2043 Draft

This topic contains 69 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Vancouver (CUB) 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
     Xi’an Kylin 
    Participant

Regarding Marc’s draft news (email below):

Hi everyone:

So, I’ll just tell you what’s going on. I am not yet sure how to proceed.

The game didn’t generate news articles about a new draft pool on the date it is supposed to (20 days before the draft). I simmed ahead to draft day, hoping the pool would be generated on February 27 in-game. There is a draft pool, which I can see if I go to “Continue draft” on the draft day screen.

The problem is: the Draft Pool link is greyed out from the GM point of view, meaning there is no way for GMs to set up a draft list. It’s as if the draft is no longer under our control…

So, I have posted on the OOTP forums to see if anyone has come across this, and has a solution. I will wait a couple of days to see if anyone responds helpfully. (Also, I welcome any assistance from any of you, if you have encountered this problem before).

IF WE CANNOT SOLVE THIS PROBLEM, here are our options, as I see them:

1. Proceed and let the AI handle the draft. (downside: no control for GMs over who they get)

2. Handle the draft manually, meaning GMs would submit their picks to a forum on the site, for example, and I would process them manually. (downside: I can see this taking 1-2 weeks of real-world time, because I would need to spread out my simming time over several days. I cannot sit here for 8 hours a day working on running a fake baseball sim).

3. I can back up to February 20 in-game and attempt to move forward again (downside: no guarantee the same thing won’t happen again, GMs would need to redo free agent offers and any signings in the last sim would be undone).

All of those options suck, but it is what it is.

If you have comments please start a thread on the forum instead of replying to me directly.

Cheers,
    Marc

IF this CANNOT be fixed, if possible on Marc’s end, I would advocate that the draft be handled manually on the forum – at least for the first 4 rounds. I recall that this was done long ago and went fairly smoothly. Each team would be responsible to post their pick in a pre-agreed upon of time during day time hours. The downfall would be if GMs do not or cannot check the forum frequently… I would hate to let AI draft for me (although they may do a better job given my recent history).

Mike Topham 
    Participant

I bet this is related to the whole GM/manager feature, and some hidden gem of a bug…

In an ideal world, I would also vote for a manual forum-based draft, but my fear is that forum participation isn’t very high and that would unfairly give an advantage to people with flexible schedules that use the forum.

That said, I think we should just AI-auto this draft to keep on schedule and hope this bug gets fixed next season. That way everyone is equally disadvantaged.

wbhcommish 
    Keymaster

Posting here that both Bob and Andrew emailed me with similar ideas: Manually process the first X rounds, and let the AI go after that. Bob said 2, Andrew said 3, and above Brad says 4.

That’s probably a reasonable solution.

I have never seen this happen before in my 20ish seasons of simming, and this is not our first season on OOTP 16, so it can’t be blamed solely on the new version…I have a mild concern something could be wrong with the file, but everything else seems to check out OK.

Tocumen 
    Participant

how disappointing! The draft is one of my favorite parts of the season! I wonder if it’s possible to post the draft pools via the BNN reports, and then have the managers submit their round rankings for manual completion?
    This is course is only fair if we get enough participation.

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

What about StatsLab or OOTPOU?

Bob – Santiago de Cuba 
    Participant

Here’s my idea: Assuming that we can’t see the draft pools, Marc can take a screen shot and post them. Everybody can submit their first two rounds of selections and then somebody, probably Marc, can go through them and assign drafted players accordingly. Anybody who doesn’t submit a list gets autopicked like normal.

It certainly isn’t perfect but it’s way better than an AI draft.

Mike N 
    Participant

Yes, this sounds like a great idea – the first few rounds done manually. I love drafting and watching players develop.

My concern with a screenshot of the players available would be that I use a lot of different information to figure out who to pick. (Like college/HS stats, etc.) Would we be able to see all of that? And their BNN page?

Tocumen 
    Participant

Are we holding off the next sim while we look for a solution?

Mao 
    Participant

I like the idea of manually picking the first 3-4 rounds. Most players outside of the first 4 rounds are fodder. It seems like we have had some solid ideas on how to do the manual draft.

Gordon Maclean 
    Participant

Have to say that a manual round 1 and 2 would reduce the simming effort to some degree. Third round and later is a crap shoot anyways and the talent is very thin by then. Auto run 3-10.

Gordon

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

If there is a screen shot(s) of the draft pool are available, how about using StatsLab or OOTPOU for performing the draft? At least, that preserves the sanctity of doing a draft and put it on a timer for those that want to pick. You also have the opportunity to put in a pre draft list. I don’t know how it would work in a multi league deal.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  Thunder Bay.
     Tokorozawa DOM 
    Spectator

I’ll make a motion that we manually draft rounds 1-3 based on screen shots that Marc provides of the players potential ratings only. This saves Marc time in only having to do screenshots of the potential ratings.

I will volunteer to put the draft lists together so that all Marc has to do when he goes to sim is read off the list, not figure out who gets who.

If Marc pulls together what we need on his end and gives us a deadline, I will make sure I get the lists for each league compiled and to him for when he needs to input the draft.

Mao 
    Participant

I’ll second this motion.

wbhcommish 
    Keymaster

Robert, if you confirm here, I’m going to announce to everyone that you can take draft lists (I think PM on the site here would be the best place to receive them.)

If you can collate them by league, then I can manually process 2 or 3 rounds of the draft on Thursday evening (I’ll be traveling Wednesday), and get us back on track.

There is a way we can all see the lists in-game. Rick pointed it out to me on Saturday. So I won’t need to send out lists specially.

One note to respond to Will: the StatsLab idea is a good one. We’ve tried it in the past and it didn’t work for multiple leagues (in various ways). This time through, we’ll proceed manually, because I won’t have time this week to evaluate StatsLab. Maybe it’s a tool we can use somehow in the future, if they’ve upgraded it from when I looked at it years ago.

Tokorozawa DOM 
    Spectator

Sounds good to me. If everyone can get their lists to me by 7am EST on Thursday morning I can compile and have them to Marc for Thursday evening.

So there is a way to see the draft pools in game? What is that way? I can’t find them.

I wasn’t able to find players available for the draft either.

In the PEBA, we used StatsLab to conduct the draft every year. We conducted the draft live. But it was good that people could enter their draft list ahead of time when they were not able to make the live draft. There were occasional problems with the chat room and or StatsLab having trouble. For the most part, the tool worked reasonably well for conducting the draft. If we are not able to make drafts in game, this tool definitely deserves a look and/or another try.

Mao 
    Participant

If Marc or Rick could post how to see the draft pools in game that would be great. Or if anyone else knows how.

Tocumen 
    Participant

Any update on this?

wbhcommish 
    Keymaster

——
    DRAFT SOLUTION

Here’s what we will do for the draft. Robert (Tokorozawa) is going to collect draft lists of up to 24 players. He will organize them by league and give them to me.

Please get your list to him by THURSDAY, 5:00 PM EST.

On Thursday night, Friday, or Saturday, I will manually process the first three rounds of the draft for each league. The remaining rounds will be automated.

I will sim up to Spring Training, so in-game, make sure you export with your ongoing free agent offers and team changes!

HOW TO GIVE LIST TO ROBERT

Go to his user page on the site and send it to his inbox via “Private Message”:

http://worldbaseballhierarchy.com/members/tokorozawa-dom/

WHAT YOUR LIST SHOULD LOOK LIKE

1. 2B Player Name
    2. RF Player Name
    3. SP Player Name

Number the list, include the position, and then the player’s name.

HOW TO SEE THE DRAFT POOL TO MAKE YOUR LIST

Click on your league abbreviation at the top, then:

League Info -> League Reports Home

Open the report “BNN Home”

On that page, there are two links:

Rookie Draft Pool B.
    Rookie Draft Pool P.

Those are your available players, both batters and pitchers.

(Presumably this will also go up with the reports when those get updated, probably tomorrow.)

Tokorozawa DOM 
    Spectator

Please ensure all lists have 24 players. It is impossible to make a league draft list with random autopicks in the middle since I don’t know who the AI would draft for you.

If I get incomplete lists, players will be inserted that did not appear on any other lists that I do receive, meaning you won’t like who you get.

I guess I have to also do this for teams that do not submit lists?

Regarding the instructions, I do not see a “BNN Home” report on the “League Reports Home”. But I can see the “Rookie Draft Pool B” and “P” directly from the “League Reports Home”. Just clearing up any potential confusion if others see the same thing I see.

No wait. There is a problem. I can only see 2 batters and 5 pitchers from those links. This is not even enough players to get through the first round.

I am not sure I understand the need to rush with a deadline in 48 hours in the midst of potential problems and confusion. It is critical for a successful and fair draft, that all human GMs have reasonable access to the draft pool in advance. 🙁

I motion that we not set a deadline for draft lists to be submitted, until after we have confirmation by all human owners that the draft pool is available to them. Please?

Pretty please with sugar on it?

Alan Hounsell 
      Participant

I agree with James, a 48hr deadline is a bit rushed, lets make it a week.

I believe the gains or benefits in moving forward in a quick or hurried fashion would never overcome the grief of many human GMs having been prevented a fair shot during this draft.

I, personally, would not want to have even a slight advantage over another league member, simply because he was not able to participate in this draft consistent with his willingness, desire, and determination. If a fellow league member were disadvantaged in this manner, through no fault or negligence on his own part, I would be greatly disappointed.

In my awareness, I have had no indication that any more than 1 person has been able to successfully access their draft pool. This seems to be a huge problem with only 48 hours until the draft list deadline.

Tocumen 
    Participant

I’ve accessed the pool, and I’ll have the list ready for Thursday.

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

Even though the reports have yet to be posted online. They are available in game in your own reports. You can extract that them.

HOW TO SEE THE DRAFT POOL TO MAKE YOUR LIST

Click on your league abbreviation at the top, then:

League Info -> League Reports Home

Open the report “BNN Home”

On that page, there are two links:

Rookie Draft Pool B.
    Rookie Draft Pool P.

Those are your available players, both batters and pitchers.

The reports are online. They were this morning.

USA Batters – http://worldbaseballhierarchy.com/lgreports/news/html/leagues/league_100_rookie_draft_pool_batter_report.html

USA Pitchers – http://worldbaseballhierarchy.com/lgreports/news/html/leagues/league_100_rookie_draft_pool_pitcher_report.html

As Marc said, just go to your league reports and click the Rookie Draft Pool links on the upper right

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

USA must have gotten the preferential rub as the KOR only has the Rookie Batters pool. The pitchers reports were back from 2041. I can’t speak for the rest of the WBH Universe.

No worries. I already extracted the pool in game and submitted my list. Locked and loaded.

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

They must have been updated in the last hour or so. Thanks. Glad for the rest of KOR.

If anyone is seeing incomplete (or really small) draft pools, try updating in game. I saw the same thing last night, wrote a big complaint about it, posted it…then bothered to see if there was a new file. There was, and I realized the pools were out, so I went back and deleted my post.

Also, I don’t think everyone needs to send a 24 man list. The person who picks 8th in the round needs 24, but the 7th person only needs 23, 6th needs 22, and so on. I sent in the posted draft order for my league along with my list because the in-game draft order is not correct.

wbhcommish 
    Keymaster

Hi there…to Robert (and everyone).

Just give Robert your lists…24 players, max. You don’t need to put 24 if you don’t want to, or if you’re picking earlier. That’s just me making sure everyone has enough.

Robert: I’ve sent you a PM as well, but so everyone knows: I don’t need you to create a master list to draft from (it won’t be possible because we have some open teams and whatnot). Just collect the lists and collate them by league. Maybe email me a zip file, organized. That would be a huge help.

I just noticed that only 8 of 50 pitchers in the draft pool I see are Cuban. If I am remembering correctly, all or most draftees in the Cuban league have been Cuban in the past. This puzzles me and leads me to wonder if I am seeing the correct draft pool.

Edit: Nope, I just looked at last years draft log and see I am mistaken. Lot of non-Cuban players.

Bob – Santiago de Cuba 
    Participant

If memory serves correctly (always a stretch), the draft pool nationalities are comprised of the teams’ nationalities. ie. If there were four teams originally from Cuba, half of the players would be Cuban.

Tokorozawa DOM 
    Spectator

Missing lists from:

USA – Oaxaca, Panama City, Akashi, Chihuahua
    Japan – Sapporo, Taegu, Cancun, Puerto Plata
    Cuba – Suwon, Hong Kong, Vancouver, Tocumen, Toluca
    Venezuela – Mexico City, Pacora, Toronto
    South Korea – Roswell, Hukuoka, San Lorenzo, Cheju, Santurce, Busan
    Dominican Republic – Moca, Colon, Valencia, Tokyo, Bani
    Canada – La Habana, Rizao, Toa Baja, Jeonju, Brooklyn

Please get them in.

Tocumen 
    Participant

I hope the collection of lists went well. Any idea when the next sim will be complete?
    Thanks again for coming up with a solution to save the draft.

Tokorozawa DOM 
    Spectator

I’m about 5 minutes away from sending the spreadsheet to Marc. Just entering the last minute lists that came in. After that I’m not sure how long things will take on his end.

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

where are we as we move forward? expectations for completion of the draft and next sim. any time frames available at the moment.

Vancouver (CUB) 
    Participant

I know Marc is traveling through the 24thish so the processing of the draft will depend on free time / internet connection I reckon. It might take a while since he has to do 24 rounds pick by pick. It will probably take 2-3 hours of real-world time at a minimum.

Mike Topham 
    Participant

Yeah… Spaced this, but had no time to get to it, either… Grrrrr… Not sure where we stand, but the solution above – just filling in with unselected guys isn’t very fair…

It might be worth mailing a list to Marc, Mike. Marc might consider following it if he has not yet begun processing the draft. I would expect anything, but at least Marc would have the list if he wants to use it. In the worst case, he would just not use the list.

Vancouver (CUB) 
      Participant

Regarding Mexico City’s concerns – Marc will not be filling in unlisted players for teams with no lists. The AI will make the pick.

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

I sent an question about this very issue. The response was 24 only not 88.

wbhcommish 
    Keymaster

travel was more frenzied than planned because my luggage got lost. since i was attending a wedding, and running a half marathon, i have had to waste a bunch of time shopping. and still no luggage…

i’m beginning to process the draft now based on the lists sent to me thursday/friday. i’m not sure how long it will take.

A huge thank-you to Marc, Robert, and anybody else who has been helping get us back on track after this unexpected problem. I would imagine manually going through 7 drafts from lists to be a horrendous pain in the backside.

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

By the grace of god I received the recent email that the draft is completed.

Would someone be so kind as to post the Draft Log for the KOR?

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

Nope. Still hasn’t been updated. First place I look prior to posting.

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

It is last years draft log report and transactions only to the 11th not the 13th as posted by the email.

You need to clear your internet cache. I’m seeing the 2043 results. You got Armixo, Gueirero, and Icardo with your first three picks.

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

Clearing the cache isn’t the problem. I just looked again and it appeared without clearing any cache. Guess the lower tiers aren’t nearly as important uploading reports to the USA. It is ok. This was the only instance because of the draft that I had to use it. Otherwise, I use my in game report.

Evidently the ones that didn’t lift a finger to compose a draft list got rewarded with good picks. Meanwhile, those that did the work got screwed. #veryuncool

I’m telling you again, that when you first posted above that you needed someone to post the draft list, I went online and saw the 2043 reports for Korea and copied the link. It is dated 3/13 and has the 2043 list of transactions. Then you said reports still weren’t uploaded and that there is some favoritism for the reporting? The reports were there when you said they weren’t.

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

Bob – Santiago de Cuba 
    Participant

First, why are you posting Limp Bizkit videos? Second, the 2043 draft list is up. The problem is on your end.

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

And another USA guy comes to the rescue. Just really sad.

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

Expected, but still sad.

Tokorozawa DOM 
    Spectator

Worked fine for me and I’m in the bottom tier. Any more complaints?

Tocumen 
    Participant

Worked fine for me in he Cuban league.

Bob – Santiago de Cuba 
    Participant

@thunderbay, you’re constantly complaining about stuff. If you don’t like it here, why haven’t you left yet?

Gordon Maclean 
    Participant

My draftees look in line with my expectations. No complaints here

Thunder Bay 
    Participant

Oh @bob-mackowski. No Joy in Mudville doing that. Having fun over here, besides I haven’t heard no fat lady sing. The party isn’t over, regardless how lame the party is. Over half the patrons have already left and the rest are the ones that actually have a vested interest.

Will, if you aren’t going to quit (again), maybe you could just quit making up problems to complain about?

Bob – Santiago de Cuba 
    Participant

I don’t think this is Will. I went back and looked and this person never introduced himself.

I’m pretty sure Thunder Bay is still Will Moore.

Vancouver (CUB) 
    Participant

I got my #3, #5, and #13 with the 4th pick. Not feeling screwed.

AI is always used to pick for teams with no list. It would be ridiculously unfair to do otherwise.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOIN US

If you would like to join, send us a message with a little bit about you and your OOTP history.

Sending

©2018 World Baseball Hierarchy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar