deal don’t matter so much – ultimately, we moved SP Rafael Recimos and 2b Hong-quan She for a handful of OK prospects. Recimos and She were two of the last players left on my block, and there hadn’t been a whole lot of interest, so I felt that getting something, anything, would be a win. That’s pretty much the category the return players fall into. None of the three will likely be major role players for us, but they could see time on the ML roster to some degree. The best player is probably 3B Harumi Morikawa – at first glance, he looks like he could be more than a ‘role player’, what with his 6.7.7.4.4 offense and 8 defensive rating at 3b. But, he’s already 24, and only 5.7.3.4.4. Maybe he will end up as a 6.7.5.4.4 rating, and be useful as an injury fill-in, or bench bat. The second piece we got was C Sergio Luez, a 6.6.4.6.5 backstop with 6 catcher rating, 8 arm and 7 catching ability. He’ll be behind Takahashi in the organization depth chart at catcher, but with his skill set, he will make a good backup catcher. MR Kelvim Hernandez was the last piece we got, a 7.4.7 southpaw reliever. He doesn’t do anything particularly well, but he has shown great improvement since being drafted in the 10th round in 2026. Maybe he keeps improving, maybe not, but more arms on the farm can’t hurt.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

We made two small 1-for-1 deals with Moca and San Lorenzo.

Moca was interested in a good lefty setup arm, and we fit their needs with MR Sung-keun Kim. Surprisingly (at least to me), there wasn’t a whole lot of serious interest in Kim. Several teams checked in, but moved on to other players. In return for Kim, MMD sent MR Tom Dale, a 6.5.8 above average arm. Interestingly enough, he was also a 10th round selection, from 2025.

In another deal centered around a quality relief arm, we flipped MR Eru Magaora to San Lorenzo for 3B Ren-qing Ma. Ma is a decent player that can play anywhere in the infield, although he looks like he will do best as a corner infielder. His offensive skill set isn’t anything to write home about (5.8.6.5.5), but it’s not bad either.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

This blog has the Bill Swerski

SEAL OF APPROVAL

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

We landed SP Jose Covalchuc at #6 this season (2030). I love the name. The 20 year old is from Panama, yet it’s strange – he apparently has Russian roots.

We are very high on Jose for obvious reasons. He was the best arm on the board after Acosta and Ramos. Standing in at 5’11” and 200 lb, he’s not the most intimidating presence on the mound. Complicating that issue is the fact that his velocity checks in at 89-90 mph; in addition, he has good, but not great stuff (6). However, that appears to be his only limitation. With an outstanding work ethic, we hope that he can work on his form, beginning in AA for the 2030 season. On the positive side, our scouts rave about his ability to keep the ball in the park and limit free passes to baserunners (7 movement, 8 control). He also keeps the ball on the ground (57%) and has the stamina to endure a heavy work load (9).

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

In rounds two and three, we picked up the Brothers M, RF Ximena Metelo and LF Bemabe Mendoza. Don’t break it to either of these guys, but we were hoping for different players with our two picks. There was some good talent on the board, but we had Metelo and Mendoza in our list because they are good players. So in that regard, we aren’t disappointed. But, with two players that man positions that don’t fall into the scarcity category (and, we have similar players on the farm and consider ourselves strong in LF/RF), it leaves a pretty bland taste in my mouth. Not bad, not good, just bland.

We plucked Metelo in the second round, at #14 overall. Ximena is a fantastic contact hitter (8) and sported a .527/.575/.925 line in high school, with a fair number of doubles (7 gap). His power and eye leave a little to be desired (6 for both), but if he can continue to place the ball where the fielders ain’t, he will be a fantastic contributor. In 93 at bats, he only struck out 3 times, so perhaps his K rating is a little conservative (8). Our scouts raved about his intangibles (v.high leadership, high work ethic), so we are hoping he can improve on his OF defense (6 in RF, 6 range, 6 errors), but his arm is not to be tested by baserunners (10).

Mendoza projects to be just a step below Metelo with ratings of 7.8.5.6.7. However, he comes in with a little more seasoning from facing college pitchers. So perhaps his .324/.392/.587 line won’t be far off of what we see in the minors. Bemabe’s academic peformance in college was very high, and he has shown a very high level of work ethic. On the field, Mendoza has learned the LF position well (8), has shown mobility and a good arm (8 for both). However, he has proven to be a little careless at times (4 error).

All in all, not a bad couple of picks, but it would have been nice if a couple other chips had fallen differently during the draft. That said, the Brothers M are good players and were in our list for a reason.

Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

looks like a pretty deep draft!

nice picks

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

You know… if you don’t want Metelo or Mendoza… uhh… you can dispose of them into my system…

Just trying to help. Cap_PDT_01_05

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

I’d trade my first round pick (Im) for your third round pick (Mendoza). That sucks. #KoreasPoolIsSoooooBadThisYearOMGKillMeNow

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

Moving along in the seemingly never ending series of trade summaries…

Incheon found a need for OF Francisco Ceron’s services, so we moved him for two promising youngsters, SP Alik Simmons and SP/MR Qui-li Lai. This may be the deal we are most excited about out of all the moves this offseason.

Simmons is [yet another] 10th round selection who has come a long way from his 3.4.4ish beginnings; he now checks in at 6.5.7 (and 6.5.4 currently as a 20 year old). This guy has to be one of the most imposing, overpowering pitchers in the minor leagues. The giant from Michigan stands in at 6’7″ and 255 lbs. He also has a good assortment of pitches to baffle hitters, including a mean 99 mph fastball. Even with all the development he’s achieved thus far, he still has the potential to grow even more, since he is nearly developed and only 20.

Lai rates as a 5.7.8 starter, or a 6.7.8 reliever. With three pitches, he has the potential to be a starter, but he needs to work on the changeup (1). He won’t get many guys out with his fastball (6, 90 mph), but the knuckle curve (8), 7 movement, 8 control and 59% GB rate could give hitters fits.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

The aforementioned Octavio Gomez and Freddie Canalles, obtained in the deal with Thunder Bay, barely had time to unpack their bags in Taegu.

Gomez was flipped to Tokorozawa for MR Abejundia Nunza and 2B Oro Carranza. I’m not setting my hopes too high for either of these guys, but they could contribute in the future. Carranza is a decent 6.8.4.4.7 potential with average defensive ratings across the infield (7, 3, 5, 3). Carranza was a late pick in 2025 (9th round), and has seen some growth. Despite his low eye rating (3 at the moment), he has shown good discretion at the plate (.379 OBP in 2029).

Nunza is an average talent, who will be tried out in the rotation in A ball (5.4.6 as a starter), due to histhree decent pitches, and 6 stamina. I’m not sure where he’ll end up, perhaps the bullpen a few years down the road, if he doesn’t grow into handling his role as a starter.

Canalles returned two fairly good arms in SP Barnett McCray and CL Oliverios Gutierrez. Funny enough, both have 7.5.6 ratings and have shown good improvement over the past couple of seasons. McCray could have a future in the Taegu rotation, and offers a good mix of pitches, including a nasty 9 rated slider. Gutierrez only has a couple of pitches and horrible stamina (1); I think he’s a borderline ML talent, a AAAA type.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

Can’t be too disappointed with our 2030 results (56-64). Despite blowing the team up after 2029, what I tried to do was field the best team I could with rental players, cast-offs and 1 year short term contracts. I wasn’t about to pack it in, it’s not in my nature. But at the same time, I didn’t want to commit to players from FA that would require 6 year deals and tons of money. Some time in the near future, but not now. I want to see what we can cultivate from the minors, then fill in the gaps with free agents.

Looking forward to 2031, we still have some work to do:

CATCHER – We’ll let starter Jorge Alvarez walk. He’s 34, and not worth committing to an extension. Backup Sun will likely stay. Highly rated prospect Shusaku Takahashi might get a shot next season. He’s already 26, and probably won’t benefit much more from facing AAA pitchers for a fifth year.
    On The Farm – Takahashi is our bright spot, so we’re rooting for him. We have a couple of lesser options, and they are further out.

FIRST BASE – Slugger Juliano Pineda likely won’t be back. He doesn’t want much to extend his contract, but it will require at least two more years and we may have a better option by then. Plus, his average output can probably be replaced easily. Unfortunately we don’t have any obvious options for 2031, so a free agent signing is most likely.
    On The Farm – Top 1B spect Don Duncan keeps growing, but is still a couple years away. ETA: second half 2032

SECOND BASEMotoyuki Yamada did OK, but he’s yet another veteran (36) that doesn’t deserve a long extension. Oro Carranza is a decent in-house option who will get a chance to prove himself in 2031 after a solid performance at AAA this year. His ceiling is limited, but if he provides decent production, he will be a cheap option until a better option presents itself.
    On The Farm – If Carranza doesn’t pan out, Claudio Paculba is our next best hope – he should provide moderate ability at the plate, but will mostly shine on the basepaths. ETA: 2032

THIRD BASE – Strong side platoonmate Travis Dungey was a nice stopgap to get us through 2030, but at 38, isn’t a good option for us going forward. Backup Sendral will probably keep his spot on the roster. AAA 3B Harumi Morikawa has decent potential, but may not be quite ready. We’ll evaluate free agency for another stopgap, most likely.
    On The FarmJesus Pachco is our crown jewel, according to BNN. He has grown into a great prospect, a guy you can build a roster around. Good speed, good defense, great potential at the plate, but still a ways off. ETA: second half 2032

SHORTSTOPPedro Tizon will return by default, as he is under contract through 2032.
    On The FarmAlejandro Abalos is the only thing we have at shortstop, sadly. But at least he can be a defensive presence. ETA: second half 2031

LEFT FIELD – The platoon of Cervantes and Pacheco worked out well. Cervantes didn’t meet the plate appearances to make his option vest. Pacheco still has a year left, so he’ll be back. Another lefty bat from free agency, much like Cervantes, would be great. We don’t have any players busting down the door in AAA, unfortunately.
    On The FarmBemabe Mendoza jumped to AA after being drafted this year, but didn’t prove himself. ETA: 2032
    Mikah Dolinsky is a promising outfielder (if he can stay healthy), but is several years away. ETA: 2034

CENTER FIELDNobu Hayashi has been our rock. His defense has slipped some, but not terribly. Should find himself in center in 2031, barring any unforeseen circumstances. However, AAA Sequerra will displace him in center once he arrives…
    On The FarmUlises Sequerra was fast-tracking to the ML roster before getting hurt this year. Maybe he was hiding an injury, because he wasn’t handling AAA too well. ETA: second half 2031

RIGHT FIELD – Waiver claim Whitey Hyde really didn’t work out that well. He’s got good potential, but he doesn’t put much effort into making good on it. Our team option will not be exercised, and we’ll be looking at a stop-gap due to pressure from AAA RF Rodriguez…
    On The FarmTomas Rodriguez is close. ETA: 2032
    Teenager Ximena Metelo is alot farther behind, but has definite promise. ETA: 2035

QUICK PROJECTED ROSTER RUNDOWN, 2031:
    C: Takahashi
    1B: open
    2B: Carranza*
    3B: Morikawa*
    SS: Tizon
    LF: Pacheco/open (platoon)
    CF: Hayashi
    RF: open
    * 2B and 3B may also be open if these youngsters don’t seize the opportunity

This is a very weak looking lineup, so 2031 looks like a lost cause already. Tizon and Hayashi are the only returning full time starters. However, given the above ETAs, 2032 could be the start of a very good lineup for us.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

A quick estimate of our finances tells me that we might have around $50M to invest in 2031. Not that we have to spend it, we were well under budget for 2030.

NEXT: a rundown of the pitching outlook for 2031.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

I’m pretty pleased with the 2030 pitching staff. However, it could get ALOT better.

From the rotation, Gary Haydon and Wang Yi will definitely return after posting good numbers for us. Plus, Haydon signed a four year, $12M extension this year after three seasons of very solid production. And Yi is signed for one more year.

After them, things get a little hazy. SP3 Travis Halle put up fantastic numbers, and might get Rookie of the Year considerations; but as a 7.4.6 pitcher, it remains to be seen if that can continue.

Former highly rated prospect Ai-de Fang got a substantial number of starts, but only put up mediocre rate stats (at best) and finished with a 3-13 record.

The second half of the season saw Adrian Perez move straight from the AAA bullpen to the ML rotation; he performed wonderfully, but I think it may have been over his head. With plenty of options, I don’t see us bringing him back on an ML deal.

We called up three pitchers from AAA for September cups of coffee:
    SP Pedro Lopez showed extremely good promise in the AAA rotation after coming over from Santiago de Cuba. He didn’t let us down after being called up either, so he has a leg up for a rotation spot in 2031.
    SP Esteban Pineda is a bottom of rotation candidate, but might need some seasoning in the pen before an extended stay in the rotation.
    MR Mario Tiburcio is a good relief prospect, who has faced AAA hitters for four years. He did quite well in 16 appearances, so he’s probably here to stay.

In the bullpen, old stand-by Hyeok Su continued to add to his legendary resume. What’s really amazing is that he has dropped in talent since 2028 (stuff from 10 to 4, movement from 9 to 7), but was still able to shine in the closer role. In the same time frame, his K/9 has dropped from around 9 to just over 4. Even so, he put up a 1.86 ERA, a 0.95 WHIP, 0.223 OAVG and closed out 33 games, which should put him in the discussion for Closer of the Year. He signed an extension to stay in Taegu for 3 more years, and we’ll give him a shot to continue on as one of the great WBH closers.

The rest of the pen looks like it will experience some turnover. With Halle, Lopez, Pineda and Fang fighting for rotation spots 3-5, one will end up as a reliever. Rob Muir will be back for his eighth season as a Black Bear. Aforementioned Tiburcio could wind up as a setup man. Rookie Francisco Leyro will be back by default, hopefully building on his numbers from 2030. And 27-year old Javier Peon should return as well, and we’ll be rooting for him to move out of the mop-up role. He’s on the verge of filling out his potential, and better production should come along with that. If my math adds up, I believe that leaves two bullpen spots left to fill for 2031.

On The Farm (AAA only):
    SP spect Carl Dehaastings looks like a safe bet at this point, but he needs to work on his control some more. ETA: 2032
    SP Alberto Pacheco is a mid-to-bottom of rotation, though solid looking pitcher. Doesn’t seem ready for the show just yet ETA: 2032
    MR Diego Mendoza has a good looking arm, but need more time in AAA. ETA: 2032
    MR Daniel Souza is a former first round pick, but he refuses to work on his control (stuck at 5 for three years, then ended up as a 6 at the end of this year). At 26, I’m not sure though that facing AAA batters will challenge him any more. ETA: 2031
    Closer prospect Kyung-suk Yo “The Gypsy” looks like the heir apparent to Su, but like most others, needs to refine that control. ETA: 2033

QUICK PITCHING STAFF RUNDOWN:
    SP1: Haydon
    SP2: Yi
    SP3-SP5: top 3 out of Halle/Fang/Lopez/Pineda

CL: Su
    SU: Muir
    SU: Tiburcio
    MR: Souza
    MR: Leyro
    MR: Peon
    MR: 1 of Halle/Fang/Lopez/Pineda

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

In the first round of the 2031 draft (pick #4), we landed 2b Ruben Marulnda. There are quite a few things we can pick on Ruben about, such as his lack of power (3). Against high school competition, he still only managed 1 home run in 2031. He may grow some more over the next few years, but with his current 5’9″, 165 lb frame, it just does not look like he will never become a slugger. In addition, our scouts did not rave about his defense, scoring him a 3 overall at second – he displayed moderate range and double play abilities (6), but was prone to errors (5) and in general was not very sharp on his throws (3).

His age is a double-edged sword – on one side, Ruben is very raw having faced only high school level competition. However, since he is 17, there is no pressure on him to reach the big leagues for a long time, and in that time he will have years of instruction and opportunity to develop. Some of Ruben’s most attractive traits were his loyalty, intelligence and work ethic, traits that should push him to be a better player and stay committed to the Taegu organization.

Saving the best for last, Marulnda’s offensive capabilities are very exciting. Other than his power, he has no other weaknesses to speak of at the plate. By our estimation, he can take pitches and work a count better than any other prospect in the pool (8 eye, 8 K). In addition, Ruben makes solid contact on pitches (8), and can place hits in the gaps with little effort (9). He needs some work stealing bases (4), but has the overall speed (7) to not be a liability while in motion.

We’re very excited about the Panamanian, but we will need to be patient and work with him. If all parties are successful, he could be a major component in a ML lineup, most likely setting the table.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

The second and third rounds treated us pretty well, and we landed (if I recall correctly), our second and fourth rated players.

Continuing with our infatuation with pitching, we went with one of the best remaining arms in the pool, one Walton Caldwell. Caldwell has similar talent to alot of the second-round pitchers throughout the Hierarchy, with 6.6.7 ratings as a starter, and three pretty good pitches: Fastball, Slider, Changeup (6,8,8). Like Barulnda before him, Caldwell is a very raw 17 y/o, and we hope his dominance from high school carries over to Single-A. We are excited about his 10 stamina, and high Intelligence and Work Ethic.

Our third round pick was a decent pitcher disguising himself as a shortstop, Mr. Clove Martinez. The html report shows his offensive ratings, and I’m at work without OOTP, unable to remember his ratings; but if memory serves, he checks in as a 6.6.6 starter and 7.6.6 reliever.

Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

@Taegu (VEN) wrote:

but if memory serves, he checks in as a 7.6.6 starter and 6.6.6 reliever.

or possibly the other way around? I’ve never seen a guy who gets more stuff as a starter.
    (I’m at work too, so I can’t check)

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

@Toluca (JPN) wrote:

@Taegu (VEN) wrote:

but if memory serves, he checks in as a 7.6.6 starter and 6.6.6 reliever.

or possibly the other way around? I’ve never seen a guy who gets more stuff as a starter.
    (I’m at work too, so I can’t check)

You are right – my mind was transitioning from lala-land into work mode, and that slipped.

I wished that was the case (more stuff as starter) – it would be neat for the game to generate a very small handful of those guys periodically. Everything points to pitchers having more “stuff” in a relief role, but every so often a pitcher comes along who has more success as a starter, for no apparent reasons.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

The rest of the 2031 draft saw us draft an inordinate number of pitchers, despite (what I felt like) was a good mix of hitters and pitchers in our draft list:

4. SP Jose Barrera – 5.5.7 with 3 mediocre pitches, 4 stamina. Pretty well developed at 4.5.4.
    5. SP Luis Ferreira – 6.5.7 with 2 good pitches and one poor one; low stamina (4)
    6. SP Braulio Casarubias – 3.7.7, 3 pitches, good GB 62%, good 7 stamina
    7. SP Manny Bergara – 8.4.5, 8 fastball, 10 curveball, 2 changeup. 9 stamina. looks like a real steal for a 7th rd pick
    8. 3B Juan Cruz – 4.7.3.4.3. poor hitter, good defensive ratings. won’t see the light of day without a lot of work
    9. SP Carlos Santos – 5.5.5, 8 stamina. 6 cutter, 6 curveball, 1 changeup. not bad for a 9th rd pick
    10. C Yong-u Ok – utter trash. 4.5.1.1.4.

The pitchers we got will be good additions, and I think we came away with some real steals, but I wish we could have gotten comparable hitters.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

Just noticed we posted back to back 56-64 seasons. Not too bad for total tear-down rebuilding mode. Of course, it has killed me that we’ve been so futile for two straight seasons, but I still feel we made the right decision.

Our 2031 roster was almost completely different than our 2030 roster, with different players at the 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 (mostly) and 9, and 5 different primary pitchers. I am expecting nearly the same turnover going into 2032, but from there on out, the players and fans will hopefully be able to grow accustomed to familiar faces.

CATCHERTakahashi did OK in his rookie year. Hopefully he will continue to grow.
    On The FarmLuez, Urbaez and Castro represent the best options on our farm, so we’ve got all our eggs in Takahashi’s basket.

FIRST BASEValdez was a decent one year stopgap. We don’t have any current options, so we need to do some work here.
    On The FarmDon Duncan remains our best 1B in the organization, but it doesn’t look like he’ll get his cup of tea in 2032 without some help from the OOTP gods in the offseason. ETA: 2033

SECOND BASE – Rookie Oro Carranza didn’t do all that well with his chance at a starting role. He’ll probably do best in a utility role, and without an obvious better choice, we’ll need to look for another option.
    On The FarmCenon Morones has emerged as the next guy to get a shot, but he also looks like a UT. ETA: 2032
    Top pick Marulnda looks like a stud, but he’s way to raw and won’t be around for quite some time. ETA: 2036

THIRD BASE – Rookie Morikawa was pretty average overall, posting low offensive numbers but a good defense. Waiver claim Gauthier has the inside edge for a starting role for 2032.
    On The Farm – Top prospect Jesus Pachco (and #13 Japan spect) is close. ETA: 2033

SHORTSTOPTizon picked up his player option and will return for 2032. But after him, it’s looking woeful.
    On The Farm – Not much. Ti-an Fung and Alejandro Abalos are the only thing to speak of. Even if you combine the two, you’re not even left with a decent player.

LEFT FIELD – Trade pickup Henry Strong got hurt, and his skills are in decline. We had the discretionary cash to void the remainder of his contract. The position was turned over to Cristo Iniga a perennial underachiever who finally made good; but I’m not confident in him and the position remains an open competition.
    On The FarmBemabe Mendoza is the top LF in the system. ETA: 2033
    Dolinsky isn’t very far behind, but needs to find a way to stay healthy ETA: 2034

CENTER FIELD – It’s never easy to move on from a player that has held down a position for 11 years. However, it’s not every day you get to do that with an exciting young player. In this case, Ulises Sequerra will be taking over CF duties from Hayashi, who has been a CF stalwart in Taegu since 2021. Hayashi will still get regular at bats across the outfield, and may even stick at one of the corners.
    On The Farm – Sequerra should hold things down for a long time, but Rocha will be next in line.

RIGHT FIELD – Free agent pickup Miguel Ramiz turned out a career year, but we don’t expect that to continue, and we’ll attempt to find an upgrade.
    On The Farm – We have a couple of players on the radar – Ximena Metelo and Tomas Rodriguez. Rodriguez is 24 and in AAA with very little development left. ETA: late 2032.
    Metelo is 19 and just cracked AA late in 2031. ETA: 2034

PROJECTED ROSTER:
    C: Takahashi, Ramos
    1B: TBD
    2B: Carranza/Morones
    3B: Gauthier/Morikawa
    SS: Tizon
    LF: TBD/Hayashi
    CF: Sequerra
    RF: Ramiz/Hayashi

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

We’ve discussed our first round pick in the Venezuela thread, where we established how excited we are that Park is a Black Bear. I hope he can hang on to his ratings.

We are also pretty jazzed over our second round selection as well, Mr. Angel Durango. And it’s a pretty funny story. When we first browsed the pool, I saw Durango as a significant player of interest, only overshadowed by a handful of players. But, with our top prospect being a very similar player, we decided to completely pass on him and didn’t put him in the draft list. Obviously, we only needed two players in the first round draft list, but I was sure someone would scoop him up in the first round. But when he wasn’t, I put him at the top of our list for Round 2, even thinking Mexico City would take him. I really liked Durango before the draft, but it didn’t really register until after we selected him that he was so versatile a player. He only rates a 4 at shortstop, but his other defensive parameters make him a good fit for the position. We are hoping that will improve, and if it does, we’ll have a studly SS to hang our hat on: 7.8.7.3.6 with good running skills (7.9.7) is nothing to scoff at.

In the third round, we ended up with SS Nemesio Borrogo. Had we known Durango would be our pick AND had we realized his SS potential, I would have gone a different direction. But all you can do is submit a list and go with what you get. Which in this case is a pretty good SS prospect. The main downfall is that both Durango and Borrogo are both 20 and have similar current abilities. I can’t play both at SS at the same time in A-ball. But, having too many SS is a good problem to have. Statistically, one (or neither) of these guys will make it to the show. But if Borrogo does, one could expect him to be a starter, with the potential to leadoff against southpaws, and hit at the bottom of the order against RHP (6.5.3.6.8). He can play across the infield (5, 3, 6, 6) and has decent defensive ratings (8.7.6.4). And with 37 steals, he can really fly (8, 10, 10).

I really hope the picks we’ve made so far pan out. I was looking back over past drafts, and historically, I am not a good evaluator of talent, and it seems that I trade off the players that do develop. But we’ve really hit the nail on the head for getting good players in this draft, and the players that we did get really fit our organizational needs (Park = stud offensive player, Borrogo, Durango = shortstop).

Onward.

Mexico City DOM 
    Spectator

@Taegu (VEN) wrote:

But when he wasn’t, I put him at the top of our list for Round 2, even thinking Mexico City would take him. I really liked Durango before the draft, but it didn’t really register until after we selected him that he was so versatile a player.

Even funnier – we had made our initial list and up-loaded, then went back and tweaked it – moving Durango to the top of the second round, except we were working on the first round list and forgot to copy it to all rounds… 😳 Had we taken Durango, who’d you have taken in the second?

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

@Mexico City (VEN) wrote:

Had we taken Durango, who’d you have taken in the second?

I’m pretty sure it would have been CL Tagavilla, he was second on my list, then it may have been SP Verala.

nice job on 3B Rivera in Round 4. I went back and forth with him and Aulet, having them both at #1 in my Round 4 list at one point.

I’m gonna stick this here to comment on later at work if I have the time:
    4: 1B António Aulet
    5: SP Diego Calerera
    6: SP Ermanno DiGrande
    7: SP Júlio Hernández
    8: 2B J.C. Cespedes
    9: SP Ki-heung So
    10: SP Alberto Hinojosa

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

The remainder of the draft for us:

Round 4: 1b Antonio Aulet was our second choice at the top of the round, but we are still excited about him. We lack left handed hitters in our system. He doesn’t look like a stud (6.6.7.6.4), but if he gained even a point or two to this talent, he could end up being very useful. We typically shy away from 1b in the draft, but thought he’d be a good fit for us. Hopefully he can improve on that 3 defense at first.

Round 5: SP Diego Calarera looks like more of a relief prospect (5.7.6, 8 stamina with three pitches), but we’ll likely let him start to see if he can improve his 1 rated changeup. He’s got High Intelligence and Work Ethic ratings, so maybe the chances are good that he’ll get better. He doesn’t throw hard (84-86 mph), but this big Mexican 17 year old already has a big frame to learn to harness some power.

Round 6: Venezuelan 18 year old Ermanno DiGrande was drafted as a 5.4.8 SP, but gets a bump to 6.4.8 as a MR, where he might be able to be more effective. This may fit better with his 5 stamina as well. Like Calarera, he doesn’t throw hard (87-89 mph). Looks like the pitching coaches have their hands full in Single A.

Round 7: SP Julio Hernandez is another big product from Mexico (6’3, 225). He looks like a project arm who need to work on striking out batters (4 stuff) and limiting long balls (4 movement). However, he displays great control (8). We were hoping for a bump with a bullpen assignment (4 stamina), but that’s not the case, maybe because he throws many types of pitches (5 fastball, 4 slider, 3 changeup, 2 screwball, 4 forkball).

Round 8: J.C. Cespedes – I like the name, but he’ll need more than that to get him to the majors (5.7.1.3.4). Already 22, that’s not likely to happen. Looks like a career minor leaguer.

Round 9: SP Ki-heung So
    Round 10: SP Alberto Hinijosa
    Won’t waste much time on these guys, other than to say they are very similar – 4.4.4 southpaws that toss it in the 80s. It looks like they are on the very fringes of our organizational talent, and are on the verge of being free agents if we need to make cuts.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

Two charts to show how up-and-down and erratic 2032 has been for us thus far:

This first is a plot of the total number of particular outcomes for each sim (i.e. four 4-2 results, no 6-0 results, etc.).

The second is a plot of those results in chronological order. 4 means a “4-2” sim result, etc.

I think these will auto-update as I keep track of sim results. It’ll be interesting to track.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

2033 Round 1, Pick 1 (#3 Overall)

SP Alfredo Dolit – With 9 ratings in Stuff and Control, Alfredo might be one of the best potential K:BB pitchers in the league. However, with 6 in Movement and a 51% GB, he may be somewhat HR prone. We typically field good outfield defenses, so the fly balls shouldn’t be too much of an issue. He offers four great pitches: fastball (8), and slider, curveball and changeup (all 9). We also like his character, with High Loyalty, Intelligence and Work Ethic, and Low Greed. Also, he’s 20 but pretty well developed (4.5.3). All in all, Dolit is a top shelf pitcher and we are very excited about having him in the organization.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

So I found Fordian HQ. Would’ve expected something nicer for a top tier team.

[attachment=0:5wwgs1yj]IMG_20131024_111326_968a.jpg[/attachment:5wwgs1yj]

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

2035. A fun year.

The players had fun as well, making their mark in the annals of Taegu history. Most particularly between top starters Angel Torrente and Heraclio Silva, who perhaps were driven by a competitive spirit trying to best the other pitcher.

ERA – Torrente takes the top spot in the TAE history book with a 2.62. Silva takes the fifth spot in the list with a 2.80.

Wins – Torrente set the new mark last year (2034) with 15 wins. He topped that again this year with 16. Not to be outdone, Silva posted 18 wins. So in one season, two pitchers beat out the former record.

Win % – Not surprisingly, with so many wins, Torrente and Silva posted top two finishes in Win%. Torrente smashed the previous record of .786, with a .889 (16 wins and 2 losses).

Complete Games – Not the most sexy of stats, but Jose Covalchuc (who is rookie eligible!) finished 4 games on his own. He immediately jumps into fifth place with 4 total CG. Four other previous pitchers are tied atop the TAE CG board with 5, so he nearly cleared the entire hurdle in one season!!

Walks per 9 – Covalchuc and Ramon Balinbin tied the all-time mark of 1.3.

Strikeouts – Torrente and Silva have l i t e r a l l y rewritten the Single Season list in the past three years. Torrente sits at #1 (2034, 176), #3 (2033, 174) and #4 (2035, 171). Silva is #2 (2035, 175) and #5 (2034, 162).

Strikeouts per 9 – Again, not surprising, but the pair of Torrente and Silva sit at the top of the Single Season K/9 list, respectively, with 9.7 and 9.6.

Strikeouts per Walk – Silva obliterated the previous record to stand on top of the K/BB heap (finishing with a 6.48, previous record was 4.90). Torrente powered his way to #3 with a 5.18. But Covalchuc did it the hard way – he didn’t finish with a lot of K’s (100), but he just decided he’d never issue any free passes (only 19) for a K/BB of 5.26, good for #2 on the single season list.

WHIP – One of my favorite stats on the year, Silva tied a 25-year old mark with a 0.96 WHIP. Torrente didn’t do too shabby himself with a 0.97. Covalchuc made it in as well at #5 (1.02 WHIP).

Final lines for the Rotation

Angel Torrente – 16-2 // 2.62 ERA // 171 K // 33 BB // 0.97 WHIP // 39.7 VORP // 5.3 WAR
    Heraclio Silva – 18-4 // 2.80 ERA // 175 K // 27 BB // 0.96 WHIP // 37.7 VORP // 5.3 WAR
    Ramon Balinbin – 12-5 // 3.44 ERA // 79 K // 22 BB // 1.14 WHIP // 23.9 VORP // 3.3 WAR
    Jose Covalchuc – 10-4 // 3.37 ERA // 100 K // 19 BB // 1.02 WHIP // 21.6 VORP // 2.5 WAR

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

Perhaps what gets me giddy the most is having the top prospect in VEN, SP Alfredo Dolit nearly ML ready. He’s a 7.7.7 out of 9.7.9.

If he can join 9.7.7 Torrente and 9.7.7 Silva next year, it would be a truly dominant rotation. Then having a 5.7.9 Balinbin and 7.6.7 Simmons to round out the staff – it could vie for one of the best ever I think.

Of course I’m really tempting fate by mentioning any of this. lol

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

Picking 7th sucks. I got tired of picking so late a number of years ago, and then got spoiled by picking high during my rebuild.

Twas fun while it lasted. Eh, on to our First round pick in 2036, starter Stu van Horn. Based on his primary ratings, he’s probably a just league-average player (7 stuff, 5 movement, and 6 control). I don’t think there were any better options based on what was available at #1.7. And, there are some things that raise his grade a bit in my opinion. At only 19 years old, he can throw 92-94 mph. He throws a plus fastball (7), and plus-plus slider and circle change (8 and 9). But being a 19 year old, he is pretty raw.

Also, as I was writing this, I noticed this:
    “BNN has scouted the class and thinks these ten players are the best available this year:

1. Stu van Horn, 19 year-old starting pitcher out of high-school.”

so there’s that. Cap_PDT_01_10

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

2036 Round 2, Pick 7:
    SP GUSTAVO RAMIREZ – yuck. To think it only gets worse from here. With Ramirez, we take our second starter prospect in as many picks. Gustavo grades out as below average (5.6.6 potential). Like van Horn, he is still a teenager and very raw, but there are some things that give him a sliver of hope. First of all, he was dominant in high school, and he has a very high work ethic. He has the frame and a decent amount of stamina (7). He only has three pitches, which might be fine for some pitchers who throw three pitches well. Unfortunately, his repertoire is pretty poor: 4 fastball, 4 cutter and 7 changeup.

2036 Round 3, Pick 7
    When you see 3B JORGE “THE MOUSE” GONZALEZ, you see how he got his name. He’s fairly diminutive at only 5’10” and 175 lbs. Or maybe OOTP is teasing me over how poor of a hitter he is and it’s a statement of his abilities. With a poor offensive potential of 4.5.5.4.4, he seems to be destined for a career in the minor leagues. And he doesn’t even look to add value defensively either, with a 3 rating at 1B and a 4 at 3B. He did well against high school competition at least. Lots of improvement needed here, and sadly, we’re only in the third round.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOIN US

If you would like to join, send us a message with a little bit about you and your OOTP history.

Sending

©2019 World Baseball Hierarchy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar