2038 United States

This topic contains 44 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Maracaibo USA 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
     Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Draft picks? We don’t need no stinkin’ draft picks!

We have promised our first and second round picks to Bocas for Toin Kishita and cash. Maybe the fans will finally be happy about something… Cap_PDT_01_17

Apparently I lack the permissions to make topics sticky…..

Akashi USA 
    Spectator

I’m going to take SS Adelmo ‘Ice Water’ González with the 1st overall pick. I’ve only had the 1st overall pick one other time and I’m hoping that González works out better than the last time. He was a 9/9/9/4/7 beast when I drafted him.

Akashi USA 
    Spectator

With the 1st pick in the second round I’ll be drafting SP Michelangelo ‘Cosmos’ Zuccarello.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Funny coincidence: I just noticed that my pick, SP Honorato Jaramillo, has a recycled ID number that belonged to another one of my draft picks, an 8th round scrub who never made the majors. Hopefully Jaramillo does better than that guy.

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

This year’s first big USA injury strikes … Akashi. 3B Frenso out for the year.

Sorry, Ed. That stinks.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Azua signed free agent C Juan Zejada even though I offered more money. This is the first time in the past year or two that I think offering team options backfired. Azua is paying him $5.98 mil per year for two years. I offered about $6.8 mil for two guaranteed years plus two team options.

Busan CUB 
    Spectator

I tried to get him too … offered roughly 8mil no luck for me

Panama City JPN 
    Spectator

I wish I could give Zejada’s virtual agent a call and swear at him. I offered him more than what he ended up getting from Azua as an extension last year, and for more years, and more than once he said – sounds good, then two weeks later came back with – nah, I want more.

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

@Panama City (JPN) wrote:

I wish I could give Zejada’s virtual agent a call and swear at him. I offered him more than what he ended up getting from Azua as an extension last year, and for more years, and more than once he said – sounds good, then two weeks later came back with – nah, I want more.

I’m pretty much positive OOTP’s AI isn’t this good, but you could make a real-life plausible storyline with Zejada taking less money to go to Azua over Panama City, Busan or Santiago de Cuba. Azua is the New York Yankees, F.C. Barcelona or New England Patriots of the WBH, after all. Cachet, baby!

Tijuana VEN 
    Spectator

We can only dream that Azua is our New York Yankees… that means there is hope for everyone else Cap_PDT_01_05

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

I was mildly annoyed Zejada wound up with Azua. Fortunately it wasn’t a giant need, but he’s a good stick vs LHP and will allow Jim to season his catcher of the future Sin a little more, and maybe sit Mendy Leyva vs LHP.

So far we’ve overcome our biggest obstacle from last year – May. We started the season 6-18 last year before rallying to win 62 and it appears the momentum is continuing despite our “closer” Maudesly blowing 3 saves already. Newcomers Kishita and Ramirez are as-advertised, but Ramirez is still pissed about being traded and refuses to negotiate an extension Cap_PDT_01_15

Zhu may be finally having that season I’ve been hoping for… Can you imagine the grin on his face when he learned he would be hitting between Kishita and Ruibal?

Azua USA 
    Spectator

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to get Zejada at that price, which worked out well since I traded Pearn a few weeks before for prospects. Zejada started out in my farm system many years ago, too, so maybe he wanted to come back home to the parent club Cap_PDT_01_07

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

I just can’t get this team to fire on all cylinders and it’s driving me nuts. My role players are putting up excellent numbers but my stars, especially the young hitters, are scuffling. My 8/6/8 2B needs to do better than .232/.325/.422, my 6/9/8 1B needs to make more contact than his .192/.307/.489 line (but half of his hits are HRs), and my 9/6/3 SS needs more than an empty .302/.332/.396 line (with no HRs).

I might challenge Hukuoka if they start hitting consistently.

At least SP Arturo Escobar is putting up a 1.10 ERA. I can appreciate that.

Hukuoka CUB 
    Spectator

@Santiago de Cuba (USA) wrote:

Is he available? Cap_PDT_01_26

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

Jackal pitching has historically performed better than rated (my ballpark is a pitchers’ park) – except this year. My rotation has guys rated 987, 865, 776, 875, and 687 but has a 5.99 group ERA. That’s going to get better (right?!?!?!?), so I’m not too worried about my current last place standing yet.

Sure enough, I’ve played 30 games on the road already (10-20) but only 18 at home (11-7). I’m hoping a modest turnaround for the Jackals might be coming.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Hukuoka (USA) wrote:

Is he available? Cap_PDT_01_26

Sure! How much of an in-division rival premium would you like to pay? Cap_PDT_01_05

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

“Stool” is a very, umm…curious…nickname.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

@Hong Kong (CAN) wrote:

“Stool” is a very, umm…curious…nickname.

A more literal version of “Number Two”? Unfortunately I can’t remember who had that nickname….

Maybe he hangs out in bars a lot? He sure ain’t no turd.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Finally getting hot and finally able to beat the Tortugas head to head after getting smoked by them for two seasons (fingers crossed). Leading the league in runs scored and runs allowed, but we are not deep and key injuries could derail us.

The Bartolo Ramirez trade isn’t working out like I planned. On the surface his stats are great but that was because of a red-hot May when he put up a 450 OBP and 905 OPS. In June it was a more pedestrian 366/764. We got him for two reasons – to catch fly balls and get on base but his fly-catching skills have diminished – he has gone from a 10 to a 7 in CF since last fall and has now been banished to right field in favor of CF of the present/future Anastasio Garcia. If he doesn’t start getting on base 40% of the time again he will be useless.

Ramirez also likely cost himself a ton of money (at least from me) by refusing to negotiate all season. I would have likely still extended him at 10-15 mil per season for a couple years, but now with the declines I’m looking to pay him fourth outfielder money. I offer him an extension every week, every week he refuses to negotiate, then this past sim I get a message saying how much he likes playing here. Of course he’s asking for 17,000,000 clams he ain’t gonna get.

Just like I figured Jake Thexton is pitching well considering the state of pitching in the USA. Well done Mr. Mackowski.

On the plus side I stole Jesús Castro the first week of free agency.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Vancouver (USA) wrote:

The Bartolo Ramirez trade isn’t working out like I planned. On the surface his stats are great but that was because of a red-hot May when he put up a 450 OBP and 905 OPS. In June it was a more pedestrian 366/764. We got him for two reasons – to catch fly balls and get on base but his fly-catching skills have diminished – he has gone from a 10 to a 7 in CF since last fall and has now been banished to right field in favor of CF of the present/future Anastasio Garcia. If he doesn’t start getting on base 40% of the time again he will be useless.

Ramirez also likely cost himself a ton of money (at least from me) by refusing to negotiate all season. I would have likely still extended him at 10-15 mil per season for a couple years, but now with the declines I’m looking to pay him fourth outfielder money. I offer him an extension every week, every week he refuses to negotiate, then this past sim I get a message saying how much he likes playing here. Of course he’s asking for 17,000,000 clams he ain’t gonna get.

Just like I figured Jake Thexton is pitching well considering the state of pitching in the USA. Well done Mr. Mackowski.

It sucks that Ramirez won’t negotiate with you. He did legitimately ask for $12.5 mil per year before the season.

I disagree about Thexton. He’s been thoroughly average. The biggest gain for me was getting my financials in order. I’m running with a $60 mil payroll this year to get out of debt and have some extra capital next year.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Ramirez not negotiating early could turn out to be a blessing if he continues to age prematurely. His running speed has also decreased. If I extend him it won’t be for any more than 5-7 mil.

Thexton stands 13th in the USA in WAR, making him a solid #2-#3 locked up for another year for peanuts. He’s also a horse and only 28. Not saying he’s a god but he will likely out-perform Ramirez over the rest of his career. You also got Cavacos who landed you Romero who’s putting up a 975 OPS , got a catcher with a cannon for an arm that is on pace for 24 home runs, jettisoned 3 years of Luis Feliz’s salary, and still have Gilbert Chagnon who may or may not amount to much but is an interesting fringe prospect that makes deals work.

I know when I have lost a deal. Stop trying to make me feel better Cap_PDT_01_05

And this is by no means sour grapes – I got the guy I wanted. I was just hoping to have him for a few years. You can’t be the Ventures if you don’t roll the bones Cap_PDT_01_32

edit: ps, Thexton would have at least the third-best ERA on every staff in the USA except Akashi at a bargain-basement price. There is a huge value in that, IMHO.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Vancouver (USA) wrote:

You also got Cavacos who landed you Romero who’s putting up a 975 OPS…

I’m glad you mentioned this part of the deal. I scrolled down into the deal’s history and noticed that I received $3k cash, not $3 mil like I was supposed to get.

Oh simmers…

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Hahaha i thought that was odd. I’m sure that can be corrected if you pm the commish and the Chihuahuas.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

I just faced Vancouver in a three game set. The players of the game were SP Thexton, OF Ramirez, and C Perez. All three of them were in the same trade before the season.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Good ol’ Bingo Perez. I will always wonder how his career could have turned out…

Came on to the scene as a 26 year old pure rookie in 2026 for Sapporo, started 109 games, hit 32 bombs, drove in 85 runs, threw out 45% of baserunners, and struck out 12 times in 447 at-bats. Sure his OBP was .290 but man that .270 ISO was sweet. Wasn’t enough to keep his job though. Not sure if it was the AI or a new administration but he backed up Antonio Pelay for the next few seasons. Pretty easy to make a case for Pelay – he was a good catcher who got on base a lot more and put up two very good and one decent season.

Perez then spent a year in the minors in favor of Mito Suzuki for some crazy reason, then Toin Kishita happened. He backed up Kishita for three seasons before finally becoming a free agent.

All he did in his first season with the Ventures was put a 289/326/563, hit 26 bombs, and lead us to a title at age 34. He followed that up with two productive years, then had the best season of his career last year at age 37 driving in 83 runs and posting a 3.5 WAR while starting 109 games at catcher for the second straight season.

As fate would have it, Toin Kishita happened again, and Perez was shipped to the Rough Riders. I really wanted to keep him to spell Kishita against LHP, but I’m kinda glad to see him playing every day, except when he hits two home runs against me Cap_PDT_01_15 . It looks like his bat is finally slowing – batting average is down and he’s on a pace to shatter his career strikeout high of 40 set last year. Power is still there though. I hope he gets to keep playing after this season.

Perez hit a total of 30 home runs in those 7 “lost seasons” in Sapporo. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he would have averaged 30 homers a year playing every day. He drove in 95 runs in those years, if we give him 75 a year that’s 825. With those 180 extra home runs and 730 RBIs you’re looking at a superior defensive catcher with 353 HR and 1200 RBIs who’s still going. Considering how well he has performed in the USA, those numbers might be conservative – it’s not hard to imagine a few monster seasons mixed in.

Paolo Perez – the hall of famer who never was.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Nice writeup on Perez. It’s too bad he came up with Sapporo, a team that’s never had consistent leadership. I almost nabbed him as a free agent to become Kito’s replacement. Some of those estimated numbers might be a bit of a stretch. He was pretty terrible in four of those five seasons as a backup. Still, he could’ve done better for his career.

Tijuana VEN 
    Spectator

@Hong Kong (CAN) wrote:

@Panama City (JPN) wrote:

I’m pretty much positive OOTP’s AI isn’t this good, but you could make a real-life plausible storyline with Zejada taking less money to go to Azua over Panama City, Busan or Santiago de Cuba. Azua is the New York Yankees, F.C. Barcelona or New England Patriots of the WBH, after all. Cachet, baby!

I was wondering about this little story line, and just got around to digging up the answer in the OOTP Online Manual. Cachet indeed!!

Link

Money talks, and the configuration of your contract offer has the biggest impact on whether or not a player will accept a contract offer. However, above and beyond the contract terms, players are affected by a number of factors when considering a contract, including:

the distance of the franchise from the player’s hometown
    the level of the league (good players might not be interested in playing in a low-level league)
    your team’s reputation
    your manager reputation
    your team’s recent performance
    the likelihood of playing time
    the player’s morale (especially with contract extensions)
    the player’s personality

Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

Ahhh Perez…still annoyed at that one, cause I offered him almost 2.5M for 4 seasons and he signs for around 1.5M for 3. And I was coming off an 80 win season at the time too.

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

My lineup seems to be hitting on all cylinders, and my pitching has jumped from 4th in the LAD in most categories up to 2nd in most, but I’m still having trouble breaking through. That’s just the USA.

Anyways, a 4-2 week is a great week. I’ll take it. But there’s a charging rhino in the rear-view mirror named Jim.

Vancouver Ventures, 44-40
    Akashi Fordians, 43-41 (1 gm back)
    Maracaibo Jackals, 40-44 (4 gms back)
    Azua Tortugas, 39-45 (5 gms back)

I hope I can keep it close to the end and somehow avoid relegation. I also think this team has the pieces to close the gap and make the playoffs if I have one really good week. Fun year so far.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

We’re 1-10 over our last 11 games, a stretch that has taken us from contention for winning the division to contention for relegation.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

@Maracaibo (USA) wrote:

Anyways, a 4-2 week is a great week. I’ll take it. But there’s a charging rhino in the rear-view mirror named Jim.

More of a wounded rhino of late but he could charge at any moment. Looks like one of those years when one or two decent teams could get relegated.

Akashi is the charging rhino – 20-12 in July and August and they were the only USA team to pull off a deadline deal. I was unable to get the platoon OF i wanted, or improve my infield depth, so the infield and outfield is pretty thin, especially with Country Ruibal missing time. Bartolo Ramirez going down for the season was a kick in the teeth. Unlikely he will be back with the team next year unless he comes down about 15 million from his 21 million asking price. I’ll keep him on the DL and offer him an extension every week and see what happens. I would take a chance on him for maybe 2 years, 14 million but he is most certainly in his decline phase.

And I am getting sick and tired of playing the Jackals. 4-14 against Maracaibo, 40-26 against everybody else Cap_PDT_01_15

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

We’re 1-10 over our last 11 games, a stretch that has taken us from contention for winning the division to contention for relegation.

A 6-0 sim and a 10-1 streak takes us right back to contention.

Tokorozawa DOM 
    Spectator

Holy roller-coaster season batman!

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Crazy season. Four sims to go and everyone in the LAD within 5 games. Can’t say I’m particularly comfortable. We’ve been consistently mediocre this season with one hot streak, just hoping we don’t balance that with a cold streak at the end.

LOD is seeing some separation, but only the Hawks can breathe easy. Everyone else still has a realistic chance of being relegated.

We have a strange team. In my 23 seasons we have never been last in the league in home runs. We have an outside chance of catching Azua, but we’re 14 behind with 24 to go so it’s unlikely. (although Country Ruibal is coming off the DL for the second time this season – he is insanely streaky and has yet to get it going this year.) Speaking of Ruibal, OPS by year since being promoted to the USA: .813, .839, .895, .966, .987, 1.015, BLASTOFF! Unfortunately we haven’t had the blastoff this year, but he’s got 4 sims to get his OPS from .796 to 1.016. He’s capable of that kind of tear and if we get it we like our chances. Also a good chance Zhu will heat up – he has been god awful in August with a .605 OPS and 0 HR. Anastacio Garcia has been a godsend. He’s killing righties – .343/.412/.620 and loves the leadoff spot.

Pitchers have been showing up at the ballpark regularly, and are capable of dressing themselves. Other than Angel Torrente and everyday Eddie Yturralde, the staff has been mostly gulp-inducing. 2nd in the league in home runs allowed with 136 for a staggering -45 home run differential.

Cautiously optimistic down the stretch. I don’t feel like we’ve played our best baseball yet this year.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Wow 5 teams within 2 games of relegation. Only Hukuoka looks safe, although we and the Rough Riders are breathing easier.

Talk about parity: Win% range is .471-559. Good luck in the mad scramble down the stretch!

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

We’re still keeping pace with Hukuoka but we’re running out of time to catch them. Four games back with two sims to go but I still have six games against them. I’d like to get my first division crown since 2030 over a beatable Hukuoka team but there’s definitely a hill to climb.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Congrats to Vancouver on winning their division. Looks like some of those “Azua won’t beat itself” moves paid off.

I’m three back with six to go. It probably won’t happen but don’t blame me for holding out hope. This is the closest I’ve been to making the playoffs in years.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Congrats to Vancouver on winning their division. Looks like some of those “Azua won’t beat itself” moves paid off.

I’m three back with six to go. It probably won’t happen but don’t blame me for holding out hope. This is the closest I’ve been to making the playoffs in years.

Thanks it was a tough slog. Obviously acquiring Kishita was huge, and even the oft-griped about Bartolo Ramirez trade saved me from a miserable May when half the team was slumping. Free agent Fu-chi Mak turned out to be a good signing despite a god-awful may. He put up a .370+ OBP from June on and allowed me to flip 3B Furukawa for Anastacio Garcia. Sad to see Furukawa’s ratings have declined – up until I traded him he was the 3B of the future but we were weak in the outfield and 3B was the only place we had depth.

My attempts to put together a good young starting rotation over the past few years hasn’t come to fruition yet. Knuckleballer Pak may turn out to be a bust. Allastair Woodruff could still be effective but that 4 movement is killing him – 30 home runs in 122 innings is not going to cut it. Juan Rubiera was rushed but still has tremendous upside. The playoff rotation might wind up being Angel Torrente, Nagasaki refugee Jesus Castro, and grizzled vet Mannie Delozada who joined the rotation late in the year. We went 5-0 in his 5 starts. Not exactly fearsome.

I will be pulling for the Rough Riders. No offense to the new guy but I’d like to see him earn it. Also I would like a rematch of the heartbreaking 2027 CUB championship. I can’t remember if we were up 3-0 or 3-1, but I remember my closer Sha didn’t blow a save in the regular season, and was 3 for 3 in the series before coughing up game 7 Cap_PDT_01_15

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Disappointing end to the season for us as we finish three games behind division winner Hukuoka. They put up a 2-4 sim so we had our chance but unfortunately we matched their results with a 2-4 of our own.

Most of my team is back next year and, after spending a season getting my finances back in order, I’ll have $26 mil in cap space without any significant holes to fill.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

A 5-1 final sim guarantees us the #8 pick. Hukuoka could pick as high as #5 depending on who is promoted. Maracaibo and Azua were tied for relegation with 4 games left but the Jackals took care of business sweeping the Tortugas to end the season.

Should be a good series between evenly-matched teams. We’re the hotter club right now and I hope we can keep that momentum up. We’ll go with a three-man rotation of Torrente, and lefties Castro and Delozada to hopefully stifle the bat of Thierry Breault. I just wish we had another LOOGY or two. Woodruff might get a start depending on how the first 3 go. He pitched well down the stretch and got a tick of movement back right after I complained about it. I don’t understand how a pitcher with such great pitch selection has such terrible movement.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Aaaaaargh! We came back from 0-3 to force a game 7 and lost 3-2 at home. Valiant effort by Pak to hold the Hawks to 3 runs but we couldn’t score off their bullpen. Congrats to Hukuoka.

Looking forward to next season. No significant losses, and the young starters should improve. We will mostly be looking to strengthen the ‘pen and bench, but depending on who’s available we might be looking for another big stick.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Congrats to new guy Steff for staying the course and guiding Hukuoka to the title. Congrats to Rick for just barely missing out.

Most of my team is back next year and, after spending a season getting my finances back in order, I’ll have $26 mil in cap space without any significant holes to fill.

Crap. Paolo Perez retired. That’ll create a hole and it doesn’t look like there are any free agents to fill it.

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Crap. Paolo Perez retired. That’ll create a hole and it doesn’t look like there are any free agents to fill it.

That is a shocker considering he started 108 games. His production was significantly down so I guess he didn’t want to hang on too long. He sure put a few feathers in his cap during his “second career”. 2 titles and a career USA slash of .275/310/.498 averaging 24 HR in his age 34-38 seasons. Happy trails Mr. Perez, you will make the Ventures hall of fame if I ever get around to making one.

Hukuoka CUB 
    Spectator

Congrats to new guy Steff for staying the course and guiding Hukuoka to the title. Congrats to Rick for just barely missing out.

Thanks Bob! Considering that Zeb built this team and I didn’t make any changes to it during the time I was here, I will give him all the credit for giving me the chance of being a champion GM in my very first year. Zeb is the one that should have his name on the trophy though.

The hard part will be to keep the team at the top. There are a bunch of question marks in my rotation. I only had 2 solid starters all year long and my offense was doing most of the work. I will have to closely monitor FA’s and my system in order to see what changes may occur in the rotation for the next season.

I secured Brault at 4.75 per for the next 6 years, which I think is an awesome deal considering his 40 HRs in only 107 games. Flores is signed for the next 2 seasons. Rosado is also under contract for 2 years but Argenal is asking for a lot of money in order to get extended. Will have to work on that tonight.

I am happy with the championship. But like I always said, it’s always easier to get to the top than stay at the top. Hukuoka has a long winning tradition and I will work hard at perpetuating this tradition in the upcoming seasons!

Maracaibo USA 
    Spectator

Congratulations, Steff!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOIN US

If you would like to join, send us a message with a little bit about you and your OOTP history.

Sending

©2019 World Baseball Hierarchy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar