2039 United States

This topic contains 62 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Santiago de Cuba USA 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
     Moca DOM 
    Spectator

U S A

U S A

U S A!!!

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Ballsy move by the Jackals. Six guaranteed years, $160 mil guaranteed to a 32 year old infielder. Granted, that infielder is pretty darn good. We’ll see how this one plays out.

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

@Santiago de Cuba (USA) wrote:

Ballsy move by the Jackals. Six guaranteed years, $160 mil guaranteed to a 32 year old infielder. Granted, that infielder is pretty darn good. We’ll see how this one plays out.

Bonzaiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!

I shouldn’t run out of cap space until year 3 of his deal, so I’ll probably be trying to shed him then…

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

The USA draft pool is a wasteland. I’ll get a borderline prospect at #5 and the people after me will probably get career minor leaguers. This is bad.

Chihuahua USA 
    Spectator

Didn’t realize until just now that I somehow get the #1 pick. Was excited until I saw the draft pool. At least I’ll get something, but I was looking forward to landing a killer ace prospect that my farm desperately needs!

I’m likely picking RF Keith Steedman. Solid batting prospect, great intangibles, and durability is always a plus to help the prospect stay healthy during development.

Baracoa CUB 
    Spectator

It isn’t any better around the league. I count one truly elite prospect among the entire hierarchy draft class this year. This might be the draft reacting to the insane amount of talent in the WBH.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Just noticed this random fact about my team: I only have five players with guaranteed contracts for next year and the most expensive contract is for $2 mil. I have 13 team options, 4 free agents, 3 arbitrations and 5 minimum/non-guaranteed salaries.

If this team pisses me off, I’m dumping them all and starting over again.

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

I’ve said it before and gotten relegated, but, this is the year I’m winning this thing.

Added the best 2B (Alvicar) on the market to fill my only lineup hole.
    Added a good backup catcher (Shan) to give my superstar catcher some occasional sits against righties.
    Added a great RP (Mendoza).

I have the #4 pick in the draft. Slim pickins. This is probably the year I draft for organizational need (pitching) instead of best overall talent, because the best overall talent will all be gone by the time I make my first pick πŸ˜†

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

Added a good backup catcher (Shan) to give my superstar catcher some occasional sits against righties.

Well, this sucks. I didn’t even look at his defensive ratings. My new backup catcher ‘Sham’ is actually an outfielder.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

Well, this sucks. I didn’t even look at his defensive ratings. My new backup catcher ‘Sham’ is actually an outfielder.

Sorry but that’s a little funny… Cap_PDT_01_20

Tijuana VEN 
    Spectator

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

“Wow”

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

Sorry but that’s a little funny… Cap_PDT_01_20

It’s very funny!

πŸ˜†

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

There goes your GM of the year! I can only imagine the look on his face at the press conference Cap_PDT_01_02

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

I’ve said it before and gotten relegated, but, this is the year I’m winning this thing.

Added the best 2B (Alvicar) on the market to fill my only lineup hole.
    Added a great RP (Mendoza).

I have the #4 pick in the draft. Slim pickins. This is probably the year I draft for organizational need (pitching) instead of best overall talent, because the best overall talent will all be gone by the time I make my first pick πŸ˜†

We will be fighting hard to prevent this, but then again we think we’re winning it all every year. Picked up a LOOGY and a couple backup catchers (who can actually catch!) in free agency, would really like to add a 4th and 5th outfielder, infield depth and maybe another bullpen arm.

Biggest question mark will be the rotation, which should improve just by being a year older. Right now it’s looking like:

Angel Torrente – Brought on to be the ace, faded down the stretch and in the playoffs after starting out 11-2. No ratings hits, hopefully can get his ERA below 3.50

Alastair Woodruff – Only other starter to qualify for the ERA title. Managed a 5.12 ERA despite a 1.17 WHIP. 31 HR in 130 innings will do that. Gained a tick of movement back at the end of the season. He only walked 13 in 25 starts last year, so as he starts missing more bats we expect that WHIP to drop closer to 1.00. If he can get his innings up above 150 and his HR below 30 he will be a solid #2.

Juan Rubiera – Still only 23 and rushed to the bigs our fingers are crossed he takes a big step forward this season. Not as gopher-ball prone as Woodruff, he still hasn’t harnessed his control and we expect the walks to come down and the strikeouts to increase. An ERA under 4.00 would be great.

Jesus Castro – Nagasaki refugee turned out to be my second-best starter last year but we had him on an extremely short leash. Would like to squeeze 30-50 more innings out of him. An ERA close to 3.00 is unrealistic but something in the 3.50-4.00 range would make me happy.

The Mouse – This could be the end of the line for the knuckleballer in Vancouver. After a couple of injury-plagued seasons, he broke through in 2037 going 11-4, 3.30 with a 1.27 WHIP and we were pumped about his future. He took a big step back last year due to a complete loss of control and his WHIP ballooned to 1.68. His strikeout rate also dropped from 7.5 to 5.7. He did have two good starts in September, and pitched valiantly in game 7 of the Championship going in to the 8th with no control issues. If it wasn’t for the flakiness of the knuckleball I might not give him a chance to keep his job but for now he’s in there on a short leash. If he walks everybody in ST he’ll wind up in AAA. He’s at the end of his first contract so no improvement = out of Dodge.

Gets pretty thin after that with large Joey Berera who pitched well in mopup (and got lit up as a starter) last year. He keeps getting slight talent bumps and could be good rotation filler someday. Grizzled vet Manny Delozada had an ERA under 3.00 in six starts last year but father time is catching up with him and there may not be room on the roster.

There will likely be some tinkering once the FA shoes drop. This team feels like it could either win 70 or lose 70.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

The USA draft pool is a wasteland. I’ll get a borderline prospect at #5 and the people after me will probably get career minor leaguers. This is bad.

If I had known it would be this bad I would have thrown 5,000,000 clams at Roth Scott. I think I offered around 4,000,000.

Looks like I’ll get a very fringe-y SP or a weak stick super-ute. Kinda hoping the 9/7/5 relief pitcher slides to 8.

Hey everyone, the #8 pick in the USA is available!

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

The entire league somehow failed to draft a 9/7/5 reliever in the first round of this bad draft pool. Looks like Chihuahua got a gift dropped into their lap.

Oaxaca JPN 
    Spectator

My draft list did not take even though I uploaded it 3 times. Sucks way do business…

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Oaxaca (USA) wrote:

My draft list did not take even though I uploaded it 3 times. Sucks way do business…

I wondered why you took a utility infielder at #3 but I didn’t think it was too awful. I considered him at #5.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

@Oaxaca (USA) wrote:

Did you export from the most recent file?

What I believe happens every year to some people is they download the file that comes out two weeks before the draft, then maybe they sit on it for a few days, then they don’t think to, or don’t bother to download the next one. Understandable if you didn’t make any free agent offers or other transactions. Problem is, if you were to then make a draft list and export, it would appear to export successfully because all exporting does is put a file on the server. It’s not until the sim is run that the export is rejected. The game will reject any export that’s not from the most recent file because the universe has changed.

I also believe exports “don’t take” sometimes but anytime I’ve had that problem I’ve had connectivity issues.

@Oaxaca (USA) wrote:

I wondered why you took a utility infielder at #3 but I didn’t think it was too awful. I considered him at #5.

I had actually had Torres at #4. I like his gold glove ability all over the field and if he gets a tick of contact and eye he could be a very useful player.

The entire league somehow failed to draft a 9/7/5 reliever in the first round of this bad draft pool. Looks like Chihuahua got a gift dropped into their lap.

I couldn’t bring myself to draft the reliever. Sure maybe he gets better but there’s always a bunch of 9/7/5 MRs around for cheap and he’s just so boring. Trottier is underwhelming but we like his outfield ability he’s another guy who doesn’t need too much improvement to be useful. We’ll probably try to make a CF out of him. And he went to college in BC so there’s that.

Seoul KOR 
    Spectator

My draft list export was apparently not taken by the game. With my team drafting first, the game chose the 3rd player on my list. My draft list, which I filled out completely (all 80 slots) is completely gone now. I carefully copied the draft list to all rounds.

I downloaded the latest league file early yesterday afternoon and exported late afternoon. Therefore, I was not exporting from the wrong league file or anything.

I was extremely careful to make sure that I exported properly. This was a very important export and I took extra care. I am certain I did the export properly.

Somebody else has complained that their export was not taken for the draft as well.

A few sims ago, my export was apparently not taken when I attempted to release a player on the last opportunity sim.

Hukuoka CUB 
    Spectator

Since this was my first draft in the league, I’m not completely sure how things went with my draft list. I’m pretty sure everything was ok but I cannot figure out now because like Seoul, I cannot check my draft list anymore.

That being said do we have to negociate contracts with our draftees at all? Do they get automatic bonuses once drafted? Where do the players go once they are drafted?

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

@Hukuoka (USA) wrote:

Since this was my first draft in the league, I’m not completely sure how things went with my draft list. I’m pretty sure everything was ok but I cannot figure out now because like Seoul, I cannot check my draft list anymore.

That being said do we have to negociate contracts with our draftees at all? Do they get automatic bonuses once drafted? Where do the players go once they are drafted?

They get automatic minor league contracts. No negotiations needed. They should be on your single-A team now.

Changsha JPN 
    Spectator

They also do not get any bonuses.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Stool goes down for another season. That’s what you get for signing autographs all day.

What a piece of shit.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Vancouver (USA) wrote:

Stool goes down for another season. That’s what you get for signing autographs all day.

What a piece of shit.

Hahaha. I hadn’t gotten around to posting about this yet. This’ll really screw up my rotation this year. I was comfortable with everybody in their spot. Now they’re all one place higher in the rotation. Ugh…

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Free agency was weird for me this year. Wound up not getting any of my original targets and settled for best available players. All in all a pretty decent haul.

Two geezers for the bullpen in Little Bull and Sung-keun Kim.

A 1B platoon I don’t need in Trey Simpson and Jose Silvez.

Backup catcher to spell Kishita against lefties in Kevin Klinger.

Platoon OF Man-su Park

Also snagged a few depth guys for AAA. Really surprised I was able to sign Simpson – I threw my last 2.5 million at him figuring he could be insurance and depth but I was sure someone would sign him. He absolutely destroys lefties and has started at least 840 straight games. He’s played nearly every inning at 1B for the Machine for seven seasons. That streak will end.

Signing Simpson and Silvez has me seriously considering trading Ching-wei Zhu, something that was inconceivable a month ago. I could really use a right-handed power-hitting OF but I’m torn. Should have an excellent pinch-hitting corp at the very least.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

A couple more oddities. My fan interest hasn’t budged. I figured Little Bull would at least add a few points but nothing. Also Yadier Ruibal is unhappy with his role on the team for some reason, and has been since the beginning of the offseason. I guess starting every day and batting cleanup isn’t what he wants? Because of that he has refused to talk extension. I’m sure it didn’t help that he didn’t get enough starts in ST #1 because of all the left-handers, so I set him to start every day in ST#2, but for some reason he started maybe half of them. He will definitely be playing every day come the regular season. If I can’t extend him that will be a huge blow for us.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Vancouver sends:

RF Powell Petipas (ML)
    CL Stanley Maudesley (ML)
    2B Tae-wan Hwang (ML)
    C Wilton Ansede (AAA)
    C Sun-ho Chon (AAA)

Hamilton sends:

RF Taek-hyun “Cajun” Park (ML)

In a move that could make or break our season we’re bringing the fragile Cajun Park back to the Ventures. We faced a ridiculous 52 left-handed starters last season going 26-26 and it’s looking like more of the same this season. Adding Park to the middle of the lineup should help counter that. Of all the deals I’ve made, this one worries me the most.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Vancouver (USA) wrote:

Vancouver sends:

RF Powell Petipas (ML)
    CL Stanley Maudesley (ML)
    2B Tae-wan Hwang (ML)
    C Wilton Ansede (AAA)
    C Sun-ho Chon (AAA)

Hamilton sends:

RF Taek-hyun “Cajun” Park (ML)

I think it’s a good move as long as he doesn’t get injured for too long.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

We started 2-7 and then ran off a nine game win streak. It’ll be another streaky year…

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Gack. Best thing I can say about this start is it could be worse. Fortunately No one in our division is running away so we only sit 3 games back despite 3 .850-1.000 OPS types having god-awful Mays. Country Ruibal has a .578 OPS and that’s after a 6-hit 2HR week. He should be slugging .578. Toin Kishita has an OPS of .688, Ching-wei Zhu has an OPS of .687, and Fu-chi Mak, while not a superstar is putting up a dreadful .550 Anastacio Garcia can’t come off the DL fast enough.

Pitching has been acceptable, although Angel Torrente is 0-3. Good chance we’ll heat up soon – those 4 guys have to get better.

Ruibal is still being an asshole, and is still unhappy with his role on the team. Starting all 18 games and being in the middle of the lineup not good enough for you? Or are you unhappy because you’re the suckiest cleanup hitter in the USA? He has the nerve to be unhappy with our record but is totally fine with his own performance. Of course he’s still refusing to talk extension. Dick. He’s one of my all-time favorites and I had him pegged as a Venture for life with a good shot at 2222 hits. I am going to be bullshit if he doesn’t extend.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Really didn’t think scoring runs would be a problem this year but we’re still averaging 3.3. Meanwhile in the LOD Santiago de Cuba is averaging over 7 with a team OPS over .900 Cap_PDT_01_31

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Vancouver (USA) wrote:

Really didn’t think scoring runs would be a problem this year but we’re still averaging 3.3. Meanwhile in the LOD Santiago de Cuba is averaging over 7 with a team OPS over .900 Cap_PDT_01_31

We’re also giving up 5.2 runs per game. One of these numbers will remain consistent through the season. One won’t. Which do you think changes?

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

We’re also giving up 5.2 runs per game. One of these numbers will remain consistent through the season. One won’t. Which do you think changes?

Yeah there’s no way your pitching will remain that good all season Cap_PDT_01_05

Chihuahua USA 
    Spectator

Tough series against Santiago. Snagged 1 of 3 to break that ridiculous win streak, but we spotted them 4 runs in the first inning in each game. My three starters combined for 9.1 IP combined for 16 ER in the series. Meanwhile, my bullpen blows a 5 run lead against Hukuoka and gives up 8 in the last two innings in our last game against them.

My pitching is a huge glaring weakness, giving up 42 runs over the last four games…yet it’s currently top of the division in both starter ERA and bullpen ERA. What a wacky world it is up here in the USA league.

Hukuoka CUB 
    Spectator

Someone needs to tell my pitching staff to wake up and that we are 30 games in the season already
    http://worldbaseballhierarchy.com/lgreports/news/html/teams/team_16.html

On a side note, kinda funny (or not) that the two finalists are currently dead last in their respective divisions…

And we just lost Flores for 5 weeks with a fractured finger. Losing a .330 BA out of 2nd spot

Not an easy season so far…might even get relegated the way things are going… Cap_PDT_01_33

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

I’ve got a positive run differential, and I’m 8-7 in close games (1-run + X-inning), but I’m 13-17 overall. Weird season in the USA as usual.

Just just lost my 30/30 CF Sanchez for 5 weeks, but I’m pretty deep in the OF so I should be able to tread water there. I still like my team enough to think I have a shot at the division. We need to start making progress soon.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

I’ve got a positive run differential, and I’m 8-7 in close games (1-run + X-inning), but I’m 13-17 overall. Weird season in the USA as usual.

The only team in the division with a positive run differential – everyone’s pyth record is within 2 games.

Fortunate to only be 4 back. Last in the league in runs. Ruibal’s OPS is down to .568 and he still won’t talk extension. Attendance is down and the owner is furious. At least Anastacio Garcia is off the DL and Zhu and Kishita are heating up. This team is notoriously slow-starting so hopefully as the weather heats up so will the bats. Starting pitching has been realistically decent, bullpen shaky. Really don’t have the flexibility to improve the team via trade – might be able to flip a FA signing or two come July. Barring major injury I think we still have the juice to be in it at the end.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

My optimism is waning…

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Yay something resembling a good sim. Cap_PDT_01_17

Thankful to be tied with the Jackals despite them playing better ball. Still feel like we’ve got the talent to make a run and we’re only six back so despite the temptation we won’t be blowing things up until at least mid-July. Staying in the USA is a priority because getting back can be a crap shoot.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

We’re right where I thought we would be. We’re a slightly above .500 team capable of a hot streak. Luckily, nobody else in the division wows me either. We should be in it with Chihuahua until the end or until I lose several more important pieces to injury.

Couple odd notes from this sim:

-We hung eight come from behind runs in the ninth inning on Vancouver in a 9-4 win. The comeback didn’t feature a single HR. Here’s how it went: 1B, BB, 1B, 2B, 2B, BB, 2B, BB, K, 1B, K, 1B, F7.

-We hit back to back to (almost) back homers in the next game against Vancouver. Aldono hit one, Carrillo hit one, then after a groundout, former Venture SP Thexton hit one. That’s Thexton’s sixth of his career. We still lost the game 4-3.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

5-1 but two big losses in the last sim. Angel Torrente is done for the year and Cajun Park is taking his annual vacation. Only a month this time so he should be back mid-August. Depth is a big problem for us so he will be sorely missed. We have a few bats that could potentially get hot so they better hop to it if we’re going to have a chance.

On the plus side, the Mouse is showing signs of life – 4 hits, 0 runs and most importantly only 5 walks in his last 18.2 innings. Holding out hope that the game models the flakiness of knuckleballers and he has regained his form. If he does we can absorb the loss of Torrente. Large Joey Berrera is holding his own, but the .257 BABIP and 1.9 HR/9 are huge red flags. Getting a huge workhorse season from Alastair Woodruff but he has the same red flags. Bullpen is an absolute shitshow.

Approaching the deadline in a strange position. Still in the relegation seat, but only 4 games out of first. We just lost two superstars, and don’t have the assets to replace them. We and the Jackals are hot, Changsha is cold, and Akashi is holding steady. Going to try to improve at the deadline but it will be difficult. Priority is staying in the USA because I think we still have a good foundation and will have much more flexibility next year.

Panama City JPN 
    Spectator

@Vancouver (USA) wrote:

On the plus side, the Mouse is showing signs of life – 4 hits, 0 runs and most importantly only 5 walks in his last 18.2 innings. Holding out hope that the game models the flakiness of knuckleballers and he has regained his form. If he does we can absorb the loss of Torrente.

Been keeping an eye on Pak since he was traded to Vancouver from Panama City a few seasons back. Too bad he only had one really good season since then (2037), had some injury troubles and now it looks like he’s struggling with control, too. At the risk of jinxing it, Panama City has a shot at promotion this season, so maybe he’ll end up facing one of the prospects he was traded for.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Big 5-1 sim for us and that takes me all the way to one game out of first, right where I was before. Chihuahua also had a 5-1 sim.

In an interesting development that I just realized, my ace and closer are both scheduled to come off the disabled list before the end of the season. Too bad most of my head to head games with Chihuahua will be finished by the time they come back.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Yuck. Last 4 games of the sim we give up 2, 3, 2, and 3 runs and go 0-4, scoring 4 runs. Really wanted those games against Akashi. Next sim we will score 30 and give up 50.

Cajun Park comes back for the last 2 games next week, hopefully that provides a lift. The Mouse had another good outing, and now his extension price is in the $6,000,000 range. Might be too high of a gamble considering his recent history and ugly 6/8/3 ratings. We’ll see if he implodes before the end of the season.

Sights still set on the Fordians but really just hoping to claw our way over Maracaibo or Changsha. If our offense and defense get hot at the same time we could go on a run. Yadier Ruibal is still an asshole Cap_PDT_01_15

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Ok maybe we’ll score 59 and give up 30.

My apologies to the Jackals – a brutal sweep where we outscored them 46-12. 5-1 sim and we still lose ground to the 6-0 Fordians. Still nice to be back to .500 and not sweating relegation so much. If my bats stay hot we like our chances.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Scary note: Akashi has given up 12 runs during their 10-game winning streak. Cap_PDT_01_01

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Lost my cleanup hitter for the rest of the season. It’ll be tough to overcome this one.

Still only one game back of Chihuahua.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Tough sim. My export didn’t take for some reason and I missed my opportunity to pass Chihuahua. They went 2-4 but, since my export didn’t go through, I also went 2-4 with a 23 man roster that should’ve been fixed.

Meanwhile, Oaxaca went 5-1 and they’re now a very close third. They could easily steal this division.

Oaxaca JPN 
    Spectator

Don’t jinx us…. I have been quiet on the boards, begging for a come from behind rally.

Solid defense has made us competitive. Chihuahua mashes!!!

Chihuahua USA 
    Spectator

I’m just happy to be in the mix. I thought the team would be working on holding off relegation, but we’ve had some surprise performers sprinkled around the team to bring us here.

We lost a big bat at a crucial time with 2B Brian Prater out until the last week of the regular season. He’s demanding a lot for an extension, so we may be seeing his last days as a Chihuahua. We’ve been grooming his replacement, 2B Yoshinori Kuroe, for a while though and it seems like he’s ready to take the reins.

Oaxaca JPN 
    Spectator

0-6 sim after someone posted about the Oaxaca surge on the boards. Happens every time. Cap_PDT_01_02

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

I thought this was the year that we’d come back and take the division but I guess I was wrong. A 1-5 sim, including a sweep by Chihuahua, all but eliminates us. We’re six games back with six to go.

We’re in good shape financially for next year but some of our key players are getting older. Maybe I can add an impact player in the offseason.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Congrats to Akashi and Chihuahua!

Disappointing season for the Ventures. A horrible last two sims breaks up our run of 13 straight seasons of positive run differential. We rested some guys in the last sim since there was no spoiler potential but kept our regular rotation and went 1-5. We weren’t gunning for it but I think we snagged the #1 pick. Fingers crossed since our system is barren. I’m sure I will trade it away Cap_PDT_01_17

Really wanted to face Chihuahua, or as I refer to them – Vancouver South, for the title. Maybe next year! Why can’t I get guys like Argenal and Meagher? Cap_PDT_01_05

Chihuahua USA 
    Spectator

That trade definitely kick-started our run. Here’s a summary for nostalgia’s sake. We were treading water in JPN and ready to blow our team up for a serious run for the future. The trade knocked us down to DOM the following season, but Bader, Meagher, and Argenal are all significant pieces for our team now!

It was a great win-win trade, because IIRC, the pieces to Vancouver helped boost them to a USA championship. It’d be pretty sweet if the trade helped both sides to a championship.

Another trade later that season was instrumental to our run too. We received OF Jae-ik Cho in this trade with Jeonju. His ratings got some significant boosts along the way and he’s having a monster season in the USA.

Anyway, we have a big challenge ahead against Akashi. They have a wide array of power bats and their pitching is definitely a few notches ahead of ours. If our pitchers can keep the ball in the ballpark and our offense can continue their hot streak, we have a chance though. Good luck to them!

Chihuahua USA 
    Spectator

Fun fact: Out of the 16 runs scored in the series so far, all but 1 have been scored from a HR.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

@Chihuahua (USA) wrote:

That trade definitely kick-started our run. Here’s a summary for nostalgia’s sake. We were treading water in JPN and ready to blow our team up for a serious run for the future. The trade knocked us down to DOM the following season, but Bader, Meagher, and Argenal are all significant pieces for our team now!

It was a great win-win trade, because IIRC, the pieces to Vancouver helped boost them to a USA championship. It’d be pretty sweet if the trade helped both sides to a championship.

Another trade later that season was instrumental to our run too. We received OF Jae-ik Cho in this trade with Jeonju. His ratings got some significant boosts along the way and he’s having a monster season in the USA.

Anyway, we have a big challenge ahead against Akashi. They have a wide array of power bats and their pitching is definitely a few notches ahead of ours. If our pitchers can keep the ball in the ballpark and our offense can continue their hot streak, we have a chance though. Good luck to them!

We definitely don’t win in 2032 without Delozada, Collins and Lewis. Might not have been the best long-term strategy but that team wasn’t ready for the USA so we needed some juice. Collins gave us 3.9 WAR, Delozada wound up starting 15 games despite never starting and went 11-4 in 34 appearances, and Lewis was injured when we traded for him but wound up driving in 46 runs in 58 games after he came back.

Collins never pitched that well for us again and we wound up flipping him for a fringe prospect a couple years later. Delozada always pitched well for us out of the ‘pen but got shelled when I would spot-start him so his numbers are ugly. He was just released this season for payroll flexibility. Lewis was the key piece in that deal but I got frustrated with his inability to stay on the field and flipped him for two relief pitchers that helped me win in ’34 and ’35. Lewis went on to be traded several more times and served an 80-game drug suspension, and has played in 100 games 3 times in his career.

I don’t regret the trade because without it I could have been relegated and then who knows what might have happened. I will take 3 USA titles in 4 years any day. Gots to strike while the iron is hot!

As for the Playoffs – Wow, Akashi is keeping those Chihuahua bats in check. A team .847 OPS in a non=DH league is ridonkulous. Still have to root for the former blood. In addition to the aforementioned Meagher, Argenal, and Bader the Dogs also have Tat Huie and Lippy Martinez. Go Chihuahuas!

Chihuahua USA 
    Spectator

Wow! What a series! It came down to the wire in extra innings in game 7.

Summary:

Game 1: @Akashi 4, Chihuahua 2
    – Akashi’s 3B Fresno kicks off the series with a 2-run HR in the 1st to pull ahead 2-0. Chihuahua counters with HRs from OF Argenal and SS Meagher (the duo from Vancouver) to tie it up 2-2, but OF Chadwell hits a 2-out walk-off HR in the 9th to give the Fordians a 1-0 series lead

Game 2: Chihuahua 4, @Akashi 2
    – Akashi gets to another quick start with a 1st inning HR, this time from 2B Esparza, but the slugfest continued on as Chihuahua’s OF Robton knocks in the winning runs with a 3-run blast. A solo blast from each team in the 9th means caps off the scoring. USA rookie of the year candidate, SP Kim, pitches a solid game, giving up just the first inning solo HR in 7 innings of play

Game 3: Akashi 3, @Chihuahua 1
    – Chihuahua’s hopes to retain home field advantage after stealing game 2 were dashed quickly, as Akashi leads the game off with three straight HRs off of SP Bernal. Bernal recovered to pitch 7 scoreless innings after the 3 HRs, but Akashi’s SP Humby only gives up a solo blast in 6 innings and Akashi takes back home field advantage with a strong team pitching performance

Game 4: @Chihuahua 11, Akashi 7
    – After scoring a total of 16 runs in the first two games, the two teams opened up the scoring in a crucial game 4. Chihuahua exploded for 7 runs in the 5th that included three separate 2-run HRs. Akashi’s bats didn’t stay idle and managed to cut an 8-run lead in half, but Chihuahua’s bullpen hangs on to tie the series up 2-2

Game 5: @Chihuahua 2, Akashi 0
    – Chihuahua’s ace, SP Muk, had some struggles during the season, but stepped up big in the biggest game of his career. He outdueled SP Myong en route to a 1 hit shutout to bring Chihuahua one game away from the USA championship. His only baserunner allowed was a 2-out double to 3B Biaz in the 6th inning.

Game 6: @Akashi 1, Chihuahua 0
    – With the season on the line, Akashi’s rookie and future superstar SP Cartayena delivered a gem of his own, throwing 7 innings of shutout ball along with 10 Ks. The bout remained scoreless until a an RBI single by backup 3B Takahashi, scoring 1B Fresno. The run came with a cost, was Fresno fractured his ribs on the play which took the slugger out for the remainder of the series. It was the only run of the game as Akashi forces a game 7 to decide the championship

Game 7: Chihuahua 4, @Akashi 2 (10 innings)
    – Chihuahua took the lead in the 6th off of a OF Cho double, but Akashi struck back in the bottom of the inning with Esparza’s third solo HR of the series. In both the 8th and 9th innings, Chihuahua had the opportunity to seize the lead, but stranded men on 3rd with less than 2 outs both innings. The bats finally broke through in the 10th when Cho’s leadoff triple was followed by SS Meagher’s RBI single. 1B Lopez secured some insurance runs with a HR to put Chihuahua up by three going into the bottom of the 10th. The insurance runs proved necessary as Akashi fought back with a run of their own, but it wasn’t enough to take the series

There were some spectacular pitching performances. I watched the games’ play-by-plays and I was on the edge of my seat by the last game!

Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

Congrats!

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

Congratulations, David!

Akashi USA 
    Spectator

Congratulations to Chihuahua on a hard fought victory.

Under current management, Akashi has managed only one World Series win in 20 seasons in the USA. 😳 I’m hoping for another shot at the title in 2040.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Damn fine USA championship. Congrats to David for the successful rebuild. Nice to see a team survive the fall from the USA to the third tier and make it back to win a title. Hopefully for the rest of us this team peaked in 2035 Cap_PDT_01_14

@Akashi (USA) wrote:

Congratulations to Chihuahua on a hard fought victory.

Under current management, Akashi has managed only one World Series win in 20 seasons in the USA. 😳 I’m hoping for another shot at the title in 2040.

Surviving to see 20 seasons in the USA is nothing to sneeze at. We will be trying like hell to prevent that title shot. Please, please, please let there be an ML-ready stud bat at #1……

Oaxaca JPN 
    Spectator

Congratulations to Chihuahua!! Way to represent……

Was one of the closest USA finishes I have seen.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Congrats David!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOIN US

If you would like to join, send us a message with a little bit about you and your OOTP history.

Sending

Β©2019Β World Baseball Hierarchy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar