2039 Japan

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Monterrey USA 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
     Moca DOM 
    Spectator

Good Luck to all

Mexico City DOM 
    Spectator

Man, wrong year to have the top pick – does the Japan draft class blow hard or what?

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

yes it does. wow.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

I have been playing OOTP long enough now, and i’ve see it plenty of times that this shouldn’t surprise me…. but I am actually a little taken aback by MR Kim turning down increasing offers (per his request) to take a minor league deal in Vancouver. the cherry on top is the fact that it happened so quickly in FA.

I’ve lost to other teams who offered less money. but i’ve never lost on a player to a team who didn’t offer any money. there wasn’t even any signing bonus, or an ML opt-out.

I’m dumbfounded.

Cancun VEN 
    Spectator

very happy with how FA went, i put my money to work and came out with a top of the rotation pitcher and a 1B.

Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

@Taegu (JPN) wrote:

I have been playing OOTP long enough now, and i’ve see it plenty of times that this shouldn’t surprise me…. but I am actually a little taken aback by MR Kim turning down increasing offers (per his request) to take a minor league deal in Vancouver. the cherry on top is the fact that it happened so quickly in FA.

I’ve lost to other teams who offered less money. but i’ve never lost on a player to a team who didn’t offer any money. there wasn’t even any signing bonus, or an ML opt-out.

I’m dumbfounded.

I also offered Kim a fairly substantial offer…strange.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Bocas del Toro (DOM) wrote:

@Taegu (JPN) wrote:

I’m dumbfounded.

Ditto.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

@Santiago de Cuba (USA) wrote:

@Bocas del Toro (DOM) wrote:

@Taegu (JPN) wrote:

I’m dumbfounded.

Ditto.

Not as dumbfounded as me. I had been offering him real money the first two sims but I ran out because I increased other offers. Figured I would offer him a minor-league deal, maybe keep him on the hook. He will definitely make the ‘pen as an everyday LOOGY.

Guess he just wanted to play for THE BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD! Cap_PDT_01_05

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

oh my god

^that makes this even more of a bullshit situation. the fact that even you had a real offer on the table before switching to a minor league deal

come the **** on dude

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Actually we worked out a deal where he’s paying us.

Or he woke up one morning and realized he was old and can’t pitch anymore. Maybe the joke’s on me……

Panama City JPN 
    Spectator

Somehow I missed that whole thread on the Free Agent. Which is good, cause it would have really irritated me.

Can anyone confirm or deny if the WBH is using “reputation” for the various tiers? Meaning, does the US have a better reputation in the OOTP settings than lower tiers? If so, that would to to explaining why a player would sign in the US and not in a lower tier, although it would surely have to be a bug if the player took a minimum contract to play in the US, when offered much more in a lower tier.

I meant to ask that question last off-season when several FAs I was after took (much) less money to play in the US.

Anyway, on to the Japan league…

Panama City is off to a hot start, which surely won’t last. Pitching is on fire, with a starter ERA below 1.50 through two weeks. We’re leading the division in runs scored and runs allowed.

Lost one starter, aging Salvadaro Braganes to a 3 month injury, and forced to call up youngster Cisco Durón. Cisco was my first-ever first round pick after I joined the WBH, and he was initially drafted as an infielder, with solid pitching potential. He made his way through the minors as a full-time two-way player, and he’s a legit ML hitter, but developed as a starter as well. He got his first start in the past sim, and went 7 innings, giving up only one earned run. For now, he’s only pitching, and resting in between.

Hoping the team can stay hot for a while, as we seemed to under-perform last year, and only added a few pieces this off-season without any major moves.

Panama City JPN 
    Spectator

Long silence in the Japan forum this season.

One week to go, and with a really good last sim at 5-1, Panama City is two games ahead of Cancun, but they meet for three games in the final sim of the season. So it’s down to the wire in the Latitude Division, while Monterrey just about has the Longitude wrapped up, with a 4 game lead and 6 to play.

Mexico City long ago wrapped up one relegation spot, while Pacora is 3 games ahead of Taegu in the other division.

Could not be happier with the pitching I got from my starters this year. We have three starters that led the division in ERA and WAR virtually all season – Acosta, Ascienzo, and Bertemati. The oldest of them is only 28, and they should all be in Panama City uniforms for a number of seasons to come.

Hoping to finish off with the division lead, and get a shot at promotion in the playoff against Monterrey.

Cancun VEN 
    Spectator

@Panama City (JPN) wrote:

Long silence in the Japan forum this season.

One week to go, and with a really good last sim at 5-1, Panama City is two games ahead of Cancun, but they meet for three games in the final sim of the season. So it’s down to the wire in the Latitude Division, while Monterrey just about has the Longitude wrapped up, with a 4 game lead and 6 to play.

Mexico City long ago wrapped up one relegation spot, while Pacora is 3 games ahead of Taegu in the other division.

Could not be happier with the pitching I got from my starters this year. We have three starters that led the division in ERA and WAR virtually all season – Acosta, Ascienzo, and Bertemati. The oldest of them is only 28, and they should all be in Panama City uniforms for a number of seasons to come.

Hoping to finish off with the division lead, and get a shot at promotion in the playoff against Monterrey.

ya i really pissed away a lot by getting swept against mexico city at home, that was painful. Luckily i control a lot of my own destiny with that series against you and then heading to mexico for the final 3.

Will be a good battle between your staff and my offense, led by (should be) league MVP Huaracha. Guy does everything and i really love my previous owner locking him up to a long term deal for $2.5 million/year.

Panama City JPN 
    Spectator

Congrats to Monterrey on sweeping Panama City in the Japan Championship.

None of the games were particularly close, and despite allowing almost 100 less runs than any team in Japan this season, the Pirates pitching did not step up in the playoffs.

Two of the best pitchers statistically in the WBH matched up in the series – Abél ‘Clo’ Barrera of Monterrey and Guillermo ‘Crawdad’ Acosta of Panama City.

Barrera’s season – 18-2, 212 K, 26 BB, 1.83 ERA, 1.91 FIP, 8.9 WAR in 27 starts (pitching triple crown in Japan LOD)
    Acosta’s season – 15-4, 210 K, 22 BB, 1.87 ERA, 2.04 FIP, 8.7 WAR in 24 starts (pitching triple crown in Japan LAD)

Both are just 28 years old and still in their prime.

Good luck to Barrera and the Alacranes in the US in 2040 – the Japan batters will be happy to see him out of the league!

Panama City will be trying to add a little more offense in the off-season, as in addition to Acosta, the rotation also features two other starters who would be #1’s on a lot of pitching staffs:

Arturo ‘Pluto’ Ascienzo – 2.33 ERA, 3.36 FIP, 161K, 47 BB, 4.6 WAR in 24 starts (only 25 years old)
    Francisco ‘teh ‘ Bertemati – 3.24 ERA, 3.23 FIP, 128K, 46 BB, 4.6 WAR in 24 starts (27 years old)

(What is it with every one of these pitchers having a nickname?)

The Pirates have a window of a few more seasons to try and make a run at the top tier, so we won’t be standing still in the off-season. Already looking forward to 2040…

Monterrey USA 
    Spectator

Thanks, David. And congrats on a great season!

I began this season with high hopes we’d finally break through after a few disastrous playoff series, only to fall flat on our faces in May. We spent most of the season chasing Philly, and it took some luck (especially in the health department) to eek out another divisional title.

I’m not sure what expect in the USA, as next season will mark the first time the Alacranes will play in the first tier. Not worried about Clo Barrera — not sure about the other dudes in our rotation! I’ve been encouraged, though, by how recent Japan league winners have fared once they made the final jump.

Best of luck next season! Justin

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOIN US

If you would like to join, send us a message with a little bit about you and your OOTP history.

Sending

©2020 World Baseball Hierarchy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar