2034 Award Nominees

This topic contains 24 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Changsha JPN 5 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
     Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

The league office announces the Award Nominees for 2034.

Thanks to Dan and Ben for putting the list of nominees together.

PITCHER OF YEAR
    Tito Cuevas MOCA MACHINE (VEN) 8-6, 1.70 ERA, 142.2 IP, 0.95 WHIP, 6.6 WAR, 54.0 VORP
    Guan-xiu Er CHANGSHA DRAGON RIDERS (CAN) 13-3, 2.31 ERA, 179.0 IP, 0.94 WHIP, 5.9 WAR, 54.0 VORP
    Martin Harrow LAGUNILLAS LOROS (CAN) 10-8, 2.27 ERA, 186.0 IP, 0.95 WHIP, 7.4 WAR, 57.2 VORP
    Suk Om JEONJU JAYS (KOR) 14-6, 2.46 ERA, 168.0 IP, 0.97 WHIP, 4.9 WAR, 52.4 VORP
    Gustavo Ramos BARQUISIMETO OBELISCOS (USA) 18-8, 2.84 ERA, 209.1 IP, 1.08 WHIP, 7.5 WAR, 56.1 VORP

HITTER OF YEAR
    Hoitsu Asari TOLUCA TOUCANS (USA) .356 BA, .414 OBP, .707 SLG, 7.5 WAR, 77.3 VORP, 37 HR, 105 RBI
    Daniel Campolito LA HABANA LOS LEONES (CUB) .340 BA, .432 OBP, .641 SLG, 7.2 WAR, 69.6 VORP, 33 HR, 97 RBI
    Don Deacon QUEBEC DRAGONS (KOR) .339 BA, .399 OBP, .700 SLG, 7.7 WAR, 78.2 VORP, 41 HR, 116 RBI
    Hye-min Pae AZUA TORTUGAS (CAN) .358 BA, .456 OBP, .688 SLG, 9.7 WAR, 96.2 VORP, 33 HR, 103 R
    Qi-chao Huang JEONJU JAYS (KOR) .370 BA, .456 OBP, .701 SLG, 9.7 WAR, 92.7 VORP, 41 HR, 126 RBI

FIREMAN OF YEAR
    Claudio Abarcas PUERTO PLATA (CUB) 43 SV, 2.35 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 1.6 WAR, 25.3 VORP
    Guillermo Carrazco MOCA MACHINE (VEN) 40 SV, 0.98 ERA, 0.88 WHIP, 1.5 WAR, 29.2 VORP
    Jorge Ensuna HUKUOKA HAWKS (USA) 39 SV, 2.69 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 1.9 WAR, 18.1 VORP
    Chao Lok HONG KONG GOLDEN DRAGONS (CAN) 32 SV, 0.65 ERA, 0.79 WHIP, 2.3 WAR, 27.0 VORP
    Crespín Moreno VANCOUVER VENTURES (USA) 31 SV, 1.04 ERA, 0.73 WHIP, 2.6 WAR, 27.9 VORP

RELIEVER OF YEAR
    Ignacio Berumén PUERTO PLATA PUMAS (CUB) 2-2, 2 SV, 17 HLD, 1.90 ERA, 0.79 WHIP, 0.6 WAR, 18.7 VORP
    Estefan Moroa OAXACA NUEVE GARRAS DE JAGUAR (CUB) 9-3, 1 SV, 12 HLD, 2.87 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 1.6 WAR, 20.2 VORP
    Mário Tiburcio TAEGU BLACK BEARS (VEN) 6-0, 1 SV, 11 HLD, 1.54 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, 1.4 WAR, 25.1 VORP
    Nelson Torres MAO DADAISTAS (VEN) 2-0, 0 SV, 4 HLD, 1.33 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, 0.8 WAR, 22.4 VORP
    Nemesio Valadón SAN LORENZO LEGENDS (KOR) 3-0, 6 SV, 22 HLD, 2.07 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, 2.6 WAR, 25.6 VORP

ROOKIE OF YEAR
    Timo Alsa TOKYO TANUKI (DOM) .305 BA, .379 OBP, .477 SLG, 4.4 WAR, 31.4 VORP, 18 HR, 78 RBI
    Álex Colmenares SUWON SAMSUNG LIONS (CAN) .286 BA, .323 OBP, .624 SLG, 3.0 WAR, 34.7 VORP, 35 HR, 75 RBI
    Álex Dimas MOCA MACHINE (VEN) .304 BA, .355 OBP, .600 SLG, 3.4 WAR, 38.8 VORP, 29 HR, 70 RBI
    Yorikane Gato AKASHI FORDIANS (USA) .291 BA, .326 OBP, .535 SLG, 3.0 WAR, 33.8 VORP, 29 HR, 104 RBI
    Juan Malabe MONTERREY ALACRANES (VEN) .299 BA, .360 OBP, .566 SLG, 5.9 WAR, 50.2 VORP, 29 HR, 103 RBI

GM OF YEAR
    Justin Baer MONTERREY ALACRANES (VEN) 81-39, VEN champions
    Rick Baldwin VANCOUVER VENTURES (USA) 75-45, USA champions
    Jim Lee AZUA TORTUGAS (CAN) 71-49, CAN champions
    Andy Mayfield PUERTO PLATA PUMAS (CUB) 74-46, CUB champions
    Jesse Rodriguez JEONJU JAYS (KOR) 80-40, KOR champions

MOST IMPROVED GM
    Rick Baldwin VANCOUVER VENTURES (USA) 75-45, +18 wins, USA champions
    Jake Tuominen QUEBEC DRAGONS (KOR) 68-52, +19 wins, 2nd KOR LON
    E.J. Libid SAN LORENZO LEGENDS (KOR) 69-51, +20 wins, 2nd KOR LAT
    Andy Mayfield PUERTO PLATA PUMAS (CUB) 74-46, +15 wins, CUB champions
    Dan Patriss MOCA MACHINE (VEN) 75-45, +22 wins, 1st VEN LON

Voting will be open for roughly one week: until Monday, March 31 at 10 PM.

Feel free to campaign, discuss or make your predictions in the thread below.

VOTE HERE

Toluca KOR 
    Spectator

@Hong Kong (CAN) wrote:

Took ya long enough to improve Dan. Cap_PDT_01_05

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

Haha no doubt!

I would love your vote then buddy :mrgreen:

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

Voted. Thanks for putting this together!

I’m bummed that Manny Villenas wasn’t nominated for Fireman of the Year. He outperformed a couple of the candidates but only had 25 saves so he got overlooked. He probably wouldn’t have won so it doesn’t matter.

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

I also wanted to campaign for Carazco for the Fireman of the year in just to remind everyone he is the only closer in this whole bunch who had ZERO blown saves last year. 40 for 40. Pretty amazing to me!

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

@Santiago de Cuba (USA) wrote:

I’m bummed that Manny Villenas wasn’t nominated for Fireman of the Year. He outperformed a couple of the candidates but only had 25 saves so he got overlooked. He probably wouldn’t have won so it doesn’t matter.

He was probably sixth in consideration.

I didn’t meddle with the ballot, except I created the lists for GM awards.

Opposite sort of situation, but I was a bit surprised the WBH-wide wins leader wasn’t among the pitchers, but I can see the argument with going for fundamentals over results sometimes.

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

Yi also was kinda on the “Bubble” it was real hard to come up with just about all of them cept for maybe the most improved and rookies.

There was really only 5 guys who had much of an improvement and the rookies kinda wrote themselves.

The Middle Reliever one is quite easily the hardest of them all. It’s real hard to judge a guy and really search for those stats, so I just discount any “Closers” (ie guys who had more then a handful of saves) and move on from there.

Bob’s guy while good just wasn’t a closer long enough IMHO to be better then any of the ones we picked.

Hitters, while I am sure there are a couple who could be argued for inclusion pretty much wrote themselves.

I always say this ballot is the hardest to do (well manager of the year sucks to do too b/c what truly makes a great manager, just winning? Not always).

Anyway good luck to all!

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

I’ll try to justify/defend what I can. As we say every year, there will be a lot of great players that aren’t included on the ballots. What Dan and I did was create our own lists for each category, then combine them. Some lists only made to 5 guys, some were at least 7 or 8 players long. Players that made both of our lists were no-brainers, and you see them here. But some players were added where others had to be dropped, unfortunately.

I’ll let Dan speak for Dan, but I tried to include the leaders over several categories. Some players made it easy by leading several categories. But not all stats could be considered when you’re only building a 5-item list.

as for pitching, for me, wins aren’t that exceptional. I trended towards VORP and WAR, and tried to go with players with low rate stats over the largest sample sizes (i.e. high IP). I believe Fireman made my list, but his ERA, while good, was higher than the other candidates. Yi is a case of a lot of good spread out over a number of metrics, but other than wins, not really standing at the top of the pile in any other stats.

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Moca (VEN) wrote:

Bob’s guy while good just wasn’t a closer long enough IMHO to be better then any of the ones we picked.

The last nine consecutive years isn’t long enough? Cap_PDT_01_20

I’m not picking a fight, I just thought your phrasing was funny. We didn’t have enough save situations last year for Villenas to accumulate saves. That’s probably why our closer ended up with six wins in addition to 25 saves.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

It isn’t a Last-Nine-Consecutive-Years-Award, it’s the 2034 Award.
    Cap_PDT_01_26

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

@Moca (VEN) wrote:

The last nine consecutive years isn’t long enough? Cap_PDT_01_20

I’m not picking a fight, I just thought your phrasing was funny. We didn’t have enough save situations last year for Villenas to accumulate saves. That’s probably why our closer ended up with six wins in addition to 25 saves.

With 25 saves you are either A) not a closer all year (not long enough) or B) just aren’t that good and only got 25.

I can’t justify giving a guy with 25 saves a nom over a guy with 30+

If you look on the list can you make a case for him over any of the other guys? I can’t.

Again not arguing just saying where I stood on looking at those guys and him

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

@Moca (VEN) wrote:

With 25 saves you are either A) not a closer all year (not long enough) or B) just aren’t that good and only got 25.

Dan, I gotta disagree with that logic. You can’t just look at saves as the metric for closers, like you can’t just look at wins as the metric for starters.

Villenas was on a team with 57 wins. He’s not going to have as many opportunities as other people, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a good closer. I don’t think it’s a complete mistake he’s not on the ballot, but neither would it be a huge mistake if he was.

When I made out the ballot a few seasons back, I included a Puerto Plata closer (as I recall) who only had 24 saves. He was on an awful team, but he was a lights-out stopper when he did get opportunities.

Jeonju CUB 
    Spectator

Congrats to every player and GM on the list. I’m sure the players are especially thrilled. I’ll put my plug in for the Jays here…

Qi-chao Huang had a great season for us and we’re hopeful that he will be named the hitter of the year. He won the WBH Overall Triple crown with a .370 Ave, 41 HR (Tie for 1st) and 126 RBI while scoring 116 runs. He also tied for 1st in OB% and 2nd in SLG for you Sabremetricans out there. The only knock on him is that he didn’t play a premium position but he did play all 120 games at 1B, making only 6 errors and posting a +4.8 ZR. He also helped us to an 80 win season and a championship!

While I just plugged hard for our hitter, being completely honest SP Suk Om and GM Jesse Rodriguez appreciate the honor of being nominated but I don’t anticipate either picking up significant votes. In any case, it’s nice to have our franchise recognized in so many ways!!! Cap_PDT_01_07

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

@Hong Kong (CAN) wrote:

@Moca (VEN) wrote:

Dan, I gotta disagree with that logic. You can’t just look at saves as the metric for closers, like you can’t just look at wins as the metric for starters.

Villenas was on a team with 57 wins. He’s not going to have as many opportunities as other people, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a good closer. I don’t think it’s a complete mistake he’s not on the ballot, but neither would it be a huge mistake if he was.

When I made out the ballot a few seasons back, I included a Puerto Plata closer (as I recall) who only had 24 saves. He was on an awful team, but he was a lights-out stopper when he did get opportunities.

TBH I didn’t even look at save #’s when picking the guys, it was just part of my overall after the fact argument. And I think there was somewhere near 7-8 guys ahead of him IMO

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

Voted. Thanks for putting this together!

You don’t get Fireman of the year for washing the trucks. Cap_PDT_01_05

The problem with the awards voting is there’s no narrative or context. In real life there would be a bunch of fans and talking heads talking about this guy or that guy. We should make a point of starting an awards discussion thread next year as soon as the season’s over, then make a ballot and vote during the draft. That gives everyone a bunch of time to get their two cents in. Honestly, I pay very little attention to what happens outside my own league.

In the case of Ki-tae Yi, if you were following the USA, he would be on the ballot. Gustavo Ramos is a chump who coughed up the division for the Obeliscos, and pathetically pitched a meaningless 7 shutout innings against us to pad his stats the last game of the season – the day after Yi pitched the clincher. Fireman was dominant down the stretch going 6-0 in his last 7 including two wins against Barq, then going 2-0 in the championship to finish 21-5 for the season. Little Rat finished the season 4-4 with two losses against the Ventures.

Out of context though, it’s a stats game and his WHIP wasn’t off the charts and his ERA+ was the worst of his career, and his VORP was strangely low. Still, you have to give the voters what they want and 19-5, 2-0, and 6.0 WAR in the ultra-competitive USA are pretty juicy numbers.

Still, I’m leaning towards Harrow or Er.

Good news for the USA – Fireman has lost 3 MPH off his fastball since last season 😯

Also most-improved GM is kind of a silly award. Last season I lost 3 SPs and had a bunch of offensive injuries and under-performances but still finished with a positive run differential. I made a bunch of moves to set me up for this season, caught some lighning in a bottle from some scrubs, scratched and clawed to hold on to third place – even going as far as putting Crespin Moreno in the rotation. We held off Erie, got the #1 pick and were able to flip that in to Cajun Park this year. Yes the team improved 18 wins but only because I did some good GMing last year.

This isn’t to crap on the ballot-makers – it’s impossible to please everone. I’m crapping on all the rest of us for not making our cases during the looooooong offseason. And don’t be afraid to blow our own horns – they’re the horns that we know best!

Santiago de Cuba USA 
    Spectator

@Moca (VEN) wrote:

Villenas: 6-2, 25 saves, 1.68 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, 23.2 VORP, 1.6 WAR
    Ensunsa: 2-4, 39 saves, 2.69 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 18.1 VORP, 1.9 WAR
    Abarcas: 3-4, 43 saves, 2.35 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 25.3 VORP, 1.6 WAR

Aside from saves, Villenas is equal or better in most categories.

It doesn’t matter though because none of these three will/would beat Carrazco, Lok or Moreno.

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

Rick does make a great point that if we were Baseball journalists we would be able to say a lot more of the narrative of the season.

Cuevas isn’t getting any love b/c of his lower then other IP (my fault b/c I never skip anyone during the season) and his W/L isn’t mind blowing (again my team’s fault not his).

His QS% is astounding and outside of 1 maybe 2 starts early Cuevas was a Machine (haha pun intended) all season and was one of the most consistent pitchers/seasons I have ever had. I made a case in the other forum but I will cut some of those stats for the voters….

He Set team record for ERA in a season (obviously), K’s in a season(186) , K/BB 6.64, WHIP (0.95),OOPS .558, 2nd all time to himself in K’s per 9 w 11.7, and 3rd best ever VORP by a Moca pitcher 54.0

And my rebuttal to the argument about his IP

First the amount of innings per start.

He had 25 starts and 18 QS (for 72%). A QS is defined as 6 ip with 3 er or less. So he had to go 6ip at least 18 times.

Of those 7 other games 3 times he went 5.2 in a winning effort in which 1 more out and it would have been a QS.

The other 4 … twice just bad starts and twice errors in the field lead to unearned runs.

So I still think he pitched a good amount.

Also I don’t like to keep my SP in beyond 6-7 anyway this year b/c my pen is/[was for most of the year] strong.

So Vote Cuevas over the “other” guys. :mrgreen:

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

I voted for Carrazco, but Moreno had the best WAR, VORP, and WHIP of the bunch, and didn’t give up a run, earned or otherwise in his last 27 appearances of the season, covering 32 innings, then had 4.2 scoreless innings and two saves in the Championship. That’s lights-out.

Moca DOM 
    Spectator

@Vancouver (USA) wrote:

I voted for Carrazco, but Moreno had the best WAR, VORP, and WHIP of the bunch, and didn’t give up a run, earned or otherwise in his last 27 appearances of the season, covering 32 innings, then had 4.2 scoreless innings and two saves in the Championship. That’s lights-out.

Where did you find those appearance stats for last year b/c I know Carazco went a LONG time before giving up his first run of the season, I would love to check those out. I can’t seem to pull up the game log anymore for last year

Vancouver CUB 
    Spectator

I have a file from 9/23/2034 so it still has the game logs.

Looks like Carrazco didn’t give up an earned run until 6/18 – 25 appearances and 25.1 innings if I counted correctly. He did give up 4 unearned runs in that span, but obviously didn’t blow any saves.

Taegu JPN 
    Spectator

voted

Quebec USA 
    Spectator

@Hong Kong (CAN) wrote:

MOST IMPROVED GM
    C.J. Knowles QUEBEC DRAGONS (KOR) 68-52, +19 wins, 2nd KOR LON

Thanks for putting all this together, really appreciate the hard work. Just wanted to mention that my name isn’t C.J. Knowles!!!

Bocas del Toro VEN 
    Spectator

@Quebec (KOR) wrote:

@Hong Kong (CAN) wrote:

MOST IMPROVED GM
    C.J. Knowles QUEBEC DRAGONS (KOR) 68-52, +19 wins, 2nd KOR LON

Thanks for putting all this together, really appreciate the hard work. Just wanted to mention that my name isn’t C.J. Knowles!!!

Have you thought changing it to CJ Knowles? That’d make things a lot easier 😆

Hong Kong CUB 
    Spectator

@Quebec (KOR) wrote:

Jake: Sorry about that…I hadn’t updated my master GM spreadsheet.

Changsha JPN 
    Spectator

Just a quick point.
    Nemesio Valadón had poor overall defense behind him last year. (compared to other’s on the ballot)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOIN US

If you would like to join, send us a message with a little bit about you and your OOTP history.

Sending

©2019 World Baseball Hierarchy

or

or    

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar